Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Is daughter entitled to stay if I leave

Is daughter entitled to stay if I leave

Old May 12th 2007, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

wisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud of
Default Is daughter entitled to stay if I leave

Hi just wondering, if once I live in the USA with my daughter and husband I decide I do not like it and want to come back to the UK is my daughter entitled to stay (she is currently 19) or would she have to leave with me? I am sure this won't happen but she is panicking that she will get a job and then have to leave if I do.
Old May 12th 2007, 6:19 pm

Default Re: Is daughter entitled to stay if I leave

On May 12, 1:17 pm, wisewol <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Hi just wondering, if once I live in the USA with my daughter and
> husband I decide I do not like it and want to come back to the UK is my
> daughter entitled to stay (she is currently 19) or would she have to
> leave with me? I am sure this won't happen but she is panicking that she
> will get a job and then have to leave if I do.
>
> --
> Posted viahttp://britishexpats.com

A permanent resident is authorized to permanently reside in the U.S. -
I hope that that answers your question (if not, please specify the
status of your daughter)

Old May 12th 2007, 9:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wisewol
Hi just wondering, if once I live in the USA with my daughter and husband I decide I do not like it and want to come back to the UK is my daughter entitled to stay (she is currently 19) or would she have to leave with me? I am sure this won't happen but she is panicking that she will get a job and then have to leave if I do.

Is your husband a USC and if so, then his daughter would be one as well.

If your husband is not a USC, may I ask under which visa are the three of you planning to use to enter the US.

Although you posted this question in the marriage-based forum, you don't specify how you are entering the US.

If you daughter obtains permanency residency status, of course, she can remain in the US without her parents, is an adult. The same if she is a USC.
Old May 13th 2007, 1:13 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

hi wisewol,
clearly not enough information..

Citizenship of involved parties, when marriage took place if daughter isn't from both of you, visa type you'll be coming to the States on, visa daughter is coming on.. those are good places to start.
Old May 13th 2007, 1:14 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
hi wisewol,

Citizenship of involved parties, when marriage took place if daughter isn't from both of you, visa type you'll be coming to the States on, visa daughter is coming on.. those are good places to start.

That's what I said if I could see my own post
Old May 13th 2007, 1:18 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
That's what I said if I could see my own post
you can't see it? I had the window hanging open awhile--missed you myself.

Oh well, a little repetition never killed us, lol.
Old May 13th 2007, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

wisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud of

Ok Sorry i obvioulsy wrote in a hurry !
I am a USC and we are applying through the I130 visa process. My husband is born and breed UK as is my daughter who is now 19. We have been married 21 years and unfortunately my daughter does not qualify for USC from me as I have not lived in the USA for many years

Originally Posted by meauxna
hi wisewol,

Old May 13th 2007, 9:01 pm

On May 13, 2:54 pm, wisewol <[email protected]>
wrote:
> > hi wisewol,
> > clearly not enough information..
>
> > Citizenship of involved parties, when marriage took place if daughter
> > isn't from both of you, visa type you'll be coming to the States on,
> > visa daughter is coming on.. those are good places to start.
>
> Ok Sorry i obvioulsy wrote in a hurry !
> I am a USC and we are applying through the I130 visa process. My husband
> is born and breed UK as is my daughter who is now 19. We have been
> married 21 years and unfortunately my daughter does not qualify for USC
> from me as I have not lived in the USA for many years
>
> --
> Posted viahttp://britishexpats.com

In that case, she would be a permanent resident and I confirm:
A permanent resident is authorized to permanently reside (and work) in
the U.S.

Old May 14th 2007, 1:00 am
Concierge

Ok Sorry i obvioulsy wrote in a hurry !
I am a USC and we are applying through the I130 visa process. My husband is born and breed UK as is my daughter who is now 19. We have been married 21 years and unfortunately my daughter does not qualify for USC from me as I have not lived in the USA for many years

Has the US Consulate told you she is not a USC?
Old May 14th 2007, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

Yes she does not meet the criteria as I left the USA as a small child and have not lived there since.
Old May 14th 2007, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Yes she does not meet the criteria as I left the USA as a small child and have not lived there since.
I don't know if it will affect your daughter since she's 19, but read up about the Child Citizenship Act. I'm not sure if the cut-off age is 18 or 21, but if eligible age-wise it would most likely make your daughter a US citizen the moment she arrives in the US as a permanent resident.
Old May 14th 2007, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Okay I had some time to look it up for you, but the cut-off age is 18, so she won't benefit from that.