Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Cuban Ajustment Act 1996 – eeeek im lost.

Cuban Ajustment Act 1996 – eeeek im lost.

Old Sep 29th 2004, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

lelou is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Cuban Ajustment Act 1996 – more info needed but I cant find any!

My step dad is Cuban citizen here in the UK at the moment and my three little brothers are still living in Cuba. We have heard talk about the Cuban Ajustment Act that lets Cubans basically have special right when they get inside the US, they can get a work permit and 12month later get a green card. I have looked it up and im trying to find as much information about it as possible but all I can find is this link from the uscis site
http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/residency/CAA.htm

I was wondering if any one else out there has anymore information about this or where I could find more information other than on the USCISs link. I really really would appreciate it if anyone knows this information or can direct me to somewhere where I can find it. I am especially interested in finding out how old the Cuban citizen needs to be to be able to adjust under this act.

Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited by lelou; Oct 1st 2004 at 12:36 am.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 1:10 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cuban Ajustment Act 1996 – eeeek im lost.

That law, I believe and welcome others to correct me, is for Cubans who arrive in the US directly from Cuba not from other countries, i.e. the UK. He was lucky enough to make it out of Cuba and live in a free country, why do you think he would be granted special favors to reside in the US?

Originally Posted by lelou
My step dad is Cuban citizen living here with us in the UK, in the Cuban community they are a lot of talk about the Cuban Ajustment Act that lets Cubans basically have special right when they get inside the US, they can get a work permit and 12month later get a green card. I have looked it up and im trying to find as much information about it as possible but all I can find is this link from the uscis site
http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/residency/CAA.htm

I was wondering if any one else out there has anymore information about this or where I could find more information. Being in the UK its hard to find an immigration lawyer here who knows anything about this so I really would appreciate anything any one could possibly tell me. The most important question I would like to be sure about is whether it is just the Cuban citizen or his family too who can get a work permit? The other question is do we (my mam, my brothers and my step dad) need to enter the US at the same time? I really really would appreciate it if anyone knows this information or can direct me to somewhere where I can find it.

Thank you very much in advance.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 1:53 am
Just Joined

lelou is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
That law, I believe and welcome others to correct me, is for Cubans who arrive in the US directly from Cuba not from other countries, i.e. the UK. He was lucky enough to make it out of Cuba and live in a free country, why do you think he would be granted special favors to reside in the US?
There is no way for a Cuban to go directly from Cuba to the US, they all have to go to another country first as the US as an embargo on cuba.( unless they swim over!!!) So I dont see him being in the UK at the moment as being a problem. But thank you very much for taking the time to reply back anyway
Old Oct 9th 2004, 3:13 am
Ingo Pakleppa - see web site for email

Default Re: Cuban Ajustment Act 1996 ? eeeek im lost.

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:53:26 +0000, lelou wrote:

>
    >> That law, I believe and welcome others to correct me, is for Cubans
    >> who arrive in the US directly from Cuba not from other countries, i.e.
    >> the UK. He was lucky enough to make it out of Cuba and live in a free
    >> country, why do you think he would be granted special favors to reside
    >> in the US?
    >
    > There is no way for a Cuban to go directly from Cuba to the US, they all
    > have to go to another country first as the US as an embargo on cuba.(
    > unless they swim over!!!) So I dont see him being in the UK at the
    > moment as being a problem. But thank you very much for taking the time
    > to reply back anyway :)

Actually, there are direct flights between the US and Cuba; there are
exceptions to the embargo.

Still, my impression (and I really don't know this) is that, just as you
say, it does not actually matter how the Cuban arrived in the US. Rete's
rationale is interesting, but as far as I know, wrong. The CAA isn't
intended as some kind of refugee policy (for that, we'd have the regular
refugee or asylum processes, and people from many countries who are in
far deeper trouble and more deserving). It's intended as a political tool
due to a special relationship between the USA and Cuba.

--
Remember, I am strictly a layperson without any legal training. I encourage
everybody to seek competent legal counsel rather than relying on usenet
newsgroups.

Please support H.R. 539, H.R. 832 and S. 1510. More information at
http://www.kkeane.com/lobbyspousal-faq.shtml

Please visit my new FAQ at http://www.kkeane.com (always under construction)

My email address in usenet posts is now invalid for spam protection. See
my Web site for information on how to contact me.

Please feel free to enjoy some of my photographs at my Web site
http://www.ingopakleppa.com ! Comments are welcome.

Old Feb 5th 2005, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

Karlshammar has a brilliant futureKarlshammar has a brilliant futureKarlshammar has a brilliant futureKarlshammar has a brilliant futureKarlshammar has a brilliant futureKarlshammar has a brilliant future

No, you can come from anywhere. As long as you're a Cuban citizen or national, you and your spouse and kids are eligible to adjust under the act. You could be a dual citizen Brit and Cuban, make millions a year and come over on a tourist visa for fun and just stay and adjust under the Act. Yeah, the Cuban Adjustment Act is quite special... All Cubans are granted special favors, unless they're criminals or junkies or something like that.

Old Feb 5th 2005, 9:09 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

You're partly right. I believe if the Cuban is determined to have resettled in a safe third country they may not be allowed to stay or get a green card. For example, if the person has lived legally in the UK for several years, they may be denied because they are no longer fleeing Cuba. They consider it on a case by case basis.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Karlshammar has a brilliant futureKarlshammar has a brilliant futureKarlshammar has a brilliant futureKarlshammar has a brilliant futureKarlshammar has a brilliant futureKarlshammar has a brilliant future

Not true. See my post above. As long are you're a Cuban citizen or national, you're in, provided you're not otherwise disqualified, such as by being a criminal.

As far as I know, only one person was ever denied for having already resettled. That person was a dual citizen of Cuba and a European country (I forget which one). He appealed his denial to the Board of Immigration Appeals, won and got his green card.

Originally Posted by crg14624
You're partly right. I believe if the Cuban is determined to have resettled in a safe third country they may not be allowed to stay or get a green card. For example, if the person has lived legally in the UK for several years, they may be denied because they are no longer fleeing Cuba. They consider it on a case by case basis.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 2:51 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karlshammar
Not true. See my post above. As long are you're a Cuban citizen or national, you're in, provided you're not otherwise disqualified, such as by being a criminal.

As far as I know, only one person was ever denied for having already resettled. That person was a dual citizen of Cuba and a European country (I forget which one). He appealed his denial to the Board of Immigration Appeals, won and got his green card.
It is in the law somewhere, isn't it? Maybe the BIA is holding out for the Cuban who's been resettled for 40 years to set the precedent.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

It's not in the law anywhere. The law basically just requires that a) you're a Cuban citizen or national and b) you have been in the USA for 1 year and c) you arrived at an open port-of-entry OR you have been paroled. The law nowhere mentions coming straight (or promptly) from Cuba, dual citizenship or residence in another country or length of residence anywhere, except for the 1-year in the USA requirement.

The BIA has already ruled on the matter, as I mentioned, and any ruling by the BIA is precedent-setting and binding on the USCIS nationwide.

To sum it up, if you wanna come here permanently, being Cuban is the best way!

Originally Posted by crg14624
It is in the law somewhere, isn't it? Maybe the BIA is holding out for the Cuban who's been resettled for 40 years to set the precedent.