Could I qualify for an L1 visa ?

Old Oct 28th 2009, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

ginger6104 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Could I qualify for an L1 visa ?

I am a current employee of the UK national government department of health. I have arranged a secondment to New York City Department of heath for a period of up to two years. In terms of how I will be paid, I will remain employed by UK Department of health but I will be paid by the NYC department of health. Whilst they are not the same organisation the idea is that I will go and take ideas from the UK to NYC and when I return bring ideas back from NYC to the UK.

I understand that an H1B is probably the most straightforward route but I wondered if I might qualify for and L1 as it would allow my spouse to apply for a work permit too.

Grateful for your advice
Old Oct 28th 2009, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could I qualify for an L1 visa ?

Originally Posted by ginger6104
I wondered if I might qualify for and L1 as it would allow my spouse to apply for a work permit too.
No. The L-1 visa is for intracompany transfers... these companies are not related.

Ian
Old Oct 29th 2009, 8:28 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could I qualify for an L1 visa ?

Originally Posted by ginger6104
I am a current employee of the UK national government department of health. I have arranged a secondment to New York City Department of heath for a period of up to two years. In terms of how I will be paid, I will remain employed by UK Department of health but I will be paid by the NYC department of health. Whilst they are not the same organisation the idea is that I will go and take ideas from the UK to NYC and when I return bring ideas back from NYC to the UK.

I understand that an H1B is probably the most straightforward route but I wondered if I might qualify for and L1 as it would allow my spouse to apply for a work permit too.

Grateful for your advice
I ditto Ian on this one. However, depending on your uni degree, the job description, and your credentials, an H-1B would appear do-able.

--J Craig Fong
Los Angeles, CA