Conversion from L-1 to L-2

Old Mar 1st 2019, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute
Default Conversion from L-1 to L-2

My wife and I are both currently in the US on L-1 visa's.

She'd like to convert to my dependent on an L-2 so she can work for a different employer under an EAD.

As far as I can see this will necessitate her resigning from her current position, returning to the UK to apply for the L-2, entering the US on the L-2 and then applying for the EAD.

All in all we're expecting (budgeting) for her to be unable to work for 3 months or so.

Thought I'd see if anyone could surmise of an alternative plan that would minimise the break in her employment?
Old Mar 1st 2019, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Conversion from L-1 to L-2

I think she can apply while still working for L1 employer.
When she gets the L2 she can stay or leave her current employer.

(I may be wrong)
Old Mar 1st 2019, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

You can have multiple valid visas at any given time, so she could remain on her L1 whilst also having an L2. Theoretically I believe she could return to the UK to apply for the L2, return to the US on her L2, apply for an EAD; then she'd have to leave again (without having worked for her employer) and return and be re-entered under her original L1 (and resume her work for original petitioning employer)

Once the EAD arrives, she'd need to re-enter again on the L2 (which would need to be reflected on her i94) and she would be able to work freely on her L2 (EAD) status.

Honestly sounds like a lot of hassle, but it should be possible, I believe.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if it's necessary to leave though.
https://www.uscis.gov/i-539
Old Mar 1st 2019, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Right, you could change visas without leaving, but then you’d still have the inability to work for 3 months whilst waiting for the EAD post successfully changing to an L2..
Old Mar 1st 2019, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just keep working in her current job then move jobs when she gets the L2 and EAD?

(I may be talking nonsense)
Old Mar 1st 2019, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Just keep working in her current job then move jobs when she gets the L2 and EAD?

(I may be talking nonsense)
The only way to get the L2 though would be to convert her current visa to an L2 OR via an embassy

If she was to convert the L1 to L2, she'd have to cease work immediately until the EAD arrives. (Hence causing the 3-5 month unemployment they're trying to avoid)

Having both the L1 AND the L2 would allow her to work on the L1 until she re-enters under the L2.
Old Mar 2nd 2019, 3:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

She can not convert a visa in country, she can change Status.

Big unknown is how long it will take for an EAD to come through, I have seen people post on here getting them pretty quick, others seem to be taking much much longer.

Her L2 would of course then depend on you retaining your L1.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice all.

Assuming she can keep both her original L-1 and L-2 visas concurrently I think we may adopt TheKingofHearts strategy of switching between the status by entering and leaving the US in order to apply for her EAD whilst maintaining her ability to work for her current employer.

Whilst it would be a bit of a faff requiring 3 trips, at least she could continue to work during the indefinite period in which we're waiting for her EAD to arrive.

When I applied for an EAD (i used to be on an L-2) it took 42 days initially and 60 when i renewed. So both substantially shorter than the quoted timescales on uscis, but nevertheless you can't be sure.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 5:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You can only be admitted to the USA in one category. If she leaves the USA and returns on an L2, she cannot work until she has an EAD in hand.

Two visas can be in her passport, but she can only have one status at a time. . not both.

Rene
Old Mar 4th 2019, 5:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I keep on seeing these long EAD times, but for Family categories, wonder if it is different for work?
Old Mar 4th 2019, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You can only be admitted to the USA in one category. If she leaves the USA and returns on an L2, she cannot work until she has an EAD in hand.

Two visas can be in her passport, but she can only have one status at a time. . not both.

Rene
I'm aware of that, but I believe she could enter on her L-2, apply for the EAD, leave and then re-enter on her original L-1 in order to continue working at her original employer, as per TheKingofHeart's suggestion.