UK to NYC move - which visa?

Old Feb 27th 2019, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

teeps123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK to NYC move - which visa?

Hi all,

Just looking for some direction re moving to nyc! I’m 23 years old, university educated, self employed makeup artist with family in Long Island.
Now they have offered me to live with them, and if I swindled a job in Manhattan I could commute, the thing I can’t get my head around is the visas! Would it be best to do the 90 days and apply for a working visa / try to get a job in my industry once I’m already there, or would a simple job in retail etc require sponsorship by an employer before I moved?
Or alternatively could I get sponsorship by my family and apply for a working visa straight off so I could start working as soon as I arrived?

Any advice / further links appreciated!

Last edited by teeps123; Feb 27th 2019 at 10:18 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2019, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to NYC move

This is a good place to start. See if any apply to you and come back.
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...ork_in_the_USA

You can't apply for a work visa. You need an employer to apply for a visa for you in order that you might work for them. This typically costs $5k and above, so you need to be able to perform an in demand role that an employer is willing to pay a lot of money for. i.e. you're not going to get a visa for a retail job - even if they qualified for a visa, which they don't.

By far the simplest means to obtain a visa is to work for a large multinational company in the UK for a year and then have them transfer you.

If the family is close they can sponsor you for a visa, but it needs to be immediate family i.e. parents or siblings and even then it's a long process.

If you have about half a million dollars you might have a couple of extra options.
Old Feb 27th 2019, 11:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to NYC move - which visa?

University educated. . what is your degree in?
Family in Long Island... what relatives? Parents, siblings?

Rene
Old Feb 28th 2019, 12:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Unless family includes a spouse or there is something significant you have not mentioned there is no route anytime soon.
Old Feb 28th 2019, 10:45 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I would assume that the OP found the information in Pulaskis to be somewhat dishearting, and may have left the building.

OP - Despite it's reputation as an immigrant mecca, the US is actually one of the hardest places in the world for which to get a visa to live and work.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 4:19 am
Banned

jsted is an unknown quantity at this point

Given that around a million people legally migrate to the US each year I find this a somewhat ludicrous statement to say!

Want a hard country to migrate to...look at Japan or North Korea perhaps!
Old Mar 4th 2019, 11:07 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really care how 'ludicrous' you find it (btw - over the top much?)

Unless you fit in one of a relatively small number of narrowly defined categories, you aren't coming to the US as anything other than a visitor.

Look at how many new posters we get here that have no path to a visa.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 12:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jsted
Given that around a million people legally migrate to the US each year I find this a somewhat ludicrous statement to say!

So then, after reading Pulaski's Ways, which visa applies to you?

Rene
Old Mar 4th 2019, 12:23 pm
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by Noorah101
So then, after reading Pulaski's Ways, which visa applies to you?

Rene
He's already here on an H1B... he's not the OP
Old Mar 4th 2019, 12:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Given that around a million people legally migrate to the US each year I find this a somewhat ludicrous statement to say! ….
But they fit into the very narrowly defined categories of permitted visas. Remarkably, the UK remains a very large source of migrants to the US, because of a combination of many corporations having operations in both countries, and many people having family here; I suspect that international marriages are on the rise too, partly linked to more students going in both directions to study. So unfortunately it is extremely hard for most people to get a visa to live in the US, in fact practically impossible in most cases, but extremely easy for those who meet the criteria.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 4th 2019 at 1:49 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

It is over a million a year, assuming current policies continue there will be an additional 80 million on the next 40 years, so the numbers are not insignificant.

As Mr P point out, the numbers involved are very large but the demand is much much larger and the opportunity is not evenly spread.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 1:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

From the USCIS "Since 2000, legal immigrants to the United States number approximately 1,000,000 per year, of whom about 600,000 are Change of Status who already are in the U.S. Legal immigrants to the United States now are at their highest level ever, at just over 37,000,000 legal immigrants."

600,000 people did a change of status which means that they were either here in the US already on valid visas, i.e. work or married to US citizens. 400,000 were divided between the lottery, refugees, sanctuary recipients, etc.

On the surface it appears simple to emigrate to the US but in reality it is far from the truth. Unless you have special skills or at the top of your career, you won't get a work visa that will allow you to get a foot in the door. Unless you have to throw away on a business that is destined to fail, again, the door is closed to you. You have a criminal history of CIMTs, the bar across the door locks you out.

The size of the US compared to the size of North Korea or Japan is like looking at a 5 lb Prime Rib Roast and a handful of peanuts. No comparison. No comparison either on government policies. The US can physically support 1M people per year.

If you are young, unskilled, or lack the correct skills, and want to move to the US to bask in the California or Florida sunshine, forget about it. That's reality.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 1:50 pm
Account Closed

Most new green cards go to people already living in U.S.

This is a Pew report from some time ago, I am not sure of it matters if people adjust or go through Consular processing.

Not sure where the UK is in the list but not top 10 and not sure it matters, the big numbers come from where you would normally expect, those with big populations/large numbers here who can sponsor.

The main difference in my mind is between the numerically capped and uncapped categories, Assuming no policy changes then the growth will obviously be in uncapped categories.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 1:51 pm
Banned

jsted is an unknown quantity at this point

Main point is there are routes into this country that allow substantial numbers into this country. In Japan there are none for example.

Saying that US can sustain 1m immigrants a year is very open to debate given the infrastructure here is creaky to say the least on every level.

Looking at my case got a cap exempt h1b easily again to get the equivalent in the UK almost impossible. Within a year of being here got an EB2 NIW approved (I140) again in England or just about any European county to get permanent residence approved via employment in a year as I did here is impossible so I have to disagree this is a process driven country but immigration wise not difficult at all to move here.

Old Mar 4th 2019, 2:12 pm
Account Closed

Main point is there are routes into this country that allow substantial numbers into this country. In Japan there are none for example.

Saying that US can sustain 1m immigrants a year is very open to debate given the infrastructure here is creaky to say the least on every level.

Looking at my case got a cap exempt h1b easily again to get the equivalent in the UK almost impossible. Within a year of being here got an EB2 NIW approved (I140) again in England or just about any European county to get permanent residence approved via employment in a year as I did here is impossible so I have to disagree this is a process driven country but immigration wise not difficult at all to move here.

Well yes I agree that there are more options for work, however still about 13% of the total.

The big number is in the family category, 70% or so and that percentage includes most of the non capped area so will be the one where the big future numbers will be, well Refugees is another one but also an impossible to guess category.

PS Taking an average since 2000 seems meaningless, you need to look at the trends.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.