Confusing N-400 Questions.

Old Jul 18th 2003, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

zygos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confusing N-400 Questions.

Hi,

I've noticed that with some of the N-400 questions I have a moral regard as to exactly they mean by such questions.

For instance on 10 "Have you EVER advocated (Either directly or indirectly) the overthrow of any government by force or violence?

Now I would assume this actually correlates to the US. But if I supported the war on Iraq, or Afganistan should I answer yes to this question?

Or 15 Have you ever commited a crime or offence for which you were not arrested?

Now again, what exactly is a crime. Is it a felony like stealing, shoplifting, burglary, or murder. (None of which I've never been involved in). Is it also things like Jay walking, spitting on sidewalks, lying...etc. Or does it even go into more moral crimes. Also what if I commited a crime that I didn't know it was a crime at the time and only realized later it was so? Or have yet to even realize it now? I find these sort of questions difficult to answer, and almost feel like I want to put a check mark in both spaces. But I assume that wouldn't be correct.

Then a little bit off the subject. I've been registered with the selective service since I think it was 18...(Seeing every resident has to be) where is the best place to look up your selective service number?

Anyhow, I'm currently looking into becoming a duel citizen, and I've been a resident here for well almost 8 years.

Thank you for any responce.

Zygos
Old Jul 19th 2003, 3:40 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confusing N-400 Questions.

You must be the most pedantic person in the world... if you want your citizenship you know the answers to the questions..
Old Jul 19th 2003, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Confusing N-400 Questions.

Relax and learn to cut through the red tape.

1 Govt? Regime.

2 Felony as legally defined. I have heard shoplifting is definitely a felony. Either forget minor offences since you don't remember the details or you'll have to explain your answer at the least.

Everything is to be answered "within reason," as they like to say in court.

3 Selective Service verification - easiest thing in the world. you can check over the web or by automated phone. see http://www.sss.gov/

Originally posted by zygos
Hi,

I've noticed that with some of the N-400 questions I have a moral regard as to exactly they mean by such questions.

For instance on 10 "Have you EVER advocated (Either directly or indirectly) the overthrow of any government by force or violence?

Now I would assume this actually correlates to the US. But if I supported the war on Iraq, or Afganistan should I answer yes to this question?

Or 15 Have you ever commited a crime or offence for which you were not arrested?

Now again, what exactly is a crime. Is it a felony like stealing, shoplifting, burglary, or murder. (None of which I've never been involved in). Is it also things like Jay walking, spitting on sidewalks, lying...etc. Or does it even go into more moral crimes. Also what if I commited a crime that I didn't know it was a crime at the time and only realized later it was so? Or have yet to even realize it now? I find these sort of questions difficult to answer, and almost feel like I want to put a check mark in both spaces. But I assume that wouldn't be correct.

Then a little bit off the subject. I've been registered with the selective service since I think it was 18...(Seeing every resident has to be) where is the best place to look up your selective service number?

Anyhow, I'm currently looking into becoming a duel citizen, and I've been a resident here for well almost 8 years.

Thank you for any responce.

Zygos