Confused about I 751

Old Feb 12th 2001, 2:56 am
James Furiosi

My wife's (Emma) passport has a stamp which is temporary evidence for admission and
expires in late April of 2001. She came in under a K1 Visa back in April, 1999, and we did
the Adjustment of Status interview a long time ago. We have been married for almost two
years since May 28, 1999.

This leads me to believe we must file the I 751 to remove the conditions of residence BUT
Emma has a permanent residence card which is good until April of 2002!

Now what the heck are we supposed to do? If we wait until April 2002, what do we do then?
Do we file the I 751 anyway? If so, we better get moving on it since that 90 day window is
practically here!

And as a sidenote- don't think that once you get the intial visa stuff done it ever ends!
Always keep on your toes about this stuff.

Jim (confused)

Old Feb 12th 2001, 10:26 am
Alvena Ferreira

James Furiosi wrote:
> My wife's (Emma) passport has a stamp which is temporary evidence for admission and
> expires in late April of 2001. She came in under a K1 Visa back in April, 1999, and we
> did the Adjustment of Status interview a long time ago. We have been married for almost
> two years since May 28, 1999. This leads me to believe we must file the I 751 to remove
> the conditions of residence BUT Emma has a permanent residence card which is good until
> April of 2002! Now what the heck are we supposed to do? If we wait until April 2002,
> what do we do then? Do we file the I 751 anyway? If so, we better get moving on it since
> that 90 day window is practically here!
>
OK, HERE IS HOW IT WORKS: They gave her the passport stamp to suffice UNTIL she received
the permanent resident (green) card...however, the date of expiration of her residence is
NOT determined by the stamp (the stamp is only good for one year usually). Her expiration
of residence is governed by the actual card, so THAT is the date that you use to know when
to file for removal of conditions.'

alvena

Old Feb 12th 2001, 4:03 pm
James Furiosi

Now that makes sense considering the backlog of cases. We will wait until next year to do
the paperwork to remove conditions.

Thanks,

Jim Alvena Ferreira wrote:
>
> James Furiosi wrote:
> > My wife's (Emma) passport has a stamp which is temporary evidence for admission and
> > expires in late April of 2001. She came in under a K1 Visa back in April, 1999, and we
> > did the Adjustment of Status interview a long time ago. We have been married for
> > almost two years since May 28, 1999. This leads me to believe we must file the I 751
> > to remove the conditions of residence BUT Emma has a permanent residence card which is
> > good until April of 2002! Now what the heck are we supposed to do? If we wait until
> > April 2002, what do we do then? Do we file the I 751 anyway? If so, we better get
> > moving on it since that 90 day window is practically here!
> >
> OK, HERE IS HOW IT WORKS: They gave her the passport stamp to suffice UNTIL she received
> the permanent resident (green) card...however, the date of expiration of her residence
> is NOT determined by the stamp (the stamp is only good for one year usually). Her
> expiration of residence is governed by the actual card, so THAT is the date that you use
> to know when to file for removal of conditions.'
>
> alvena