Confused about H1b visa window

Old May 7th 2009, 12:51 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused about H1b visa window

Originally Posted by ginger6104
Yes we are planning to marry before moving. I am aware of the H4 stuff , which is why we are BOTh trying to get H1b visas separately
Whoa! That's a long-shot. Good luck!
Old May 7th 2009, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

ginger6104 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks- if anyone can offer any advice to make our dreams come true , then please let me know !
Old May 7th 2009, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ginger6104
Thanks- if anyone can offer any advice to make our dreams come true , then please let me know !
I don't know that it's so much of a long-shot. If at least one of you gets an H-1B, and you don't mind living frugally for a while, the other can come on an H-4 and continue looking for an employer willing to sponsor for H-1B. If you look at it that way, you're in a better position than most
Old May 7th 2009, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

If you work in child/youth policy stuff, you might be able to work for a non-profit which would potentially be exempt from the cap. Government jobs can also be exempt. But of course the difficulty is securing employment. It's hard to do when you are still in the UK. Non-profits are often quite popular with the younger crowd, and the pay can be terrible unless you are higher up in the food chain. A government job might be the way forward. I'm not sure.

I think the biggest challenge might be finding employment for your partner. She'll need to have very specific skills in advertising to go for the H1, I'd imagine. My impression is that the US is not short of advertising people.

Does she work for an international firm? An L1 transfer might be worth looking into if that's the case.
Old May 7th 2009, 10:56 pm
ihe
Forum Regular

ihe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by caleyjag
You have to apply IMMEDIATELY.

The window is still open, but it closes as soon as the 65000 visas are allocated.

Also, it's not you that has to apply, it's your employer, so you need to get the job sorted out first.
Are you eligible for sponsorship if you are awaiting your degree (i.e graduating in the summer)?
Old May 7th 2009, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

malj has a spectacular aura aboutmalj has a spectacular aura aboutmalj has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ihe
Are you eligible for sponsorship if you are awaiting your degree (i.e graduating in the summer)?
For a position that requires a bachelor degree or higher, part of the application process involves showing proof of said degree. If you were to get sponsored tomorrow, you wouldn't have proof of this as you have not yet graduated.
Old May 8th 2009, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malj
For a position that requires a bachelor degree or higher, part of the application process involves showing proof of said degree. If you were to get sponsored tomorrow, you wouldn't have proof of this as you have not yet graduated.
I'm enrolled in a 4 year program that leads to a BA and MEng, both granted together at the end of this June. I was able (after some hassle) to get myself assessed as already having the equivalent of a US bachelor's degree based on the work I've already completed, even though I haven't graduated yet.
Old May 8th 2009, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

malj has a spectacular aura aboutmalj has a spectacular aura aboutmalj has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by henryh
I'm enrolled in a 4 year program that leads to a BA and MEng, both granted together at the end of this June. I was able (after some hassle) to get myself assessed as already having the equivalent of a US bachelor's degree based on the work I've already completed, even though I haven't graduated yet.
Well there you go! I stand corrected. I guess at this point of the year, when basically all one is waiting on is the actual diploma it wouldn't be so much of a problem.