Compulsory insurance and LPRs

Old Oct 28th 2009, 1:39 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Compulsory insurance and LPRs

It occurs to me that, in all of the sound and fury over heath care, we've neglected to look at one issue which might be directly relevant to many of us on here. Shame on us, on an expats board.

There's been a lot of talk about health insurance becoming compulsory, with fines for folks who don't buy any (as I think happens in MA, today). In parallel with that, there's been talk of some form of benefits for the low paid, to assist them with the cost of buying such insurance.

But all of us who came over in the family based categories (and have yet to naturalise or get 40 quarters of social security) have a sponsor who has signed an affidavit of support, promising to repay any benefits we might claim, as we're not allowed them.

So how's that likely to work out, for those of us who are skint? Are we going to be in a catch 22 situation, either facing fines because we can't afford insurance, or avoiding the fines by claiming benefits we're not entitled to and landing our sponsor (often our spouse) in the turd?

What do people think? I'm just asking about this one, very narrow, issue - not healthcare reform in general.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 8:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Compulsory insurance and LPRs

Originally Posted by chartreuse

There's been a lot of talk about health insurance becoming compulsory, with fines for folks who don't buy any (as I think happens in MA, today). In parallel with that, there's been talk of some form of benefits for the low paid, to assist them with the cost of buying such insurance.
In Mass the fines come at tax time, up to $1200 a person.

If you don't get it offered through work you can buy it from the state as a group plan, it's rubbish and not that cheap. If your really poor you can get reduced rates, but again it's pretty rubbish.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 8:46 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I've been following it with the same question in mind, c. The wording I have read is that PRs are included in the coverage option, so it would not be the same as using current means-tested benies.
I wouldn't be concerned about it in general and since you'll be natz eligible by the time they ever actually inact something it'll be personally moot.

I'm irritated by how long it's going to take to get anything going even once a bill is passed. They apparently don't get the part about people being sunk *this year* aka *now*.. not 5 years from now.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:14 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
I've been following it with the same question in mind, c. The wording I have read is that PRs are included in the coverage option, so it would not be the same as using current means-tested benies.
Thanks Mo. I can see how that would make sense, if there's a public option, but what if the insurance companies get their way and all we end up with is fines for not having private cover?

Surely, then, any benefits would be means tested? And I can't see any politician sticking their neck out to promote a carve-out for immigrants, regardless of the fact that they're legal ones.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 4:39 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Thanks Mo. I can see how that would make sense, if there's a public option, but what if the insurance companies get their way and all we end up with is fines for not having private cover?

Surely, then, any benefits would be means tested? And I can't see any politician sticking their neck out to promote a carve-out for immigrants, regardless of the fact that they're legal ones.
I definitely see how you're thinking.. I'm just going on the specificly added 'legal immigrants' being included.
Not every means-tested benefit is excluded under I-864; I'm sure they'll find a way around it.