I94W Form and Long Stay

Old Nov 1st 2009, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

Dprice99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I94W Form and Long Stay

Hi All,

I have done the obligatory searching and not found exact answers to my two questions, so here goes.

1. I have an I94W form stub still stapled into my passport from a 4 week trip I made to the US in June 2008. No funny business involved it has just been overlooked until now. I have been on two more holidays to the US since then and no airport staff or border officer has removed it and I have therefore assumed it to be innocuous. I'm returning to the US in January and wonder if I should just leave it, post it somewhere or, heaven forbid, throw it away and pretend I never saw it.

2. For my trip to the US in January I would ideally like to go for 6 months to travel/be a tourist. I have the money to do this, I will be leaving a reasonably nice job voluntarily and will be using, as a base, the house of a friend (American) of mine whilst there. I have all of my family in the UK and will not be giving up my place of residence in the UK.

I was going to apply for the B2 as the VWP is for < 90 days. However I have read that I am likely to have that rejected as I am eligable for the VWP. So...

Am I being unrealistic in wanting to travel around the US for 6 months?

If I apply for a B2 and then have it rejected because I am eligable for the WVP, would that not then make me ineligible for the VWP? I don't really want to throw my right to use the VWP away gambling for the sake of an additional 3 months sightseeing.

Any practical advice most appreciated,

Dan
Old Nov 1st 2009, 10:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I94W Form and Long Stay

Originally Posted by Dprice99
1. I have an I94W form stub still stapled into my passport from a 4 week trip I made to the US in June 2008. No funny business involved it has just been overlooked until now. I have been on two more holidays to the US since then and no airport staff or border officer has removed it and I have therefore assumed it to be innocuous. I'm returning to the US in January and wonder if I should just leave it, post it somewhere or, heaven forbid, throw it away and pretend I never saw it.
There is an address to mail it back to the USA. Do NOT throw it away. Google "didn't turn in I-94W" or something similar and get the address in London, Kentucky, USA to mail it to. Keep a copy of it, and proof that you mailed it, and take this proof with you on your next visit to the USA, just in case.

2. For my trip to the US in January I would ideally like to go for 6 months to travel/be a tourist. I have the money to do this, I will be leaving a reasonably nice job voluntarily and will be using, as a base, the house of a friend (American) of mine whilst there. I have all of my family in the UK and will not be giving up my place of residence in the UK.

I was going to apply for the B2 as the VWP is for < 90 days. However I have read that I am likely to have that rejected as I am eligable for the VWP. So...

Am I being unrealistic in wanting to travel around the US for 6 months?
Sort of. You have to have a VERY good reason for needing more than 90 days to visit the USA. Not having a job to return to works against you. Having you home still in the UK works for you. Usually, if you are eligible to use the VWP, a B tourist visa isn't given. But you will never know if you don't try.

If I apply for a B2 and then have it rejected because I am eligable for the WVP, would that not then make me ineligible for the VWP?
No, but you will have to always declare that you were refused a visa, and probably explain what happened at the USA POE each time.

Rene
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 12:13 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I94W Form and Long Stay

If your intention is to visit for more than 90 days you're supposed to obtain a visa prior to commencing travel.