Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Citizenship for permanent resident through marriage

Citizenship for permanent resident through marriage

Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

mogmaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship for permanent resident through marriage

Sorry if this is in the wrong place!

I am in th eprocess of filling in form N-400 to gain citizenship. I became a PR through marriage and I have been here three years.

My question regards part 6 and 7 of the form (where I have lived in the past five years and how many times I have left the US in the past five years). If I have only been here for three years, do I still need to cover the past five years? I can't seem to see information about this in the instructions.

I was going to fill in for five years even though I have been a PR for only three; however, Part 7 c asks 'List below all the trips of 24 hours or more you have taken outside of the US since becoming a lawful permanent residence'.

Thank you in advance for answers!
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship for permanent resident through marriage

Originally Posted by mogmaster
Sorry if this is in the wrong place!

I am in th eprocess of filling in form N-400 to gain citizenship. I became a PR through marriage and I have been here three years.
You are married for a full three years and your PR status will be three years within 90 days of your filing the N-400? If so, you are eligible to file for naturalization.

My question regards part 6 and 7 of the form (where I have lived in the past five years and how many times I have left the US in the past five years). If I have only been here for three years, do I still need to cover the past five years? I can't seem to see information about this in the instructions.
Well using the fact that you are using a form that is primarily used by those filing for naturalization after five years of PR status in the US, it would appear that the form is correct for those filers and for yourself the timeline would be only three years because of the special eligibility due to marriage to a US Citizen. Just make the mental transference of five to three and complete the questions.

I was going to fill in for five years even though I have been a PR for only three; however, Part 7 c asks 'List below all the trips of 24 hours or more you have taken outside of the US since becoming a lawful permanent residence'.

Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't really matter how long you've been in the USA. What matters is how long you've been a PR. If you entered the USA on an Immigrant Visa, you became a PR the day you entered the USA. If anything else, you might have been here 3 years, but haven't been a PR for 3 years. Your marriage must also be more than 3 years old in order to be eligible.

Since you're basing your eligibility on marriage to a USC, you can cross out any question that asks for 5 years worth of information, and write in 3 years. Respond with 3 years of information.

Rene
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

mogmaster is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah, thanks.

Yes, I have been here longer than three years and we have been married for longer than three years as well.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, thanks.

Yes, I have been here longer than three years and we have been married for longer than three years as well.
Sounds like you're good to go! If you have any other questions about the N-400 or US Citizenship process, please post them in the US Marriage-Based Visa forum.

Thanks!
Rene
Old Apr 11th 2012, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Alex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really nice

Out of interest, as I'm adding up all the fees I will have to pay further down the line, how much is the fee for applying for citizenship? Also is it only me that can apply as I will be married to a USC not my three children too?? If so what would their status be after 10 years GC holders?
Old Apr 11th 2012, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Alex3110
Out of interest, as I'm adding up all the fees I will have to pay further down the line, how much is the fee for applying for citizenship?
www.uscis.gov. By the time you're eligible, fees may have gone up or down.

Also is it only me that can apply as I will be married to a USC not my three children too??
Read the USCIS Guide to Naturalization, www.uscis.gov, to see how your children can become USCs.

Rene
Old Apr 12th 2012, 3:20 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

What about the Continuous Residence and Physical Presence requirements? Time as a Permanent Resident is not the only requirement for applying for naturalization.

It matters very much how long he's been in the USA, at least how long he's been in the USA since becoming a PR.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It doesn't really matter how long you've been in the USA. What matters is how long you've been a PR.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 3:21 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

+1

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101
www.uscis.gov. By the time you're eligible, fees may have gone up or down.

Read the USCIS Guide to Naturalization, www.uscis.gov, to see how your children can become USCs.

Rene
Old Apr 12th 2012, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
What about the Continuous Residence and Physical Presence requirements? Time as a Permanent Resident is not the only requirement for applying for naturalization.

It matters very much how long he's been in the USA, at least how long he's been in the USA since becoming a PR.

Regards, JEff
Yes, I wasn't thinking of time spent outside the USA...just thinking that his clock started when he became a PR, even if he was present in the USA before then.

Rene