Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Citizenship application- providing evidence of citations for traffic offenses.

Citizenship application- providing evidence of citations for traffic offenses.

Old Jul 26th 2008, 9:04 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship application- providing evidence of citations for traffic offenses.

When filing for removal of conditions we did not have to list traffic citations as they fell outside what USCIS deemed as necessary.
Realizing how much work was involved filing I-751 to remove conditions, we thought we would make an early start on N-400.

Having received 3 speeding tickets over 4 years in 3 different states we will be answering yes to question "Have you ever committed a crime or offense for which you were not arrested?".
Two tickets were settled by paying the fine by mail and attending traffic school, one ticket was settled by paying the fine to the officer issuing the citation (we were out of state, so chose to settle this way).

With age, comes forgetfulness. I am unsure of the exact dates, exact amount paid. How accurate and complete should this sections be; for example would "May 2007" suffice in place of "05/14/2007". I pulled my driving record recently, but it simply showed a clean record (probably because of my driving school classes). I realize my citations are hidden, but not expunged. If anyone can share experiences on collecting and presenting traffic citations, we would be grateful.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Citizenship application- providing evidence of citations for traffic offenses.

I had my citizenship interview about a year and a half ago. On the N400, I Put down the two tickets (OK, 1 speeding ticket and a 'crosswalk violation) and put the dates - or what I believed to be the dates - I couldn't remember the exact dates, and something like "$140 Fine Paid".

I didn't have any of the paperwork for the speeding ticket, and only had the receipt from the fine paid at court for the crosswalk violation. I bought it to the interviews, but the INS officer interviewing me really couldn't care less.

In short, I wouldn't sweat it too much - loads of people get speeding tickets, and just write down what you know. If they want any extra evidence, they'll ask you to bring it to the interview.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Desai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Citizenship application- providing evidence of citations for traffic offenses.

Having received 3 speeding tickets over 4 years in 3 different states we will be answering yes to question "Have you ever committed a crime or offense for which you were not arrested?".

Getting a speeding ticket is not a crime or offense or is it? I did not check on this question even i got just 1 speeding ticket.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 1:49 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desai
Getting a speeding ticket is not a crime or offense or is it?
Of course it is ......
Old Jul 28th 2008, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Desai is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
Of course it is ......
I didnt check it in my N400. I just had my biometrics and waiting for interview date. What should I do?
Old Jul 28th 2008, 4:46 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desai
I didnt check it in my N400. I just had my biometrics and waiting for interview date. What should I do?
declare it at interview ...
Old Jul 29th 2008, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thinbrit
I was in a similar situation... 3 speeding tickets from 3 different states prior to submitting my N-400 application.

The correct answer to Q.15 is "no". Speeding tickets are considered "moving violations" and are *not* considered crimes or offenses that require you to be arrested.

The correct answer to Q.16, however, is "yes"... you *have* been cited by a law enforcement officer. And it is in regard to this question that you indicate the disposition of each ticket.

... for example would "May 2007" suffice in place of "05/14/2007".
Yes.

I pulled my driving record recently...
I sent a copy of my driving record with the application. The speeding tickets were not an issue.

Ian
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 1:16 am

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The correct answer to Q.15 is "no". Speeding tickets are considered "moving violations" and are *not* considered crimes or offenses that require you to be arrested.

The correct answer to Q.16, however, is "yes"... you *have* been cited by a law enforcement officer. And it is in regard to this question that you indicate the disposition of each ticket.
Concise, detailed, and helpful!
Thank you