Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Changing up to next degree level in US

Changing up to next degree level in US

Old May 6th 2007, 11:53 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice
Default Changing up to next degree level in US

Hi everyone....... Long time no see !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone had any good or bad experiences on upping their degree level once they've moved stateside... I've been here a while now and decided to go for the next level up for my degree. My degree is a UK one, and I am looking to get a US one now..... and advice on how easy or hard it is to get universities to accept them as credit ?
Old May 7th 2007, 12:31 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing up to next degree level in US

Originally Posted by TN-Dave

Anyone had any good or bad experiences on upping their degree level once they've moved stateside... I've been here a while now and decided to go for the next level up for my degree. My degree is a UK one, and I am looking to get a US one now..... and advice on how easy or hard it is to get universities to accept them as credit ?
Are you saying you want to get a US bachelors? Why not just do a Masters instead? Getting a US bachelors seems a bit redundant if you have a UK bachelors.

Your UK degree will be assessed in terms of a GPA score. Can't really give any help on this.
Old May 7th 2007, 12:59 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

They'll all accept them as credit, assuming that your degree is appropriate for the course you want to pursue. Some will want transcripts (can be tricky to get) to assess how good they think you are, others won't care. Many will want something like the GRE to be taken too.
Old May 7th 2007, 1:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

a lot would depend on the college, especially on if they want credits translated etc...
Old May 7th 2007, 8:56 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming you're thinking of completing a masters (can't think why you'd do a US bachelors after a UK bachelors), most UK uni's are now more familiar with providing transcripts and there's so much more internationalism (e.g., student exchange programmes) that you should not have too much trouble.

First step would be to check the International Office at each US uni you're interested in, and contact your old UK uni to check that they know what to do if transcripts are requested.

You may still come across some oddities, e.g., having to take undergraduate science if you didn't take science at GCSE level, etc., but that's part of the challenge of being an international. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet if all else fails.

p.s. I took a masters and PhD in the US back when it was a bit more complicated and glad to share one or two horror stories - it's a lot easier these days.

Last edited by dunroving; May 7th 2007 at 8:58 am.
Old May 7th 2007, 12:48 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

I was thinking of getting a BS over here first....... since my US equivalent is only worth an Associates - I have more experience in life than qualifications !
Old May 7th 2007, 12:59 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking of getting a BS over here first....... since my US equivalent is only worth an Associates - I have more experience in life than qualifications !
If you are in Nashville, MTSU isn't too far from you (many people commute there from Nashville) and you might get credit for your first year or two based on your UK quals.
Old May 7th 2007, 1:32 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Dave,

Ask the school you are interested in if their Registrar will evaluate your UK transcript. That will show how many of your existing credits they will accept. there are also credit evaluation firms who offer this service.. my personal experience is theyre pretty hopeless!

Many schools require a minimum number of semester hours from you before they offer a Diploma - even if you have all the credits from somewhere else.
Old May 8th 2007, 12:21 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Most universities have an office of International students, who help them with everything from taxes to immigration to cultural issues. They are (by and large) staffed with understanding people (many who have been in the same boat as you) and can likely give you a good head start on trying to get your previous course work credited (i.e. tell you who to talk to, what to say, what to do).

When you find a college that you are interested in, I would urge you to contact the 'International Students Division' or whatever they call it for more help. A good resource your should utilize.
Old May 8th 2007, 10:00 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
If you are in Nashville, MTSU isn't too far from you (many people commute there from Nashville) and you might get credit for your first year or two based on your UK quals.
and also you could get a scholarship for being a minority (i'm assuming you are white)