Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Changing attorney after I-140 (RIR,EB2), possible ?

Changing attorney after I-140 (RIR,EB2), possible ?

Old Mar 27th 2001, 4:52 am
Patrik

Situation: I am working fo large company that has it's own legal department. I've got
my I-140 (EB2, RIR) approved in CSC more than month ago, but the company's lawyers
now moving fast enough to file Adjustment. My immigration visa number is current and
I'm thinking to get external lawyer and ask him do the rest of the processing to
speed it up. I am not going to leave company in the nearest future and going to do it
just to protect myself in case of layoff. One more thing my I-140 approval notice
does not have A#. Isn't this tricky situation? I need some advise.

What documents I would be needed from my company to be able to continue processing
independently ? What complications from the immigration point of view can I expect ?
And how much it may cost ?

Thanks, Patrik

Old Mar 27th 2001, 7:53 pm
Sylvia Ottemoeller

Patrik wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

It would be best for the company to agree in advance to your hiring your own
attorney. Actually, they should be happy if you do this. It will save them some work.

>
    >

The I-140 approval notice, and a fresh letter verifying the job offer. The new
attorney will want to see a copy of the labor cert, if any, and the I-140 petition.

Otherwise, the new attorney can help you get everything together, the forms, birth
certificates, marriage certificate, copies from passport, copies of immigration
documents, medical exam, photos, etc.

>

None from INS.

>

Maybe $1000 to $1500 plus $200 to 500 per extra dependent family member.