Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Change TN visa back to a visitor Visa

Change TN visa back to a visitor Visa

Old Aug 22nd 2022, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Ironbruu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Change TN visa back to a visitor Visa

Hi Folks, If I'm leaving my current employment in USA and currently on a TN Visa and would like to still remain here but on a visitor visa. what is the process? Can I just leave and flagpole back from canada and simple go in as a visitor? Or is some paperwork required while I'm still in the usa? I'm perfectly okay to leave and come back on a 6 month visitor but what is easiest route?
thanks,
Iron
Old Aug 31st 2022, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Change TN visa back to a visitor Visa

Hi Folks, I've had another look at this. Would it be easier just to leave the USA and come back in again? Or better to head to a social security office with details of my new employer?
thanks,
Iron
Old Aug 31st 2022, 5:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ironbruu
Hi Folks, I've had another look at this. Would it be easier just to leave the USA and come back in again? Or better to head to a social security office with details of my new employer?
thanks,
Iron
Questions:

Why would you go to the US Social Security Administration office and advise them of your employment?

Don't you need new TN-1 visa based on this new employment?

Old Aug 31st 2022, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Well I actually left or will be leaving my current employer. I'm back in Canada. But I would like to still be in the USA visitor for a few months. So I just need to know if the TN visa status exit as simple as leaving the USA and going back and telling the border officer I've quit my job and would like to be on a visitor status?
The other option is that there are other usa roles. That would be straight forward enough with my new petition etc of new employer.
But its the TN-visa to visitor status is my main query. I'm aware I can go back to USA as my current TN visa visa is valid for 1 year. But I dont want to be misleading to the border folks and I'd rather tell them my employer was a toxic dbag so they can switch-a-roo me..

Last edited by Ironbruu; Aug 31st 2022 at 6:20 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2022, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ironbruu
Well I actually left or will be leaving my current employer. I'm back in Canada. But I would like to still be in the USA visitor for a few months. So I just need to know if the TN visa status exit as simple as leaving the USA and going back and telling the border officer I've quit my job and would like to be on a visitor status?
The other option is that there are other usa roles. That would be straight forward enough with my new petition etc of new employer.
But its the TN-visa to visitor status is my main query. I'm aware I can go back to USA as my current TN visa visa is valid for 1 year. But I dont want to be misleading to the border folks and I'd rather tell them my employer was a toxic dbag so they can switch-a-roo me..
Your status is what you get when you enter at the POE. That can be whatever is given to you, regardless of any visa, I-94 card or whatever that already exists in your passport. If you successfully enter the USA as a visitor, your Canadian passport will likely be stamped B-2 for example. You will have to explicitly tell the officer that you're visiting as a tourist and you may also have to ask them to remove your I-94 for your TN.

Old Sep 7th 2022, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Ok thanks for replying. Looks like I have a new employer now in the states. I'm in the process of getting my document from the new employer. Question is when changing employers do I need to show the POE a termination of some sort from previous Employer? Will the POE want to see proof that I not longer work for previous employer?
thanks,
Iron
Old Sep 7th 2022, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

You can hold more than one TN at a time. So you will have to enter on your new TN if you quit your old job, and it may be wise to state that you quit your old job (and thus old TN no longer needed) at the border. Don't really think you need to do anything other than a verbal statement.