Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Visa status changed from “approved” back to “application received”

Visa status changed from “approved” back to “application received”

Old Sep 7th 2022, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Calli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa status changed from “approved” back to “application received”

We submitted our application to the London embassy about a month ago for my husbands L1-A and L2s for me and our children. It took them a while to acknowledge receipt of our documents for the interview waiver but after a couple of weeks the L2s changed to “approved” and the L1 changed to “refused”. This was obviously quite alarming but my husband had an email saying he needed to pay the “reciprocity fee” (which our lawyers had neglected to mention).

Last week he went to the embassy to pay the fee, he was told to expect the visas in 3-5 working days and later that day his status changed to “approved”. We celebrated thinking it was finally the end of a very very long process (RFE etc). But then yesterday I checked his status to see if it had any information about delivery times and his status had changed back to “application received”. Has anyone else had this happen? I’m panicking a bit now, I don’t know how we could go backwards like this. He hasn’t had an email from the embassy asking anything and the online system where you send documents or book appointments isn’t saying anything different.

edit: just to add - none of us have anything unusual in our files, we were born in the UK (and so were our parents), no criminal history, no travel to anywhere outside of Europe/USA, we’ve been married for >10 years and the kids are all little.

Last edited by Calli; Sep 7th 2022 at 7:25 am.
Old Sep 7th 2022, 2:29 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa status changed from “approved” back to “application received”

The reciprocity tables for the UK shows a reciprocity fee of ZERO for the L-1, but $105 for L-2. If memory serves me correct, the reciprocity fee is an issuance assessment and not an application fee.

US diplomatic posts are closed for BOTH US and local holidays. So, the combination of the summer bank holiday and US Labor Day resulted in two successive three-day weekends.

”Pending” is better than “refused.” Refusals are often NOT final. They can be overcome.
Old Sep 7th 2022, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks 😊 I was more worried about the application going from “approved” back to “application received” but it has now changed back to “approved” again so I think it was a panic over nothing! Hopefully anyway…
Old Sep 9th 2022, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

The online case systems are incredibly unreliable. Sorry that led to anxiety!
Old Sep 9th 2022, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tom169
The online case systems are incredibly unreliable. Sorry that led to anxiety!
Thanks!! They are being delivered today!

We’ve had a very bumpy ride - our lawyers have been shockingly bad, so this felt like another thing that could go wrong…