Change of Status from L2 to H-1B

Old Dec 22nd 2009, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Change of Status from L2 to H-1B

Hey Guys,

Just wondered what the process was... Anyone been through this?

I'm assuming that a new I-94 would be sent by USCIS with an expiration date of 3 years time.

L2 visa would still be valid (as would EAD) but with the change of status the EAD could no longer be used and the visa could not be used to due to no longer being in L2 status.

As soon as beneficiary leaves the US, they will have to go for the interview at a US consulate to get the actual visa - otherwise they wont be able to re-enter the US in H-1B status.

Sound about right?

Thanks!
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

emartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Change of Status from L2 to H-1B

Originally Posted by dh010447
I'm assuming that a new I-94 would be sent by USCIS with an expiration date of 3 years time.
Yes, assuming that the petition did request a change of status and a 3-year period.

L2 visa would still be valid (as would EAD) but with the change of status the EAD could no longer be used and the visa could not be used to due to no longer being in L2 status..
The VISA stamp on your passport would be valid but you would no longer hold L-2 STATUS and therefore could not use an L-2 based EAD.

As soon as beneficiary leaves the US, they will have to go for the interview at a US consulate to get the actual visa - otherwise they wont be able to re-enter the US in H-1B status..
True, unless you are visiting Canada or Mexico for less than 30 days. In that case you can return with an L-2 visa, show the H-1B approval with I-94, and be admitted in H-1B status.

This e-mail does not create an attorney-client relationship if we have not both signed an engagement letter. This email discusses general legal questions and other matters. It should not be used or relied on by anyone as legal advice.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Change of Status from L2 to H-1B

Thanks emartin

Originally Posted by emartin
The VISA stamp on your passport would be valid but you would no longer hold L-2 STATUS and therefore could not use an L-2 based EAD.
Just out of interest, once status has been changed to H-1B, is it possible to re-enter the country in L2 status and then change back to H-1B at a later date (by either re-entering the country in H-1B status or filing a change of status)?

Employer would be the same either way.