Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Visa Waiver - is there a time limit to number of visits!?

Visa Waiver - is there a time limit to number of visits!?

Old Dec 20th 2009, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

samrabbit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa Waiver - is there a time limit to number of visits!?

I've been to the USA from Britain three times this year - to visit freinds and network my artwork having the odd business meetings here n' there.

I was pulled aside at philidelphia immigration asking why I was coming out so many times a year and for so many weeks.

In the end I had to prove that I had earnings going into a British account.

I was advised to get a O-1 or a B-1 visa.
I applied for a B-1 visa and went to London's embassey for the USA.
They denied me - saying that because I'm staying with freinds and not in a hotel - it's not a business trip and an ESTA (Which I already have) is something I can travel with anyways - so didn't need the VISA.

I'm now worried I've caused an un-necessary stain on myself as being told I don't need a visa - the record says 'denied'.

Will I get into the USA if I go in Jan on my Visa Waiver ESTA again or not?

What should I do!?!

Please help/advise.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 8:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa Waiver - is there a time limit to number of visits!?

Originally Posted by samrabbit
There is absolutely NO way of knowing in advance if you'll get in or not. It's up to the POE officer.

What should I do!?!
You'll need to update ESTA anyway, now that you have a visa denial. First step would be to do another ESTA, declaring your denied visa, and see what it gives you. If it gives you an OK, then travel on the VWP and hope for the best. With a denied visa, you will most likely be taken to secondary every time you enter the USA from now on (if you get to go on the VWP).

Rule of thumb is to spend more time outside the USA than inside.

Rene
Old Dec 21st 2009, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to the USA from Britain three times this year - to visit freinds and network my artwork having the odd business meetings here n' there.
Be careful what you do in the US when on the VWP as anything that can be construed as 'work' is not allowed. There's a fine (and not always stationary) line between 'business meetings' and 'work'.

If you'd have asked on here before you applied for the B visa you'd have been advised that your chances were very low, and not to bother. But now that you've been denied, yes, the simple fact is that you now face secondary on probably most if not all entries into the US for the rest of your life, due to the denied visa.

The more often you attempt to enter, the harder it will get.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 3:19 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Well that would be daft ... give it 6 months since your last visit
show a good gap
Old Dec 21st 2009, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not expert, but it certainly sounds like its the amount of time that could be the problem rather than number of visits. back in 05/06 I did around 7-8 visits in less than 1 year and never had any problems, but thats because it was always for 3-4 days (in fact on one occasion it was only 2 days!)...if you are spending weeks at a time then it could look bad. I'm sure plenty of people try and 'live' here by going home every few months and trying to get back in. not saying you are doing that, but I imagine thats what it might look like to them.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 5:11 am
Banned

douces is an unknown quantity at this point

how long you stay when you visit each time
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 7:01 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Be careful what you do in the US when on the VWP as anything that can be construed as 'work' is not allowed. There's a fine (and not always stationary) line between 'business meetings' and 'work'.
True dat. I have seen one guy turned away for admitting to selling his art in the US ("conducting a business on US territory").
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 12:05 am
Just Joined

rxfleming is an unknown quantity at this point

My own experiences. I am a UK Citizen.

Have been in the USA on WT Visa Waiver 12 times between now and 2008. In 2009, I've been in and out the country 7 times, with 4 of those trips since August 2009. All via PHL or IAD. Before that, I have made about 5 trips between 2006-2007. So 17 trips in total in the past 3 years.

Most trips have lasted for 7-10 days. I visit my friends who live in NYC/Chicago/Wisconsin/Virginia.

I had never been questioned up until my trip in October 2009, when I was referreed to Secondary Inspection, who searched my bags and asked me questions related to my studies back home. I was let in after a simple few questions. Never had any questions related to my finances.

I have returned since October, just a few weeks ago on the 1st December, and stayed for 10 days. I entered this time through EWR. I was let in without any problems.

I will be returning again in January 2010, for 12 days, to visit my friends and my girlfriend (who i will be flying to the USA with) before I start up my studies again.

Take from my experience what you will - as long as you tell the truth, and have nothing to hide, then you will be fine. Fingers crossed

Last edited by rxfleming; Dec 23rd 2009 at 12:07 am.