Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Chances of being denied at US border?

Wikiposts

Chances of being denied at US border?

Old May 25th 2015, 1:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Chances of being denied at US border?

Funny I have never read anything to support that.
Old May 25th 2015, 1:11 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tintin24
Do you this to be fact? Because everything I've read says its shows them nothing except the info in your passport and if there's ever been any issues in the past when coming into the country, they even need to look at stamps in your passport to see your previous visits.
They can see when they scan your passport your previous visits without looking at stamps. I'm Canadian and used to very frequently travel to the US by land crossing. My Canadian passport doesn't have any American stamps in it, however they do know when I've been across.

When we emigrated from Canada to Australia we flew out of Toronto to San Francisco. You go through US pre-clearance in the Toronto airport, so don't need to do it again when you get to the US. The border guard there scanned my passport and asked me a whole lot of questions..."Where are you going?", "When was the last time you were in the States?", "Where was that trip to", "Why do many trips of 1 day or less?". There were no stamps in that passport to show that I had ever been anywhere. My Australian entry stamp was/is the only stamp in it.
Old May 25th 2015, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

tintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to behold

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlike...ada_sees_when/

Info shown when passport is scanned - Travellerspoint Travel Forums

I just find it strange how with my last visit they didn't seem to know the length of my last stay, maybe they didn't even bother looking at the screen or something?
Old May 25th 2015, 1:38 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I just find it strange how with my last visit they didn't seem to know the length of my last stay, maybe they didn't even bother looking at the screen or something?
Unless the country has exit controls then they wouldn't, would they? My Australian passport is full of exit stamps from countries who have exit controls (UAE, Singapore, Thailand, etc)
Old May 25th 2015, 1:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... I just find it strange how with my last visit they didn't seem to know the length of my last stay, maybe they didn't even bother looking at the screen or something?
"Didn't seem to"? Why do you think they didn't know? ..... Was it because they asked you?
Old May 25th 2015, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

tintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pulaski
"Didn't seem to"? Why do you think they didn't know? ..... Was it because they asked you?

Yes, when I told them my return date being in 90 days, they just asked if I had stayed for the full 90 days in the past, like they had no idea if I had or not?
Old May 25th 2015, 2:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, when I told them my return date being in 90 days, they just asked if I had stayed for the full 90 days in the past, like they had no idea if I had or not?
It's a trick - they often ask some question like that (When were you last here? How long did you stay last time? etc.) to see if you tell the truth.

It is a very old interview/ interogation technique, to ask a question for which the answer is already known, to see if that is the answer you give. ..... They often ask a question like that of my mother, and she is now quite elderly, but even she knows (without help from me) that it is a game that they're playing.
Old May 25th 2015, 2:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

This I-94 you overstayed. .... was it a VWP trip (I-94W)? If not, what visa were you on? How long was the overstay?

Rene
Old May 25th 2015, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's a trick - they often ask some question like that (When were you last here? How long did you stay last time? etc.) to see if you tell the truth.

It is a very old interview/ interogation technique, to ask a question for which the answer is already known, to see if that is the answer you give. ..... They often ask a question like that of my mother, and she is now quite elderly, but even she knows (without help from me) that it is a game that they're playing.
So what would have happened if I gave the wrong answer?
Old May 25th 2015, 10:30 pm

So what would have happened if I gave the wrong answer?
More questions, and if things don't smell right, a trip to secondary.
Old May 26th 2015, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Unless the country has exit controls then they wouldn't, would they? My Australian passport is full of exit stamps from countries who have exit controls (UAE, Singapore, Thailand, etc)
Right, there are no US exit controls but passenger manifests are reported (via APIS) to CBP so they know who left the country.

APIS: Advance Passenger Information System | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Land exits via Mexico or Canada might not be properly recorded. That's why it's important to hand in the I-94 when you're done with it and to keep proof that you actually left the US.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...l-have-my-i-94

Last edited by MarylandNed; May 26th 2015 at 12:56 am.
Old May 26th 2015, 3:03 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Right, there are no US exit controls but passenger manifests are reported (via APIS) to CBP so they know who left the country.

APIS: Advance Passenger Information System | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Land exits via Mexico or Canada might not be properly recorded. That's why it's important to hand in the I-94 when you're done with it and to keep proof that you actually left the US.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...l-have-my-i-94
sometimes the records are not as good as they could be. Even if mistakes happen 0.5% of the time, that still is a lot of people given the volume of traffic.
Old May 26th 2015, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard somewhere that they don't have any records in front of them on you when they scan your passport, only if you've had any previous problems while crossing the border, I think they need to go to someone higher up to find out anything else, but who knows unless you work for border control, right?
Well, I used to travel a lot to the US using a B1 for business. I was building a house in Charlotte initially in 2006. Each time I came in, for about 10 days of every month, I was asked how the house was going. It was there in front of him I can assure you. Yes I've been to secondary more times than I can remember. I did have immigrant intent just not on those visits. When I finally immigrated 4 years after the house had been finished, the fella said - enjoy that house you haven't been able to live in for 4 years!
Old May 26th 2015, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

As one of the comments in those links says, it depends on what database it links to. Always assume they know about what you are trying to hide from them. Any question they ask is unlikely to be random and they certainly aren't asking questions to which they do not already have the answers. If you lie to them when they ask you a question, you are only making more trouble for yourself and possible end up being denied entry.

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You are confusing "man in uniform with a rubber stamp" with "exit control". Yes they know when you left.

To reiterate - always assume they know
Old May 26th 2015, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Last question, carry engagement ring, good or bad idea?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.