Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Chances of being denied at US border?

Chances of being denied at US border?

Old May 24th 2015, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

tintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to behold
Default Chances of being denied at US border?

After reading many horror stories about people who have been denied I am more worried than every about returning to see my US girlfriend next month.

My trips to the US are as follows -
Mid July - start of September 2014
Mid January - Mid April 2015

I plan on going back on the 18th of June until 3rd September, as it pretty much snowed the whole time I was over there in the winter and now I want to go over for the summer so we can spend time doing more fun things together.
On pervious trips I've never been asked more than why I'm visiting and for how long. No issues what so ever, even when I stayed the full 90 days last time.
I'm very worried this time as I book my flight before really knowing anything about the issues other people have ran into, like showing ties to the UK, I've never even been asked to show return flight let alone any ties?
I work a temp job while in the UK and live with parents, so no hope with either of them for ties, the only ties that I can see is that I have a daughter in the UK and obviously want to come back to see her.

Also I'm a very keen mountain biker and will be bring my bike over with me, as we plan on spending most our time cycling, some trails will be in the 100's of miles and will take many days to complete, will this be a good thing to show that this is very much a touristy visit and that I have no intensions of working while there?

Is there anything else anyone can suggest I do, as my ticket is already booked and non-refundable so I might as well try. Believe me if I knew before what I know now I would never have tried to come back so soon.

Sometimes I wish I never looked into it and was oblivious to any problems I might run into, I worry about it all the time now and its pretty much consuming me right now, I really want to be back with my girlfriend, and don't want to face the horror of getting all the way there and then being send home, and facing problems of getting back in the future

Thanks for any help
Old May 24th 2015, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

tintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Chances of being denied at US border?

I just wanted to add that when I return to the UK in September I will be starting part time college courses, although these are just a small Maths and English course are they something else worth mention as a reason to be returning home?
Old May 24th 2015, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

You should be fine.

Just remember to answer all questions honestly and ONLY what's been asked. Do not volunteer anything more. Remember also that the more you say, the more they can object to. Use words like 'friend' instead of 'girlfriend', etc. Not lying.

No-one can say for sure what will happen as anyone can be refused at any time, but I would say relax. Oh, and make sure you have the address where you'll be staying and that return ticket handy.

You may be taken to secondary for further questioning, but I think you've got a good chance of getting through without issue.
Old May 24th 2015, 3:07 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

OP looks like he is having a "gap year."

Every case is different. I would not begin to predict the odds.
Old May 24th 2015, 4:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

4.67%
Old May 24th 2015, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tintin24
After reading many horror stories about people who have been denied I am more worried than every about returning to see my US girlfriend next month.
If all you're looking for are horror stories... then that's all you'll find. Apparently, you have chosen to ignore the 99+% of people who have no problems whatsoever.

I suggest you put things in perspective.

Ian
Old May 25th 2015, 1:12 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Read: https://help.cbp.gov/ci/fattach/get/...s+and+Ties.pdf
Old May 25th 2015, 12:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You've established a pattern of visting the US, but you have established a pattern of leaving again. I don't think you have much to worry about.

I agree with the advice given above - answer any questions honestly but briefly, stick to " friend", and be prepared for provocative questions designed to spook you and get you to change your story, such as "are you going to get married?" (which I was asked on my first visit, and asked more than once, several questions apart, I guess to see if the immigration officer had rattled me enough for me to change my story).

Personally I would avoid mentioning having brought your bike (might look a little "permanent"), though it might make sense if asked a "what will you be doing while you're here?" question, to mention that you're going to bike some trails.

Which airport will you be arriving at?
Originally Posted by Boiler
4.67%
On the contrary, IIRC USCIS statistics show only one person in several thousand from a visa waiver country are denied entry.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 25th 2015 at 12:52 pm.
Old May 25th 2015, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tintin24

My trips to the US are as follows -
Mid July - start of September 2014
Mid January - Mid April 2015

Also I'm a very keen mountain biker and will be bring my bike over with me, as we plan on spending most our time cycling, some trails will be in the 100's of miles and will take many days to complete,

Thanks for any help
Well thats a first for me, never heard of anyone bring there mountain bike over to U.S. on a short visit, I hope you dont mind me asking but how much extra will it cost you to take your bike over on the plane? and of course bring it back again? and how will it fit on the plane? it will be too big to fit in a suitcase
Old May 25th 2015, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Well thats a first for me, never heard of anyone bring there mountain bike over to U.S. on a short visit, I hope you dont mind me asking but how much extra will it cost you to take your bike over on the plane? and of course bring it back again? and how will it fit on the plane? it will be too big to fit in a suitcase
I've got a bike suitcase. Not travelled to the U.S. with my bike yet, but members of my cycle club have and I've taken mine to Italy and Ireland by plane. Easyjet class it as 'sports equipment' and Ryanair (who I used) charge €60 each way.
Old May 25th 2015, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

I have flown with my bikes, similar to golf bags.
Old May 25th 2015, 5:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I have flown with my bikes, similar to golf bags.
It takes balls?
Old May 25th 2015, 5:49 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I'd make absolutely sure the last 90 day trip wasn't a 91+ day trip.
Old May 25th 2015, 5:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It takes balls?
Depends on the route.
Old May 25th 2015, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jasper123

It's absolutely free on Virgin Atlantic, as long as it weights under 23kg, and can be any size.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.