Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Chances of being 'bounced' at the POE - Question about the VWP

Chances of being 'bounced' at the POE - Question about the VWP

Old Feb 14th 2013, 9:02 am
Just Joined

James_1989_TA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chances of being 'bounced' at the POE - Question about the VWP

Hello BE!

I was just wondering if you could give me any advice on whether there is a strong likelihood that I may get refused entry to the US on the VWP.

Pertinent information: Since June 15th 2012, I have spent approximately 81 days in the US (entered the country for 2 weeks in June; and for 66 days in October). I am now looking to go back to the U.S. on the 1st March for a two-week holiday. The primary reason for this visit is to see my girlfriend.

Background information: I have just recently completed my MSc (in October), however, I am not currently employed at the moment. Furthermore, like most of the recent batch of graduates in this current economic climate I live at home with my parents. Thus, I do not own/rent a property. Ironically, it is these last two points that have enabled me to visit my girlfriend in the U.S. as frequently as I do (I define this period in my life as a pseudo gap period/year).

My main worry at this present time is that I may possibly get 'bounced' at the POE when I next seek admission into the U.S. I have spent a considerable amount of time browsing this brilliant forum for the last couple of weeks, and taken on board the informal rule of at least "spending as much time out as in when seeking to re-enter the U.S. under the VWP" (When I try re-enter in March the ratio would stand at 66 days in, 75 days out). However, one facet of my situation that has not been discussed as frequently is 'ones ties to their home country' - seeing as I am unashamedly unemployed and live with my parents, will this therefore increase the chances of me being refused entry?

Any information/advice/shared experience on the subject will be most gratefully appreciated!

Thanks

J

Last edited by James_1989_TA; Feb 14th 2013 at 9:36 am.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 10:14 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chances of being 'bounced' at the POE - Question about the VWP

Originally Posted by James_1989_TA
My main worry at this present time is that I may possibly get 'bounced' at the POE when I next seek admission into the U.S.
I don't see a pattern of travel that would raise any red flags. If asked about work, tell them what you told us - that you just graduated from university. Relax... enjoy the trip.

Ian
Old Feb 14th 2013, 11:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks Ian for such a quick response! In all seriousness, and for all its worth, it has really made me relax about my upcoming trip to the U.S.

Last edited by James_1989_TA; Feb 14th 2013 at 12:27 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 11:50 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Ian that you have said nothing that would immediatly get you bounced, but of course the mention of a significant tie to the US such as a girlfriend is bound to move it back in the other direction somewhat.

IMO you'll be fine, just be honest and up front.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

I also think you'll probably be ok. But just in case you are being questioned, do you have any "ties to the UK" that you could show? Have you applied for any jobs recently, maybe you could bring copies of applications sent.

(About 10 yrs ago when I went to LA on holiday by myself I got pulled for questioning and I happened to have my work ID and a couple of paystubs in my handbag, which seemed to impress them. I know you don't have that but if you could bring something it might be helpful, just in case.)

Good luck!
Old Feb 14th 2013, 2:31 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Not really, no.
I was just wondering if you could give me any advice on whether there is a strong likelihood that I may get refused entry to the US on the VWP.
The responses you're going to get here will be a re-hash of what you've already read.
I have spent a considerable amount of time browsing this brilliant forum for the last couple of weeks,
There's another equally important facet that almost never gets discussed - what is the purpose of your visit, how long do you plan to stay in the USA to accomplish that purpose, and do you have any reason(s) to remain in the USA once you've accomplished your purpose.

Regards, JEff

However, one facet of my situation that has not been discussed as frequently is 'ones ties to their home country'
Old Feb 14th 2013, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware the phrase "gap year" has no real equivalent meaning in the US.

You wouldn't want to give the impression you were intending on staying for a year.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your responses! I have taken note of what you have all said, and I will promise to update you on my progress regarding my experience at the POE in early March.

Kind Regards

J
Old Feb 15th 2013, 2:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You should be fine, especially if you are entering through a major airport (immigration officers at smaller airports can be a little more aggressive, in my experience). Just remember that your record of visiting the US is matched by a history of leaving again, and your visits are not anywhere close to the maximum 90 day stay.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your comment Pulaski! And yes, the good news is that I am indeed entering through one of the major airports (LAX to be specific).
Old Mar 5th 2013, 1:10 am
Just Joined

Just a quick update - I arrived with absolutely no problems at LAX on the 1st March. Thanks everyone again for all your comments!
Old Mar 5th 2013, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Yay! Happy ending! Well done. Have fun!
Old Mar 5th 2013, 2:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, enjoy your visit!