N-400 and speeding tickets

Old Mar 4th 2013, 12:06 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold
Default N-400 and speeding tickets

After many searches, I'm still confused so please forgive me resurrecting a done to death topic. I am hoping to file my N-400 soon and have two speeding tickets on my record. Do I have to list these as being arrested, cited or detained?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:09 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N-400 and speeding tickets

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
After many searches, I'm still confused so please forgive me resurrecting a done to death topic. I am hoping to file my N-400 soon and have two speeding tickets on my record. Do I have to list these as being arrested, cited or detained?

Thanks in advance.
You should list them as citation.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:14 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dreamercon
You should list them as citation.
Thank you.

And if my understanding is correct, I list them as a "Moving Violation" listing the outcome as "Fine Paid".

I should also select "No" to Q.18 "Have you ever been convicted of crime or offense"?
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.

And if my understanding is correct, I list them as a "Moving Violation" listing the outcome as "Fine Paid".

I should also select "No" to Q.18 "Have you ever been convicted of crime or offense"?
Personally I would answer YES and then explain it at the interview. That's what I did.

Also, read page 25 of this document:
http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf

Last edited by MarylandNed; Mar 4th 2013 at 1:59 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:58 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I list them as a "Moving Violation"...
No, you list them as speeding citation.

... listing the outcome as "Fine Paid".
Yes. If you have the exact amount, state it.

Yes, as long as you're referring only to the traffic tickets. We have no idea whether or not you have actually ever been convicted of a crime.

I had 3 speeding tickets when I submitted my N-400. I put down the information as I've supplied here... it was not an issue.

Ian
Old Mar 4th 2013, 2:00 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Personally I would answer YES and then explain it at the interview. That's what I did.
I'm glad it worked out for you, but it wasn't necessary if your only citations were for speeding.

Ian
Old Mar 4th 2013, 2:28 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No, you list them as speeding citation.

Yes. If you have the exact amount, state it.
Thank you

Yes, as long as you're referring only to the traffic tickets. We have no idea whether or not you have actually ever been convicted of a crime.
Noted and understood, thank you.

I had 3 speeding tickets when I submitted my N-400. I put down the information as I've supplied here... it was not an issue.
Again, thanks. This helps to clarify things for me.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad it worked out for you, but it wasn't necessary if your only citations were for speeding.

Ian
You're probably right. I was just playing it safe because I wasn't sure. It was a non-issue in the interview anyway. I got the impression from the interviewing officer that she had seen it answered both ways (Yes & No) for traffic offenses.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Mar 4th 2013 at 3:06 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
You're probably right. I was just playing it safe because I wasn't sure. It was a non-issue in the interview anyway. I got the impression from the interviewing officer that she had seen it answered both ways (Yes & No) for traffic offenses.
I think it best to state it since it is a citation. As long as it is under $500 and not related to alcohol or drugs then you won't need to furnish documentation.
I posted my n-400 today and thought it best to be up front about it. It is covered in the n-400 application guideline pdf on the USCIS website.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

For those with citations...didn't you do traffic school to erase them? Or do you still have to declare them anyway?
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Welshgator
I think it best to state it since it is a citation. As long as it is under $500 and not related to alcohol or drugs then you won't need to furnish documentation.
I posted my n-400 today and thought it best to be up front about it. It is covered in the n-400 application guideline pdf on the USCIS website.
Yeah that was my thinking too....be completely honest and err on the side of caution if in doubt about anything because dealing with USCIS is already a major PITA without giving them another reason to make your life an even bigger misery.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 5:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hotscot
For those with citations...didn't you do traffic school to erase them?
I suppose some people did do that... but that's not the same as never having had them at all. The question doesn't ask about citations that have been erased from your record!

Or do you still have to declare them anyway?
You must still declare them.

Ian
Old Mar 4th 2013, 5:55 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Originally Posted by Welshgator
So did you answer "Yes" to questions 17 and 18?
Old Mar 4th 2013, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute

So did you answer "Yes" to questions 17 and 18?
I answered "No" to everything except the one that asks if you had a citation, which is Q16 I believe. I provide no documentation with the application,since it was less than $500 fine and not drug or alcohol related. I did state the amount of fine paid in the info box.
I did do the driving school to remove the points but since it is still a citation it should still be reported on the n-400 in my mind.
I'll probably take my paperwork showing the ticket and the receipt for payment of the fine at the courthouse to the interview just in case. Hope that helps.

I was not arrested, charged with a crime or subsequently convicted, so you answer no to Q.17 and Q.18. I've never been arrested but I'm sure they'd have to read you your Miranda rights, probably ty-wrap your wrists and throw you in the back of a black and white, then be videoed in the back seat for later upload to Youtube...so, you'd likely know if you were arrested...

Last edited by Welshgator; Mar 4th 2013 at 8:47 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

BTW, Schnorbitz - when did Man United become red dragons? I grew up a fan and they were always the red devils - I suppose that is not politically or morally correct to use any more?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.