Cautioned for Cannabis Visa Quert

Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

spanishfly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cautioned for Cannabis Visa Quert

Originally Posted by bjohn
Probably the one where you said "Undoubtedly! And certainly don't forget to tell them your legal theory on why a caution isn't a conviction, too!" - I have to agree with fatbrit on that.

Well done Spanishfly and I guess a weight off your chest. Another surprise for those with drug convictions or whatever you want to call it.
a huge weight off my chest, although let me just say that i decided to do all of this totally 100% honestly and i think that that goes a long way when you get to the interview situation.

Also just incase anyone wants to know, the Belfast Consulate seems like a pusy cat in comparison to everything i have read about the london Embassy, i would urge anyone that is in need of an interview for their visa that lives in the UK to go to Belfast, Easyjet flight there took me about 30 minutes and then there is a bus that runs basically right to the door of the consulate every ten minutes from the airport.

A lot less hassle than travelling from the NW to London, and they aproved every single person that was there when i was there.

bed now.

Peace out!

NEW YORK CITY HERE I COME!
Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fatbrit
He's a little fact free...

Did aunty go, too?
Did he get the prized 10-year B2 or a consolation prize instead?
Aunty did go, she was not allowed in, and yes i got a ten year visa.

You should stop being so bloody defeatist you know, just cos your fat doesnt make you useless ya know!

Muh!
Old Jan 21st 2009, 11:15 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, congratulations spanishfly, on surviving the whole experience, including baring it all here.
Nothing official, just by way of heads-up, know that the CBP, which is the agency that runs the border, gets the final say on your admission. I don't know what is noted on your visa, if anything, but you should have it in the back of your mind that you could be questioned about all this at the border.
Just want you to be aware in case it's a sensitive thing with the person you're traveling with etc. And, it will be at the end of a longish flight.

Happy travels!
Old Jan 21st 2009, 11:17 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spanishfly
and yes i got a ten year visa.
Congrats! Seriously!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:35 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg14624
There's a difference between omission and falsification. Although immaterial in the end, a false statement can call the accuracy and truthfulness of the entire application into question. Also, the US government decides what is material and what isn't.
Pedantic perhaps, but the courts make such final determinations, not the government.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
Hey, congratulations spanishfly, on surviving the whole experience, including baring it all here.
Nothing official, just by way of heads-up, know that the CBP, which is the agency that runs the border, gets the final say on your admission. I don't know what is noted on your visa, if anything, but you should have it in the back of your mind that you could be questioned about all this at the border.
Just want you to be aware in case it's a sensitive thing with the person you're traveling with etc. And, it will be at the end of a longish flight.

Happy travels!
Hi meauxna (how do you pronounce that?)

Thanks for the guidance and info relating to my Visa, it is not a sensitive subject really my GF knows all about my history and what went before so theres nothing to keep hidden there.

So is it possible that they would print details of my arrest on the VISA for example?
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 10:43 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Pedantic perhaps, but the courts make such final determinations, not the government.
It is indeed pedantic. Since when were the courts not part of the US government? The federal courts try to defer to the legislature as much as possible when it comes to immigration law.

Also, the issuance of a visa is at the discretion of the Department of State with concurrence in some cases by the DHS. I cannot recall a case where the courts have ordered the DOS to issue a visa even though I'm following a case closely. The courts do help shape the immigration law landscape.

As it stands right now, the DOS has the final say when it comes to visa issuance.

Also, the legislature can bypass the courts in removal proceedings in the form of a private bill.

Last edited by crg; Jan 22nd 2009 at 10:57 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:41 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

So is it possible that they would print details of my arrest on the VISA for example?
Not details of your arrest, no, but *maybe* a series of numbers/letters in this (or similar) format: 212(a)(6)(C)
Or maybe google/images for a B visa and see if you notice any different text on yours than from examples others have posted?
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:42 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Not details of your arrest, no, but *maybe* a series of numbers/letters in this (or similar) format: 212(a)(6)(C)
Or maybe google/images for a B visa and see if you notice any different text on yours than from examples others have posted?
Do the guys at the POE not use the same computer system as the staff issuing the visa. I thought when they swiped the passport they could access details from the file if they wished. I assumed they have a similar system to the one the UK uses.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury
Do the guys at the POE not use the same computer system as the staff issuing the visa. I thought when they swiped the passport they could access details from the file if they wished. I assumed they have a similar system to the one the UK uses.
I don't know & they're not telling. But I don't think CBP can get to the whole A file for the details. I was randomly thinking if the CO had decided it was a petty offense exception that there might be a code indicating that on the visa.
Mainly don't want sf getting caught short if he thinks the case is closed. Stuff does come up at the border every now and then.
I was just reminded of a case you might remember from over there where the young man did need a waiver, did not make a point of bringing it all out in the interview, was issued the K visa and got bounced at the airport when CBP disagreed with the Consulate's decision. They sent him back for a waiver.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:08 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I was just reminded of a case you might remember from over there where the young man did need a waiver, did not make a point of bringing it all out in the interview, was issued the K visa and got bounced at the airport when CBP disagreed with the Consulate's decision. They sent him back for a waiver.
Indeed the visa is not a 100% guarantee. I'd be very surprised if they didn't have access to the visa paperwork if not on the computer at passport control in another office (secondary comes to mind).

Also I know immigration officers have sneaky was of marking visas and passports, one is marking their entry stamp in your passport with a cross, means refused entry and is there until the passport expires or those in the know report it "lost" and get a new one.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

Thankyou for your concern people and believe me it will be in the back of my mind when i reach JFK but to be honest I am going to try and put it out of my head as best as i can and just look forward to my week in NY.

Thanks though and i have appreciated all the advice and info you have given me.

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 5:49 pm

Thankyou for your concern people and believe me it will be in the back of my mind when i reach JFK but to be honest I am going to try and put it out of my head as best as i can and just look forward to my week in NY.

Thanks though and i have appreciated all the advice and info you have given me.

Do you know despite the comments we have made here I would guess the number of people with a visa who get refused at the POE is very small. Have a good trip.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks lansbury, my VISA arrived yesterday. Happy Days!