Cautioned for Cannabis Visa Quert

Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

spanishfly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cautioned for Cannabis Visa Quert

Hi,

I am a recent member (joined today) and have tried to read as many relevant posts as i could before deciding to post this message. But as new legislation and application procedures have been applied to the Visa system in America only today i thought that it was relevant to post this message to try and get the best possible advice from you.

I was arrested 11 years ago for possesion of a very small amount of cannabis, infact it was one simple joint, I was 17 at the time and i seem to remember being issued with a caution, however on the homeoffice website and on this site it states that it is not classed as a caution if you are between 10 and 17 years old.

The problem i have is on the new form the DS 156 that must be completed now for a Visa application, there is a question asking "Have you ever been arrested or convicted of a crime," it even singles out "controlled substances" as one of the examples.

I guess I have to tick YES to this as it is true. My problem is that i am being told and have read in various articles that i can have this caution stepped down from my record. If i do that, is it removed and will any immigration people beable to access that information. And secondly should i still tick YES on this application?

Thanks in advance, and as i am sure this question has been asked a hundred times each case is different and I felt you would need to know as much information as possiblle to beable to help me in this matter.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:15 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cautioned for Cannabis Visa Quert

All must be revealed to US immigration ..even spent conviction
there is no let out
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
All must be revealed to US immigration ..even spent conviction
there is no let out
Thankyou for your swift response, do you have personal experience of this kind of thing?

Do you think that it will cause a problem with me obtaining a Visa?

Thanks
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:23 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spanishfly
Thankyou for your swift response, do you have personal experience of this kind of thing?

Thanks
No ..I stick to cigs ...

It wont be a help thats guaranteed ... what visa
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:31 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Drug offenses are always bad news. I'd try a confessional if I were you with a US immigration attorney rather than a public message board.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
No ..I stick to cigs ...

It wont be a help thats guaranteed ... what visa
The Visa is just for a week holiday in April.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Drug offenses are always bad news. I'd try a confessional if I were you with a US immigration attorney rather than a public message board.
Thankyou i will do some reseach with regards to this.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:42 pm
Ray

The Visa is just for a week holiday in April.
A B-2 then ... I have some doubt as to your success ...
but been proved wrong many times
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
A B-2 then ... I have some doubt as to your success ...
but been proved wrong many times

I just cannot believe that something as a stupid mistake all that time ago would be considered some sort of threat the American Nation.

Its quite simply, stupid.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:47 pm
Ray

I just cannot believe that something as a stupid mistake all that time ago would be considered some sort of threat the American Nation.

I agree ... That why I never got into the Ganja
Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

In its wisdom, the US Congress has given a hierarchy of offenses. This is not something like stealing from a store, beating somebody up or stupid things like that.

Instead, your offense involved DRUGS. And those are treated very harshly indeed. Fortunately, there is a waiver available based upon the facts you post. In addition to the general non-immigrant waiver, there will also another waiver if you should chose to later immigrate.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

In its wisdom, the US Congress has given a hierarchy of offenses. This is not something like stealing from a store, beating somebody up or stupid things like that.

Instead, your offense involved DRUGS. And those are treated very harshly indeed. Fortunately, there is a waiver available based upon the facts you post. In addition to the general non-immigrant waiver, there will also another waiver if you should chose to later immigrate.
Hi Folinskyinla,

Can you give me any more information about the waiver you have mentioned that you state would be available to me. Is this the standard Visa Waiver that everyone has to apply for under the new rules as of today.

And thankyou for your response.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Folinskyinla,

Can you give me any more information about the waiver you have mentioned that you state would be available to me. Is this the standard Visa Waiver that everyone has to apply for under the new rules as of today.

And thankyou for your response.
Hi:

I am not aware of any new rules regarding visas that went into effect today.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:53 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I am not aware of any new rules regarding visas that went into effect today.
He is thinking of ESTA ...and the wrong Visa waiver
Old Jan 12th 2009, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

this might help

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.