Caution for arson....

Old May 16th 2009, 3:01 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Caution for arson....

Originally Posted by crg14624
The response to the question "I have a caution for having a joint in 1978, do I need a waiver" has been "YES" on this forum when a more appropriate response would be "Possibly.
Agreed... that seems a reasonable approach.

Ian
Old May 16th 2009, 6:32 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If someone accepts a caution, haven't they already admitted their guilt? I mean, if the person already believes they are guilty sufficient to accept the caution, why should the consular officer dispute that finding? Isn't that a bit like reinventing the wheel?

Ian
Not only have they admitted their guilt, they should have made a tape recorded statement under caution giving details of what they did, how they did it and why they did it. Answering any questions asked by the interviewing officer necessary to clarify any ambiguities and to make sure that there is sufficient evidence to prove the case as required by the law.

Before tape recording is was a written statement on the proscribe form which carries a warning that what is written on the statement carries the same weight as verbal evidence given in court and carries the possibility of being perjury if it is untrue and presented to a court.
Old May 16th 2009, 8:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Not only have they admitted their guilt, they should have made a tape recorded statement under caution giving details of what they did, how they did it and why they did it. Answering any questions asked by the interviewing officer necessary to clarify any ambiguities and to make sure that there is sufficient evidence to prove the case as required by the law.

Before tape recording is was a written statement on the proscribe form which carries a warning that what is written on the statement carries the same weight as verbal evidence given in court and carries the possibility of being perjury if it is untrue and presented to a court.
Perhaps they should have done ... but did they?

Could the police force provide evidence that this actually was done?
Old May 16th 2009, 8:05 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I agree, but the SP part of me wants to say... well, so what? That's their problem for not knowing or asking what options they have.

Ian

So what? I would have thought that police obtaining a de-facto criminal conviction by deception is a serious matter, only one step away from extracting confessions under duress. Clearly you seem to take a more relaxed view, which is of course your privilege.
Old May 16th 2009, 8:47 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Perhaps they should have done ... but did they?

Could the police force provide evidence that this actually was done?
I was merely saying what is supposed to happen so those giving opinions might do so with a little more knowledge than before.

Who knows if the did, probably the OP. Could they provide evidence now from that far back, not knowing with force it was or their policy for storing tapes who knows. But again knowing that a statement under caution will exist in at least 99% of cases where cautions where given might help those who have no practical knowledge of the UK system only what they read, give a more informed opinion if not to this poster but to those who will raise similar questions in the future.
Old May 16th 2009, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
So what? I would have thought that police obtaining a de-facto criminal conviction by deception is a serious matter, only one step away from extracting confessions under duress. Clearly you seem to take a more relaxed view, which is of course your privilege.
Everyone who goes into an English/Welsh police station since PACE came into being are told of their three rights.

1) To consult the Codes of Practice at that time or later

2) To have someone informed of their arrest unless an officer of Superintending rank or above gives written consent for that to be withheld.

3) To consult with a solicitor. If they don't have a solicitor they are given a list of solicitors who will attend and give free advice.

They sign to say they have been given those rights both verbally and in written form.

If someone chooses not to avail themselves of especially number 3 that is their own fault for whatever the outcome.
Old May 16th 2009, 8:56 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by lansbury
Everyone who goes into an English/Welsh police station since PACE came into being are told of their three rights.

1) To consult the Codes of Practice at that time or later

2) To have someone informed of their arrest unless an officer of Superintending rank or above gives written consent for that to be withheld.

3) To consult with a solicitor. If they don't have a solicitor they are given a list of solicitors who will attend and give free advice.

They sign to say they have been given those rights both verbally and in written form.

If someone chooses not to avail themselves of especially number 3 that is their own fault for whatever the outcome.
Everyone?

What about those who are told "just sign this and we'll let you go ... "
Old May 16th 2009, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

robb2002 is an unknown quantity at this point

I defininately don't see it as a way 'of getting off with it', I am truly sorry for what I have done and now fully understand the true inplications of such silly actions.

However I know it will be up to the consolular officer to decide, I am going to see what is on my CRB when it comes back and see what is exactly on there. I was definately given the right caution, however I'm worried if it is different on there, I don't want it to be unless it is official as I did wrong and deserved to be punished.

What a silly mess I've got myself into here, I'll just have to see what happens. I think a good immigration lawyer is my best bet?
Old May 17th 2009, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
Everyone?

Sign what, sign that they have received their rights, no skin off the custody officers nose to give those rights.
Old May 17th 2009, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
Everyone?

It would be on the 24 hour CCTV and sound recording in the custody suit and would negate any evidence gathered afterwards.
Old May 18th 2009, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

bjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant future

Does the caution really matter? The question asks about arrests..... and there's certainly no legal or physical (G20 reference there) protection there.
Old May 18th 2009, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

snowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bjohn
Does the caution really matter? The question asks about arrests..... and there's certainly no legal or physical (G20 reference there) protection there.
He was arrested then cautioned.
Old May 18th 2009, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

bjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by snowguy
He was arrested then cautioned.
Exactly - so as the question says - "have you ever been arrested and/or convicted for a CIMT". Therefore a caution or conviction is irrelevant. Its the arrest that counts.
Old May 18th 2009, 11:28 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by bjohn
Exactly - so as the question says - "have you ever been arrested and/or convicted for a CIMT". Therefore a caution or conviction is irrelevant. Its the arrest that counts.
An arrest, in itself, does not render a person inadmissible.
Old May 18th 2009, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
An arrest, in itself, does not render a person inadmissible.
Agree. But all advice suggests a visit to Grosvenor Sq for a B2 visa application is required if an arrest has occured. That's something like 30% of British males under 35.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.