Caution for arson....

Old May 11th 2009, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

robb2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Caution for arson....

....dear users, this is my first post here. I have been silly and gone and gotten myself a caution for ARSON not endangering life. It was my ambition to go and work in America next summer to work with children, could this be a serious impediment on my visa application.
I believe that the penalties are matched up against CIMT's in USA which I do not full understand. Basically I got really drunk with a friend and shoved a cigarette down the postbox, this then smouldered and I got cautioned for arson....although my lawyer says that the penalty was rather harsh I still have it there and cannot appeal it.

Does anybody know what the equivelant sentence/fine would be in America. I think I may have scuppered all chances of me ever returning to the USA and I am rather worried about this....any help would be appreciated.
Also does this apply to me?:
"22:1313 Kindling Bonfires.
It shall not be lawful for any person or persons within the limits of the District of Columbia to
kindle or set on fire, or be present, aiding, consenting, or causing it to be done, in any street,
avenue, road, or highway, alley, open ground, or lot, any box, barrel, straw, shavings, or other
combustible, between the setting and rising of the sun; and, any person offending against the
provisions of this section shall on conviction thereof, forfeit and pay a sum not exceeding ten
dollars for each and every offense."
Thanks
Old May 11th 2009, 2:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Caution for arson....

Your crime was not and would not be considered kindling a bonfire.

Yes, it might have an adverse effect but a consultation with an immigration attorney, either in person or via telephone, would be in order.
Old May 11th 2009, 2:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I found this:

http://www.iii.org/media/hottopics/insurance/test1/
Old May 11th 2009, 2:46 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robb2002
... could this be a serious impediment on my visa application.
Could it be? Most definitely, yes. Will it be? Hard to say.

I believe that the penalties are matched up against CIMT's in USA which I do not full understand.
If it's any comfort, even immigration attorneys do not fully understand CIMTs! At any rate, what's important is not the penalty you received, but the maximum penalty you *could* have received. That's one method used to focus whether or not a specific incident is a CIMT.

Basically I got really drunk with a friend and shoved a cigarette down the postbox, this then smouldered and I got cautioned for arson...
Well, I've got to admit this is the first time something like this has been presented to us.

Does anybody know what the equivelant sentence/fine would be in America.
As Rete suggests, I don't think "kindling bonfires" is applicable... but you also didn't deliberately torch a building. You're fortunate that you weren't charged with interfering with the Royal Mail which would have carried a much stiffer charge and which, in the US, would be considered a federal felony.

I think I may have scuppered all chances of me ever returning to the USA...
Despite the foregoing, I'm not sure it's all that hopeless. You do need to speak to an experienced US immigration attorney who will be able to help you plan out a course of action. Good luck to you.

Ian
Old May 11th 2009, 3:17 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

The maximum sentence for arson is life imprisonment. in the UK ...
Old May 11th 2009, 4:01 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

How old were you at the time of the offense. There is anecdotal evidence that the US consulates are not considering UK cautions as a conviction or admission of guilt in many cases.

Arson is a CIMT.
Old May 11th 2009, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

snowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to all

shoved a cigarette down the postbox, this then smouldered and I got cautioned for arson
According to

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...s_mailbox.html

"Tampering or vandalizing a mailbox is a federal offense, which can be punished with up to twenty-five years in prison"

Last edited by snowguy; May 11th 2009 at 5:29 pm.
Old May 11th 2009, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

The caution was for arson not endangering life....I pressume that this would seriously restrict any chances of me being inssued a visa. I am not sure what the original arrest was for, however the caution was for the above. Do police not have Cautions in USA? Please pardon my ignorance I am new to all of this as I've never been in trouble before.
I was 21 when it occured last months. I know it was a stupid thing to do and I do truly admit that, but I suppose it doesn't make it right or ok, I have definately learnt my lesson.
Old May 11th 2009, 9:58 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

It may not be a problem. I don't think cautions automatically count as convictions or admission to the essential elements of a CIMT. You won't know for sure until you apply for the visa.

Be sure to let us know how it turns out.
Old May 12th 2009, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

I'm just going to have to see what the outcome is....to be honest and although I should be thinking positively I don't think I would get issued with a visa as it is so recent.
Who knows what the future holds? I'm just gonna have to try and prove that I am not a danger to society and that this was most certainly a one off and totally out of character for me.
However I suppose it will be up to the visa agent on the day to decide my fate.
Does anybody here know anything about J-1 visas? Would I be ineligable for one of those now?
Thanks
Old May 12th 2009, 3:40 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg14624
I don't think cautions automatically count as convictions or admission to the essential elements of a CIMT.
I'm beginning to agree with you.
Old May 12th 2009, 3:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Does anybody here know anything about J-1 visas? Would I be ineligable for one of those now?
To the best of my knowledge, every visa will require you to disclose any prior offenses - and many of those visas require a police certificate prior to an interview.

Ian
Old May 12th 2009, 4:35 pm
crg
American Expat

I'm just going to have to see what the outcome is....to be honest and although I should be thinking positively I don't think I would get issued with a visa as it is so recent.
Who knows what the future holds? I'm just gonna have to try and prove that I am not a danger to society and that this was most certainly a one off and totally out of character for me.
However I suppose it will be up to the visa agent on the day to decide my fate.
Thanks
Criminal issues that can lead to a visa denial are the same for all of the nonimmigrant visa classes with the exception of the diplomatic classifications.

If the caution is not considered a conviction by the consular officer, it doesn't matter how recent the problem was. However, the fact you did it while drinking could cause concerns that you're an alcoholic with associated dangerous behavior. That could lead to inadmissibility on health grounds.
Old May 13th 2009, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

bjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by crg14624
However, the fact you did it while drinking could cause concerns that you're an alcoholic with associated dangerous behavior. That could lead to inadmissibility on health grounds.
...... and whilst smoking a cigarette - curse those simple pleasures in life
Old May 13th 2009, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

SwindonLad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowguy
According to

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...s_mailbox.html

"Tampering or vandalizing a mailbox is a federal offense, which can be punished with up to twenty-five years in prison"
This will be the issue likely...I suspect it will be a problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.