Care work in California

Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

skydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to behold
Default Care work in California

Hi All

I have a couple of threads going with my pending move to Orange county this year, the papers have been submited to USCIS so just waiting for the next stage.

I asked a few questions regarding TRYING to get my daughter over and the best advice i got was to get her back into school and go over on a study visa, we have been looking into this and is still the best option available HOWEVER:

She is an experianced care worker in the UK been in the same job for over 6 years and has her NVQ's 2 and 3, we took a chance and mailed her CV to a few care homes in OC and got a lot of negative replys stating how hard it is for anyone in the nursing industry to get a visa and training issues etc
HOWEVER:
we did get 1 possitive reply from a home in Laguna Niguel who said they liked her CV and experiance, they have asked what if anything they could do to sponsor her to go over, now from past info on BE i think H1B is out of the question Does anyone have any other ideas?

Just a stab in the dark but if you dont ask you dont get

Thanks in advance
Steve
Old Oct 7th 2008, 12:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Care work in California

For the Yanks onborad, what is a careworker? Do they have a nursing certificate? Social worker? What. A lot depends on what she is trained for and her schooling. If she is a nurse, look at the nursing forum under professions on BE.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

skydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rete
For the Yanks onborad, what is a careworker? Do they have a nursing certificate? Social worker? What. A lot depends on what she is trained for and her schooling. If she is a nurse, look at the nursing forum under professions on BE.
Thanks for that

A care worker is someone who looks after the elderly and infirm especialy those with altzimers etc, she has the most importatnt exams for the UK care work but would need to get what we believe is a SNA for the US

Steve
Old Oct 7th 2008, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry about that it is actually a CNA she needs, now the care home which is interested have said the can send her to community college to get her CNA qual, again is this anything we could work with would it class as study for aJ visa say

Just throwing some ideas around
Steve
Old Oct 7th 2008, 1:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skydivingisfun
Sorry about that it is actually a CNA she needs, now the care home which is interested have said the can send her to community college to get her CNA qual, again is this anything we could work with would it class as study for aJ visa say

Just throwing some ideas around
Steve
Just wondering if the assisted living home (or whatever it is official called) understands the cost of bringing someone over on a visa. My dad was in a private assisted living group home when he had Alzheimers, and they never would have been able to afford the cost of the process of hiring someone from overseas. They always seemed short of funds. I know this place offered, but I am wondering if they've done this before, and they fully understand the expense to them. They even are willing to pay for her to attend Community College, plus the cost of getting her work visa?

It's good you're asking here...maybe you can get some insight on what to ask THEM when the time comes to talk about them getting a visa for your daughter.

Rene
Old Oct 7th 2008, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Just wondering if the assisted living home (or whatever it is official called) understands the cost of bringing someone over on a visa. My dad was in a private assisted living group home when he had Alzheimers, and they never would have been able to afford the cost of the process of hiring someone from overseas. They always seemed short of funds. I know this place offered, but I am wondering if they've done this before, and they fully understand the expense to them. They even are willing to pay for her to attend Community College, plus the cost of getting her work visa?

It's good you're asking here...maybe you can get some insight on what to ask THEM when the time comes to talk about them getting a visa for your daughter.

Rene
Thanks for the feedback, i already mentioned to the manager that I would cover all costs just trying to see if it is something doable

Steve
Old Oct 7th 2008, 2:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the feedback, i already mentioned to the manager that I would cover all costs just trying to see if it is something doable

Steve

Since this nursing home has not done this before, perhaps you should find out if your daughter is qualified for a working visa. I would make the call to an immigration attorney for a consultation giving him/her all of your daughter's credentials and get his take on it.

I know that when Dad was in a nursing home each ward had a registered nurse on duty and practical nurses. They also had nurse's aids which might be what your daughter is right now. I don't know since I am not familiar with your healthcare system and/or its criteria for workers.

I can't see that a visa would be available for an aide.

Again, I point you to the nursing forum here and perhaps one of the UK nurses will have the acknowledge that you are seeking.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 2:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Steve
I think I've read here that you legally cannot cover all the costs. The employer is legally responsible to cover at least some of the cost, if not all of it. A 3-way phone consultation with an immigration attorney, the care home, and you would be a good idea.

Even if you cover the cost, it is the care home that will need to initiate her visa application and process, and if they've never done it before, they'll probably need to hire a lawyer to help them do that anyway.

Rene
Old Oct 7th 2008, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I think I've read here that you legally cannot cover all the costs. The employer is legally responsible to cover at least some of the cost, if not all of it. A 3-way phone consultation with an immigration attorney, the care home, and you would be a good idea.

Even if you cover the cost, it is the care home that will need to initiate her visa application and process, and if they've never done it before, they'll probably need to hire a lawyer to help them do that anyway.

Rene
Wow a bit more complicated that first thought back to the College stuff i guess, like i said was just kicking some ideas around

Thanks for the advice

Steve
Old Oct 7th 2008, 3:43 pm

Wow a bit more complicated that first thought back to the College stuff i guess, like i said was just kicking some ideas around

Thanks for the advice

Steve
No problem, doesn't hurt to cover all the bases. Go ahead and check out the nursing route anyway, couldn't hurt to give a look.

Rene