Visa Confusion

Old Oct 7th 2008, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

colin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nice
Post Visa Confusion

My wife is American and living in the UK. I have been offered a job in the USA for 2yrs, we have only been married 6 months and we intend to return to the uk after the 2yrs in the USA. Does anyone know if this will effect my wifes chances of getting a future visa when we return, as the current visa states that she shouldn't be out of the UK for more than 90 days over the next to yrs.

Cheers

Colin
Old Oct 7th 2008, 4:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa Confusion

This forum is for UK to US not US to UK. That said it would seem easy enough for you to apply for her leave to remain while you are in the US and when the time comes for you to return back to the UK. Only takes a few days to get.

BTW what work visa will you be getting to enable you to work in the US?
Old Oct 7th 2008, 4:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colin2496
My wife is American and living in the UK. I have been offered a job in the USA for 2yrs, we have only been married 6 months and we intend to return to the uk after the 2yrs in the USA. Does anyone know if this will effect my wifes chances of getting a future visa when we return, as the current visa states that she shouldn't be out of the UK for more than 90 days over the next to yrs.

Cheers

Colin
What visa does your wife have? What's her status in the UK?

What visa are YOU getting?

Rene
Old Oct 7th 2008, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

colin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nice

I don't even know what visa to get myself we were thinking just a go for a green card? the visa my wife is on is a further leave to remain ( i think) it is the first one you get to remain in the UK.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 4:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colin2496
I don't even know what visa to get myself we were thinking just a go for a green card? the visa my wife is on is a further leave to remain ( i think) it is the first one you get to remain in the UK.
You say you have a job offer. If you are going for a work-related visa, it is the company who will do all the visa application paperwork for you. It's not something you do yourself.

If you are only planning to stay in the USA for 2 years and then move permanently back to the UK, it won't be worth doing the Immigrant Visa, you will spend all that time and money just to turn around and abandon it in 2 years.

If you DO plan to go the Immigrant Visa route, and your wife qualifies to file the I-130 directly to the US Embassy in London (called Direct Consular Filing or DCF on this forum, but not officially), then you are looking at about 4 to 6 months before you are granted the Immigrant Visa so you can move to the USA permanently.

The good news is that you can work from Day 1 once you arrive in the USA on your Immigrant Visa. You become a US PR upon entry. But you must then live permanently in the USA, or you risk abandoning that status in the future if you move back to the UK.

Rene