Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Canadian Citizenship vs Permanent Resident

Canadian Citizenship vs Permanent Resident

Old Jul 10th 2008, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

AbbyB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Citizenship vs Permanent Resident

Hello Everyone,

I really want to move back to the UK and give life a try with my Canadian husband. I've been married and living in Montreal, Canada now for over 4 years and have missed my family and the UK badly for the whole duration

Now my hubby has never lived in the UK so I've told him that if worse comes to worst and he hates it after 12 months then we'll move back to Canada. I wouldn't want him going through what I've been through (pining, depressed)

I am wondering if I obtaining dual citizenship would be the best option seeing as there is a chance we might come back and live in Canada again or have long visits. I've checked and I qualify for Canadian Citizenship.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Abby
Old Jul 10th 2008, 6:18 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Citizenship vs Permanent Resident

I fully recommend you become a citizen in Canada (you done the time)...This may add time to your eventual departure but ultimately if you do ever need to come back in then you can just buy yourself a plane ticket and claim back residency.

As a permanent resident after a certain amount of time has past you will need to re-apply and go through all that hassle again.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 6:19 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by AbbyB

I am wondering if I obtaining dual citizenship would be the best option...
Absolutely!
Old Jul 10th 2008, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

AbbyB is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice We won't be moving for a while yet so I'll have plenty of time to sort things out.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 7:21 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Most other permanent residents, as livermanl said, have residency obligations. They have to be in Canada for a cumulated total of two years out of any five year period.

One thing you may be interested to know, Abby, is that, if you're a permanent resident of Canada, every day you spend outside of Canada counts as if it was a day spent inside Canada for the purposes of meeting your residency obligation. This is a privilege that is accorded to permanent residents who are spouses of Canadian citizens and those who work abroad for Canadian companies. So you could leave Canada indefinitely and, unless the law on this were to change, you would maintain your permanent resident status in Canada.

See the Wiki article called Residency Obligations-Canada.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea to get Canadian citizenship. In fact I think it's a good idea. But I thought it might help you to be aware of this other point.

Hope that helps.
x
Old Jul 10th 2008, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Start now, right now. Processing time in Montreal is 12-15 months.

http://www.v-soul.com/casedb/view.html

Originally Posted by AbbyB
Thanks for the advice We won't be moving for a while yet so I'll have plenty of time to sort things out.

Last edited by neill; Jul 10th 2008 at 7:47 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:10 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
So you could leave Canada indefinitely and, unless the law on this were to change, you would maintain your permanent resident status in Canada.
Bear in mind that the law on that could be changed in future.