H4 and volunteering

Old Jul 10th 2008, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

kel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to behold
Default H4 and volunteering

Who makes the decision on what is deemed aceptable volunteer work on a H4 I know its a difficult one to call but where would the answers lie - I have searched online and the greyness seems to be could the volunteer post go to a paid american -that is so vague in so many areas - and surely could account for most volunteer opportunities.

As you can probably see from my posts 2yrs into this bloomin H4 is killing me everytime I see a light it gets turned off - its seems sketchy - does anyone know where I would find the answers to get me some initial info before I consult with an attorney.

H1b not an option as my previous line of work would not get me a job over here.

Thanks
Old Jul 10th 2008, 6:17 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H4 and volunteering

Volunteer jobs that are *normally* volunteer are a safe place to start.
The Red Cross, food banks, women's DV hotline, Humane Society, animal shelter pet walker etc etc.

You coming to my office to volunteer to help me out in my for-profit business is me getting a free employee. (not that that is the limit of what you can't do, an example).
Old Jul 10th 2008, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

kel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to behold

Just being curious now but what about volunteer firefighters etc. If our plans to get our own business dont work out ( and I think it will be a no until GC) i need more - I am at going doing a paramedic degree i know i will never be able to work as one until gc but could possible help me get a fireighters job (volunteer).

so many options my head is spinning its about time they changed the legislations on H4.........
Old Jul 10th 2008, 7:02 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Now *that* is an interesting one. My gut says 'yes' but proceed with caution. For example, IF the only brigade in the area is all-volunteer. It is in our small town (the chief is paid), so everyone is a volunteer and all do the same tasks and get the same 'benefits'.
Stay on the business idea tho; you seemed very keen on that.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

We are very keen have been for years but was more of a long term goal rather than here and now - I know when opportunity comes knoocking and all that but i dont think it could warrant enough staff for the next few yrs until i get a work permit - we are investigating though.

Thanks for all your advice
Old Jul 10th 2008, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Now *that* is an interesting one. My gut says 'yes' but proceed with caution. For example, IF the only brigade in the area is all-volunteer. It is in our small town (the chief is paid), so everyone is a volunteer and all do the same tasks and get the same 'benefits'.
Stay on the business idea tho; you seemed very keen on that.
Before my DH got his EAD he did consider that. However, because of Workman's Comp issues, he was not allowed.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by geeandtee
Before my DH got his EAD he did consider that. However, because of Workman's Comp issues, he was not allowed.
whats "workmans comp issues" - was it personal to him or does it affect it affect all h4 volunteers ?
Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kel.n.issy
whats "workmans comp issues" - was it personal to him or does it affect it affect all h4 volunteers ?
I don't think it's a Federal thing, it is a state thing. As I understood it, in Arizona, if you are in a job that would be considered dangerous, your employer has to pay into a workman's compensation scheme..regardless of whether you are paid or not. To be eligible for workman's comp, you need to have a social security number.

I might be completely wrong here, and I don't think it effects all H4 volunteers, I'm just going by what happened with my hubby.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Ok thanks thats worth knowing