Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Canada and Advance Parole Question

Canada and Advance Parole Question

Old Feb 1st 2005, 1:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada and Advance Parole Question

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
Upon entering Canada, would he present his passport to them for inspection?
Yes.

Would they ask for his expired 1-94 card?
Probably not.

Should we bring the expired 1-94 card?
Yes, because you can never be too prepared.

Should we have on us our Notarized Marraige Certificate and Birth certificates along with his INS paperwork?
Yes, because you can never be too prepared.

Will they take his Advance parole Doc and record it in the system so that we can use it later when we go to Wales?
Yes.

Is this safe to go there?
Yes - there are very few terrorists in Canada. Have a great trip.

Ian
Old Feb 1st 2005, 1:52 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes - there are very few terrorists in Canada. Have a great trip.

Ian
LOL! I read it that way too! I dunno, those Canadians seem pretty dodgy to me.......
~SecretGarden
Old Feb 1st 2005, 2:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I know I should be asking our lawyer but I thought I'd check here anyways....
I, the USC am going to be in Burlington vermont next week working for two days. My husband {an 1-94 overstay by 20 days} has his Advance parole Documents. He has not used them yet. We are thinking it would be nice for him to come with me and then we can go to Montreal afterwards for a day. My questions are:

Upon entering Canada, would he present his passport to them for inspection?
Assuming you are driving and will enter at either Lake Champlain, NY crossing or one on the Vermont side.

Yes, you enter Canada as the citizen of whatever country you are from. You can give your driver's license, but we have always preferred using our passports.

Would they ask for his expired 1-94 card?
The Canadians? No, they will not. They will ask the purpose of your visit, the length of intended stay, and what you are bringing into the country. They might, and we have been asked for it, want to see the A/P just to be sure that you can re-enter the US.

Should we bring the expired 1-94 card?
Do not take it out of his passport. That is where it belongs and will be taken from him by the US examiner on the return trip back to the US. Make a copy for your records.

Should we have on us our Notarized Marraige Certificate and Birth certificates along with his INS paperwork?
No. Whatever would you want to do that for? Your marriage is none of Canada's business.

On the way back into the USA...........

Will they take his Advance parole Doc and record it in the system so that we can use it later when we go to Wales?
I have written this up hundreds of times, here goes once again ;-) Would put it as part of the FAQ but I don't go to visajourney.

At the drive thru booth when re-entering the US you and your husband will present your passports and his A/P. You will be directed to park your car and go into the inspection building. They may give you back the documentation and tell you to give it to them inside or they might hand deliver it themselves.

Inside the building, the information on the A/P will be recorded in the database, and we have always had the old I-94 removed and a new one placed on the A/P. In fact there are several. One stapled on the lower right corner and one on the upper left. Will have the date entered, date paroled to "indef", reason "AOS". They normally keep one copy of the A/P for return to the CIS and you are given the other copy.

This is the copy you will use over and over again when you travel during the validity period of the A/P.

There is normally a charge of $6 for the I-94 at the drive thru. However, because you are using A/P there is no charge.

Is this safe to go there? We want to make sure he gets back in!

Thanks.

Debs
No it is not safe. Those Canadians are ruthless and will take one look at your Garry and hold him for some harem so that he can procreate more adorable duplicates of himself.

Of course it is safe to go to Canada and 20 days of overstay is inconsequential and a long way from 180 days even if you had made a counting error.

Rete
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey come on now, Canadians arent ALL that bad!!!
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:43 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrea874
Hey come on now, Canadians arent ALL that bad!!!

Hehehe no not all of them. I and Shelia seemed to have married the only two from the frozen north with that warped sense of humor ;-)

Rete
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 3:48 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Now how did you know he was That cute Rete? Got the magnifying glass out on my avatar? Thanks so much for clarifying everything. We just want to do everything the right way and it's a little scary at times.

You guys have really made me laugh! Thanks again!

Debs

Hey Debs have a nice trip!!!
Andrea..Canadians aren't that bad.. specially you angry canadian chick lol