Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Can you work immediately after receiving the EAD?

Can you work immediately after receiving the EAD?

Old Apr 29th 2004, 6:01 pm
Jennifer Raccuglia

Default Can you work immediately after receiving the EAD?

After my husband receives his EAD card (whenever that may be) can he
just immediately go apply for jobs?

Does he receive his social security number right when he gets his EAD
or is this a separate process?

Old Apr 29th 2004, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

vazagothic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can you work immediately after receiving the EAD?

Originally posted by Jennifer Raccuglia

Unfortunatelly it is a separate process which can take from 10 to 90 days (or so).

He can seek employment with the EAD only, but employers will ask for his SSN before they will employ him.
Old Apr 29th 2004, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice

Originally posted by vazagothic
Unfortunatelly it is a separate process which can take from 10 to 90 days (or so).

He can seek employment with the EAD only, but employers will ask for his SSN before they will employ him.
You are allowed to seek employment prior to receiving your EAD card and can start work immediately after receiving it. You do need your SSN and will need to apply for it as soon as you can but once you have you can work prior to receiving it (I was told this at the SS office and that's exactly what I did). The employment approval is all that the employer needs to show you can work.
Old Apr 29th 2004, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Gracie is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe you can work with the EAD but may need to wait to get onto the payroll of your employer until you have your SSN as sometimes employer have difficulties in adding employee on their system without SSN. They may need to backpay you when you have your SSN.

Gracie
Old Apr 29th 2004, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice

Originally posted by Gracie
I believe you can work with the EAD but may need to wait to get onto the payroll of your employer until you have your SSN as sometimes employer have difficulties in adding employee on their system without SSN. They may need to backpay you when you have your SSN.

Gracie
I was lucky my company had no problem with paying me before I got my SSN. I got a check after my first week with no tax taken off. I will have to pay that at the end of the year. Luckily I only have one week to work without my SSN. I guess it depends on how geared up the company is to these things.
Old Apr 29th 2004, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Susanna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by AlisonPA
I was lucky my company had no problem with paying me before I got my SSN. I got a check after my first week with no tax taken off. I will have to pay that at the end of the year. Luckily I only have one week to work without my SSN. I guess it depends on how geared up the company is to these things.

Read this it will help.
www.ssa.gov/emplyer/hiring.htm
Old Apr 29th 2004, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Susanna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Susanna
Read this it will help.
www.ssa.gov/emplyer/hiring.htm

sorry www.ssa.gov/employer/hiring.htm
Old Apr 29th 2004, 6:51 pm
foxy little minx

bequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Jennifer Raccuglia

I believe (but I may be wrong and if I am someone will chip in with the correction) that it's easier to request the SSN as soon as you come over with the k1 ASAP before getting married, and then, AOS after the marriage and request the EAD after you've gotten your SSN.

Of course this won't be much help if your husband is already here, already married to you, and already applied for his EAD. I just thought I'd share in case you were stating a hypothetical "what if" getting ahead of yourself...