Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Can a TN1 visa holder file for I-140 and I-485

Can a TN1 visa holder file for I-140 and I-485

Old Apr 27th 2011, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

Jimmy100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can a TN1 visa holder file for I-140 and I-485

If there is a permenant employment offer to the TN1 visa worker from the same company where TN1 is working, can the employer/employee file I-140 and I-485 ?

Thanks in advance..

Jimmy
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can a TN1 visa holder file for I-140 and I-485

Originally Posted by Jimmy100
If there is a permenant employment offer to the TN1 visa worker from the same company where TN1 is working, can the employer/employee file I-140 and I-485 ?
I guess that depends on which visa you're hoping to get... but yes, the employer can likely file an I-140.

Ian
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

tricky thing is if the TN1 is close to needing a renewal because that won't be given if you've got intent to stay long term...case of possibly asking a experienced immigration lawyer on how best to time things if you plan to file I-485.
Old May 4th 2011, 4:55 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

An I-140 filing by your employer has no bearing on your eligibility for TN-1, because the employer is filing (something you technically have no control over), therefore this does not indicate that you have immigrant intent (note if you're going for EB-1, an I-140 filing does indicate immigrant intent because you file the I-140 personally).

This is commonly misunderstood, even by a few CBP inspectors at POEs.

The I-485 filing on the other hand does indicate immigrant intent, so obviously you should ensure that your TN-1 is unlikely to expire during the AOS processing, which isn't terribly hard to do given they can be valid for up to three years now. Basically just make sure there is a year left on your TN-1 before filing the AOS application.
Old May 4th 2011, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
An I-140 filing by your employer has no bearing on your eligibility for TN-1, because the employer is filing (something you technically have no control over), therefore this does not indicate that you have immigrant intent (note if you're going for EB-1, an I-140 filing does indicate immigrant intent because you file the I-140 personally).

This is commonly misunderstood, even by a few CBP inspectors at POEs.

The I-485 filing on the other hand does indicate immigrant intent, so obviously you should ensure that your TN-1 is unlikely to expire during the AOS processing, which isn't terribly hard to do given they can be valid for up to three years now. Basically just make sure there is a year left on your TN-1 before filing the AOS application.

This is interesting. Would this logic apply to E-3 visa too - EB2 category?
Old May 4th 2011, 11:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
(note if you're going for EB-1, an I-140 filing does indicate immigrant intent because you file the I-140 personally).
The I-140 for EB1-C (the most common EB-1 subcategory) is filed by employer.