Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Chance of getting a TN if job & degree aren't totally matched

Chance of getting a TN if job & degree aren't totally matched

Old May 3rd 2011, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

CanuckMS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chance of getting a TN if job & degree aren't totally matched

I have a master degree on Recreation with a focus on Hospitality Management. By that, I meant prior to the Recreation master degree program, I was a HM major for two semesters at a State University. When looking at the TN list of qualifying professions, hotel / restaurant manager is the one closest to my degree.

I actually don't have a job offer yet, but before trying to find a sponsor, i'd need to know if this is even possible to get me a TN? To do that, I need a good TN attorney to advise me on my situation. (So attorney referrals are welcome.) Of course, if folks who are familiar with TN can tell me my case is not considered complexed, then I'll not be as nervous about it. But I'll still need a good attorney to proceed with a TN to GC process, which is ultimately my goal.

Also, currently I'm still in the US as a visitor. If I'll be bale to get a job / sponsor, can I obtain my TN without having to leave the US? If yes, is there any difference between the two - 1) getting it in the US and 2) exiting then reenter to get it at POE? Is one easier / safer over the other? Thank you.
Old May 4th 2011, 1:38 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chance of getting a TN if job & degree aren't totally matched

Originally Posted by CanuckMS
I'll still need a good attorney to proceed with a TN to GC process, which is ultimately my goal.
Unless I'm mistaken, I don't believe there is a route that leads directly from TN to GC. While the TN visa is renewable indefinitely, there's no mechanism that I know of that links the two together. You'd need to move from a TN to some other visa, H-1B most likely, and from there move towards a GC. That process, by the way, will take many years.

If I'll be bale to get a job / sponsor, can I obtain my TN without having to leave the US?
No. You must appear at the US border to get a TN visa, and you must then enter the US with that visa. It's the valid visa that allows you to remain in the US for a year.

Ian
Old May 4th 2011, 2:19 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Unless I'm mistaken, I don't believe there is a route that leads directly from TN to GC. While the TN visa is renewable indefinitely, there's no mechanism that I know of that links the two together. You'd need to move from a TN to some other visa, H-1B most likely, and from there move towards a GC. That process, by the way, will take many years.

No. You must appear at the US border to get a TN visa, and you must then enter the US with that visa. It's the valid visa that allows you to remain in the US for a year.

Ian
On the pedantic side, excluding "K" visas, the general rule is that there is no "direct" path from non-immigrant to immigrant status. The "K" is known as a "hybrid" because of that factor. If one had to charactarize things, one might say the non-immigrant and immigrant classifications are parallel paths.
Old May 4th 2011, 11:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Canadian citizens get TN status, not visas. The original poster's username suggests that Mexican citizenship is unlikely.