Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Can I reschedule Interview for my parents?

Can I reschedule Interview for my parents?

Old Sep 3rd 2010, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

samal1485 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I reschedule Interview for my parents?

Hello,
1.My parents were called for an interview in their home town in Russia. Since we did not expect that it will be very soon, can my parents reschedule an interview date? Can they request an interview to be in March, 2011?
2.If not, will they have to live the country and come to the USA in the next 6 months (as soon as they pass an interview)?
3.If my father has a job in Russia, as a green card holder, can he be out of the USA for more than 6 months?

I (USA citizen) submitted docs in Dec 2009. Interview was scheduled for October 2010.

Thank you,
Samal
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I reschedule Interview for my parents?

Originally Posted by samal1485
... can my parents reschedule an interview date?
Yes, but there is never a guarantee that the reschedule information will get to the people who need to know. If your parents don't show up, the visas will be denied and the case closed.

Can they request an interview to be in March, 2011?
Yes, they can make that request.

If not, will they have to live the country and come to the USA in the next 6 months (as soon as they pass an interview)?
If they get the visas they do not have to leave immediately... but they must enter the US within 6 months of visa issuance.

If my father has a job in Russia, as a green card holder, can he be out of the USA for more than 6 months?
Can he? Yes. Should he? Probably not, and certainly not without a re-entry permit.

I (USA citizen) submitted docs in Dec 2009. Interview was scheduled for October 2010.
That's about 10 months... quite normal.

Ian
Old Sep 4th 2010, 1:44 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
1.My parents were called for an interview in their home town in Russia. Since we did not expect that it will be very soon, can my parents reschedule an interview date? Can they request an interview to be in March, 2011?
I'm a bit more optimistic than Ian on this; they can certainly try but they should not expect to send off one letter, get no answer, and think everything is OK.
If the case is still at the NVC, now would be the time to arrange this, but it sounds like you may be past this point.
Why did you leave it so late? When are your parents ready to permanently move to the US?
Old Sep 4th 2010, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

The case are in Russia, and the interview was scheduled in USA Embassy in Russia. I guess they should go to the consulate and try to reschedule.
Since my father has a good job for another 7 months, moneywise, it is better if he keeps his job. He wont have job in the USA. This is the only reason for rescheduling.
If I close the case, then when I can submit I-130 for my parents?

Thank you,

Samal
Old Sep 4th 2010, 5:12 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The case are in Russia, and the interview was scheduled in USA Embassy in Russia. I guess they should go to the consulate and try to reschedule.
Since my father has a good job for another 7 months, moneywise, it is better if he keeps his job. He wont have job in the USA. This is the only reason for rescheduling.

Thank you,

Samal
It sounds to me as though they will be able to leave almost on time anyway, even if they interview in October as planned.

It's September now. Your dad has a job for the next 7 months. That bring it to April 2011.

The interview is in October. Assuming they get approved the same day and get the visa within a week, they have 6 months to use the visa. This brings it to April 2011.

I think they should attend the October interview date and see what happens. If they get approved, they should make plans to immigrate in April 2011, and if your dad ends up leaving work a few weeks early because of the deadline, so be it. He'll only lose a few weeks of pay, not months as you are predicting. Of course, that's depending what his job is.

If you let the case close, you can file I-130's again right away, as soon as you know the case is closed for sure. But then it will take another 10 - 12 months to process again, they have to re-do police reports and medicals again, pay all the fees again....and if his job is only lasting another 7 months, then he'll be out of work in Russia after that time instead of in the USA.

Rene
Old Sep 4th 2010, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

Thank you everybody!
Samal
Old Sep 4th 2010, 6:57 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you,

Samal
I agree with Rene.. the timing is very, very close and if your parents are ready to move permanently next spring, it makes the most sense to keep what they've got, or try to have it moved by a couple of months.

You will want to confirm that the visa validity is 6 months; due to reciprocity, it may be different (simply find someone who's received an IV from Russia).
It's not just the I-130 fee.. you've paid the visa fees, the I-864 fees, the medical & various other reports.. pretty expensive to give up over a couple months/weeks wages.

good luck to them!