Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Can an H-4 visa holder "passively" invest this way???

Can an H-4 visa holder "passively" invest this way???

Old Jun 21st 2002, 4:20 pm
Ar

Default Can an H-4 visa holder "passively" invest this way???

As an H-4, is it possible to "invest" with a group of friends who are engaged in real
estate investing. They would buy and sell properties in order to profit. I wouldn't
be actively managing or fixing up any of the properties. They would use the proceeds
from the sale (with profits) to invest in over properties in turn, fix them up and
sell again... My question is, at what point would I be able to obtain some of the
money back?? Again, I wouldn't be actively managing or fixing any of the properties,
my role would be passive (just like a mutual fund where the manager has the
discretion to buy and sell other stocks)... I just want to know if the rules in real
estate are the same as with the stock market. Thanks in advance. AR

Old Jun 21st 2002, 6:20 pm
Stuart Brook

Default Re: Can an H-4 visa holder "passively" invest this way???

AR wrote:
    >
    > As an H-4, is it possible to "invest" with a group of friends who are engaged in
    > real estate investing. They would buy and sell properties in order to profit. I
    > wouldn't be actively managing or fixing up any of the properties. They would use
    > the proceeds from the sale (with profits) to invest in over properties in turn, fix
    > them up and sell again... My question is, at what point would I be able to obtain
    > some of the money back?? Again, I wouldn't be actively managing or fixing any of
    > the properties, my role would be passive (just like a mutual fund where the manager
    > has the discretion to buy and sell other stocks)... I just want to know if the
    > rules in real estate are the same as with the stock market. Thanks in advance. AR

As long as you don't have any say in anything they're doing with your money! You
trust your friends that much ?

Old Jun 21st 2002, 7:20 pm
Ar

The idea wouldn't just be to hand them a "blank check", but rather enter into a legal
contract where the amount of money lend is specified, how the money is going to be
used, etc. The contract would also allow me to withdraw the money anytime I wanted to
in the future.

"Stuart Brook" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > AR wrote:
    > >
    > > As an H-4, is it possible to "invest" with a group of friends who are engaged in
    > > real estate investing. They would buy and sell properties in order to profit. I
    > > wouldn't be actively managing or fixing up any of the properties. They would use
    > > the proceeds from the sale (with profits) to invest in over properties in turn,
    > > fix them up and sell again... My question is, at what point would I be able to
    > > obtain some of the
money
    > > back?? Again, I wouldn't be actively managing or fixing any of the properties, my
    > > role would be passive (just like a mutual fund where the manager has the
    > > discretion to buy and sell other stocks)... I just want
to
    > > know if the rules in real estate are the same as with the stock market. Thanks in
    > > advance. AR
    >
    > As long as you don't have any say in anything they're doing with your money! You
    > trust your friends that much ?

Rludwig

no problem at all as long as you do not enter into a quasi employment situation,
investment of most kind is open for foreigners and even non-residents; there are
regulations if you acquire certain percentages of banks and of government
suppliers etc.

"AR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news[email protected] digy.com...
    > The idea wouldn't just be to hand them a "blank check", but rather enter into a
    > legal contract where the amount of money lend is specified, how the money is going
    > to be used, etc. The contract would also allow me to
withdraw
    > the money anytime I wanted to in the future.
    >
    > "Stuart Brook" <[email protected] > wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > AR wrote:
    > > >
    > > > As an H-4, is it possible to "invest" with a group of friends who are engaged
    > > > in real estate investing. They would buy and sell properties
in
    > > > order to profit. I wouldn't be actively managing or fixing up any of
the
    > > > properties. They would use the proceeds from the sale (with profits)
to
    > > > invest in over properties in turn, fix them up and sell again... My question
    > > > is, at what point would I be able to obtain some of the
    > money
    > > > back?? Again, I wouldn't be actively managing or fixing any of the properties,
    > > > my role would be passive (just like a mutual fund where
the
    > > > manager has the discretion to buy and sell other stocks)... I just
want
    > to
    > > > know if the rules in real estate are the same as with the stock
market.
    > > > Thanks in advance. AR
    > >
    > > As long as you don't have any say in anything they're doing with your money! You
    > > trust your friends that much ?

Rludwig

no problem at all as long as you do not enter into a quasi employment situation,
investment of most kind is open for foreigners and even non-residents; there are
regulations if you acquire certain percentages of banks and of government
suppliers etc.

"AR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news[email protected] digy.com...
    > The idea wouldn't just be to hand them a "blank check", but rather enter into a
    > legal contract where the amount of money lend is specified, how the money is going
    > to be used, etc. The contract would also allow me to
withdraw
    > the money anytime I wanted to in the future.
    >
    > "Stuart Brook" <[email protected] > wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > AR wrote:
    > > >
    > > > As an H-4, is it possible to "invest" with a group of friends who are engaged
    > > > in real estate investing. They would buy and sell properties
in
    > > > order to profit. I wouldn't be actively managing or fixing up any of
the
    > > > properties. They would use the proceeds from the sale (with profits)
to
    > > > invest in over properties in turn, fix them up and sell again... My question
    > > > is, at what point would I be able to obtain some of the
    > money
    > > > back?? Again, I wouldn't be actively managing or fixing any of the properties,
    > > > my role would be passive (just like a mutual fund where
the
    > > > manager has the discretion to buy and sell other stocks)... I just
want
    > to
    > > > know if the rules in real estate are the same as with the stock
market.
    > > > Thanks in advance. AR
    > >
    > > As long as you don't have any say in anything they're doing with your money! You
    > > trust your friends that much ?

Stuart Brook

RLudwig wrote:
    >
    > no problem at all as long as you do not enter into a quasi employment situation,
    > investment of most kind is open for foreigners and even non-residents; there are
    > regulations if you acquire certain percentages of banks and of government
    > suppliers etc.

It's easier if you aren't a resident. What matters is what you do when your feet are
on US soil!

I wouldn't say "no problem at all", but just "be careful in your contract" that you
don't have any say in how your money is used apart from your contract. Remember too
that your colleagues would have to "buy you out", therefore it could take a while to
sell your shares.

Old Jun 21st 2002, 8:20 pm
Ar

Default H-1B have same "investing" rules as H-4??

Are H-1B visaholders subject to the same "investing" rules as H-4, or do they have
more liberty as to the type of activities and frequency of investing?

"Stuart Brook" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > RLudwig wrote:
    > >
    > > no problem at all as long as you do not enter into a quasi employment situation,
    > > investment of most kind is open for foreigners and even non-residents; there are
    > > regulations if you acquire certain percentages
of
    > > banks and of government suppliers etc.
    >
    > It's easier if you aren't a resident. What matters is what you do when your feet
    > are on US soil!
    >
    > I wouldn't say "no problem at all", but just "be careful in your contract" that you
    > don't have any say in how your money is used apart from your contract. Remember too
    > that your colleagues would have to "buy you out", therefore it could take a while
    > to sell your shares.

Old Jun 21st 2002, 10:20 pm
Stuart Brook

Default Re: H-1B have same "investing" rules as H-4??

AR wrote:
    >
    > Are H-1B visaholders subject to the same "investing" rules as H-4, or do they have
    > more liberty as to the type of activities and frequency of investing?

Virtually all non-immigrants are the same.