Can any one help

Old Jul 22nd 2008, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

needaholiday is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can any one help

Hello Allapprox 19 years ago (not sure of the exact date think aug/sept 1989) I was posted to Orlando by the travel holiday company I worked for (Cosmos Holidays). It was a while ago and I can't even remember exactly when I went but think april 1989. I travelled back and forth 2 - 3 times for Cosmos to the Bahamas, on the last occassion I was denied entry into the US (CBP immigration for US is in Nassau so you do immigration even before entry into the states), Guess the company didn't have the right visa for me! Honestly I think I was just on a VWP but naively (and stupidly) thought the company I worked for for hearly 5 years would have pointed out the risks. Anyway I can't remember if I was classed as denied entry or deported, don't recall every having a written report of the event and don't have the passport that I had then.I want to travel to the US next year for family hols and after investigation understand that under deportation/denied entry I can apply for a visa after 10 years (OK so far) but I also need a copy of the I-876 or I-877 form reporting the event. I've tried contacting the main CBP office, and the CBP people at Nassau through two different US Embassy Nassau email addresses and am not getting any reply. Any suggestions??? I'd love to be able to take the family for hols.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 4:15 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can any one help

can you get your hands on that old passport - as it would usually be written in there what the actual denial category was.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 5:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Freedom of Information Act application, but that can take a very long time.

Passport would be a good start.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

In my experience, I would never again try to contact anyone concerning this kind of thing via email. I've never gotten any response from emails i've sent - have you tried calling or sending a letter?
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by needaholiday
Hello Allapprox 19 years ago (not sure of the exact date think aug/sept 1989) I was posted to Orlando by the travel holiday company I worked for (Cosmos Holidays). It was a while ago and I can't even remember exactly when I went but think april 1989. I travelled back and forth 2 - 3 times for Cosmos to the Bahamas, on the last occassion I was denied entry into the US (CBP immigration for US is in Nassau so you do immigration even before entry into the states), Guess the company didn't have the right visa for me! Honestly I think I was just on a VWP but naively (and stupidly) thought the company I worked for for hearly 5 years would have pointed out the risks. Anyway I can't remember if I was classed as denied entry or deported, don't recall every having a written report of the event and don't have the passport that I had then.I want to travel to the US next year for family hols and after investigation understand that under deportation/denied entry I can apply for a visa after 10 years (OK so far) but I also need a copy of the I-876 or I-877 form reporting the event. I've tried contacting the main CBP office, and the CBP people at Nassau through two different US Embassy Nassau email addresses and am not getting any reply. Any suggestions??? I'd love to be able to take the family for hols.
Hi:

CBP did not exist before March 1, 2003. You were before the former INS. If you were formally refused entry on Visa Waiver -- it is NOT a formal "exclusion" [as it was called before 1 April 1996].

What is your concern and why do you ask?
Old Jul 24th 2008, 7:48 am
Just Joined

Hello Folinskyinia

Just to confirm responses from others, no way to get hold of the old passport.

Understand you says CBP was INS before, but guess theyhold the same records? otherwise how can CBP tell when someone enters if they have bad history before 2003?

I was refused (denied) re-entry I was allowed entry on the original VWP but as I said above allthough not sure of the exact dates, think - as well as the fact I was sent there to work by my company (on VWP)- that I was in the US over the 90 days.

My concern is that the VWP form and US Emb guidance says if you've been denied entry or deported you are not eligible for VWP and need to get a VISA.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Hello English Bride

Thanks for your response

I've only spoken to the US Emb in London. But I haven' tried telephoning further afield, I have a number in Nassau for the US embassy where I understand the CBP work out of, guess I'll try them.

needaholiday
Old Jul 24th 2008, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to point out that working in the US while visiting on the VWP is illegal.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Hi britishguy36
so should I sue the company I worked for? I know now its illegal back then I was young and had worked for this company for nearly 5 years, they send me there without saying 'hey its illegal but we'll send you anyway', sorry I know ultimnately its my fault at the end of the day, but as I said it was 19 years ago, Us embs info I have is that after deporation/denied entryyou can apply for a visa after 10 years (20 years for the 2nd deportation). I'm not a criminal and and don't even like taking a day off work unless I'm really sick I'm just trying to do things by the book here, my kids would love a holiday to the US and as I was left some money recently we can afford to go.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

What would you sue them for?

How would you prove it?