Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Bush made the proposal today on immigration

Bush made the proposal today on immigration

Old Jan 7th 2004, 7:37 pm
elviswasmydad

Default Bush made the proposal today on immigration

Bush proposed his worker program today. I wonder if this only applies to Mexico, or whether other countries can also participate.

This program will cause AOS waiting times to be much longer.

Last edited by elviswasmydad; Jan 7th 2004 at 7:40 pm.

Old Jan 7th 2004, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

sonee is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bush made the proposal today on immigration

In what way will the wait on AOS will be much longer by this?
Old Jan 7th 2004, 8:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Where do you come up with this.

Originally posted by elviswasmydad
I was listening on CNN, and they were laying out the details. the anchor said, "The Adjustment Applications of the Illegal Immigrants will not be given preferential treatment over existing applications.
The worker program does not allow illegal immigrans to adjust status

the adjustment period used to be about 4-8 weeks.
Which Decade?

Currently, its 18-24 months for my friends in the Midwest. My friend talked with the officer at his AOS interview, and the officer said that the service is overloaded and he's already stuck doing 5 interviews each day. In his opinion, it is not enough time to do the background checks required to keep out any bad folks or cross reference the materials.
5 interviews a day with each interview lasting no more than 1/2 hour that is 2-1/2 hours out of a 7-8 hour work day. Heavy overload

Can you imagine the effect that dumping even a portion of those 8 million folks (say an additional 1 Million or 20%) into the service centers would have? Theoretically, you'll likely see that AOS times will jump to 24-48 months.
Since they will not be able to adjust status your theory is pointless. If it did have relevancy, then look to the ramifications of the now expired Section 245(i) Act where illegals were indeed allowed to adjust status under certain conditions.

[quote]What does that mean for us? Well... without the green card or adjustment interview you:

1) Have to apply for Employment Authorization each year. $165

Thought it was $120

2) Renew your Driver's License/Permit Each year
Not applicable to all states

3) Get, Extend or request multiple Advance Parole if you wish to leave the country
Already the case so your point is?

4) Have to prepare an new affidavites of support for the Interview (because several years wil have passed)
We already do so, again, your point is?

Plus... it just slows everything down more. It sure seems like we are saying if you can sneak in or overstay, we'll eventually let you become legal if you keep your head down and don't draw attention to yourself.
As been the case for many a year now with the few amnesties that the government has thrown at various points during the last 20 to 30 years.

Most of us have very well organized applications, and our documentation is well in order. I doubt that there will be any "standard" or "much good organization" in over 50% of the illegal petitions. I'd suspect that there will be multiple RFE (Requests for Evidence), thousands of address changes, and many workers who migrate during adjustment leaving behind petitions in the system that have no "forwarding address" or way to reach them. Those "abandoned applications" will just sit in the queue's slowing down everything. THey will get service center interview appointments times (which will never be reciieved by the applicants who have moved) and push other Adjusment cases further into the future.
If abandoned they are removed. They don't sit there. Where they do sit is the cave in Lee's Summit, MO Service Centers do give appointment times because you don't go to the service center for anything.

There are already millions of address changes that USCIS has never logged into the system. So your point is?

Why do you care how someone, other than yourself, organizes their paperwork. You seem to be obssessed today with RFEs? Do you see one for yourself in the future?

Geezus Murphy Illegitimate Wanna Be Son of a Star ... get a life and a grip on yourself.

Rete

Ignoring all the other arguments (from drains on public services to tax revenue or lack of it from illegals), the influx will probably be enough to flood, cripple and slow the BCIS for up to 2 years.

I think they do need to do something with the situation of illegals in the country. It could be that this proposal is a good thing over-all.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sonee
In what way will the wait on AOS will be much longer by this?
Imagine about 12 million illegal immigrants all filing for green card status at the same time. Not all of them will likely file for it, but guarentee a large enough amount will - which will totally bombard the service centers,which are probably cringing in fear at the thought.

Basically, this is just an amnesty program. Gotta love the way he wants to forgive people who have broken the law.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 8:39 pm
Mrraveltay

elviswasmydad wrote:
    > Bush proposed his worker program today. I wonder if this only applies
    > to Mexico, or whether other countries can also participate.

I assume, like the previous LIFE, it would affect immigrants from other
countries. However, I don't understand why we spend so much man power
with Border Patrol stopping people from crossing the boarder, if we are
going to give amnesty to those who are able to cross.

Old Jan 7th 2004, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

curlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nice

It seems to apply to all immigrants - so I guess that maybe this "3 yr renewable work authorization" will be comparable to the H1B - only much easier to get. So long as you have a job offer, your employer will be able to get you a visa much easier. Bush said to immigrants already working in this country working - they can apply for the work auth. and to people outside the country who want to work can get the work auth. once they have a job offer.
Dont know whether it will have an effect on people with pending applications - you've gotta hope they will take on more people to deal with the "rush"!! I'm just glad I have my interview date for AOS already
Anyway, it still have to pass through the House and Senate - and a lot of conservative Rebuplicans are not happy with the proposal.

Originally posted by Mrraveltay
elviswasmydad wrote:

I assume, like the previous LIFE, it would affect immigrants from other
countries. However, I don't understand why we spend so much man power
with Border Patrol stopping people from crossing the boarder, if we are
going to give amnesty to those who are able to cross.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 10:09 pm
Scott and Nanette

ScottHenshaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahhhhh, the power of the good old, "Edit Function".... If one sounds stupid, doesnt make sense or pulls a, "Seadave" it is so nice to just be able to edit or delete what one says. If it were not for some of the more savy posters that have the original message in their post, no one would have a clue to what the original poster is talking about.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 10:12 pm
elviswasmydad

They will be processed through the same service centers and although they will not have the same AOS as those you are thinking about , they will bog down the system..

Old Jan 7th 2004, 10:20 pm
Scott and Nanette

ScottHenshaw is an unknown quantity at this point

They will be processed through the same service centers and although they will not have the same AOS as those you are thinking about , they will bog down the system..
On the subject of, "Bogging down the system", why not try to limit your posting to those times when you are medicated enough to make some sort of sense and stop using the edit/delete feature to cover up you self loathing and cowardism?
Old Jan 7th 2004, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Bush proposed his worker program today. I wonder if this only applies to Mexico, or whether other countries can also participate.

This program will cause AOS waiting times to be much longer.
What I want to know/understand (since I haven't fully read Bush's proposal) is if Bush wants to allow people from foreign countries to apply for a conditional (temporary?) Green Card if they get a job offer, why the heck would we even need an H-visa category?? That sounds a bit redundant to me.

And it just pisses me off that my fiance could have just gone ahead and entered the country, waited for this little amnesty program to start, and then adjusted his status. God knows how many people are going to take advantage of this program, flood the job markets most likely (unless the program limits what jobs can be applied for), and backlog all the service centers for God knows how long.

I suppose I'm just being blind in that I don't see the advantages to this program for Americans and what does this say to those of us who have gone through the immigration process legally?

Again, just my humble opinion.
Jamie
Old Jan 7th 2004, 11:38 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13
Imagine about 12 million illegal immigrants all filing for green card status at the same time. Not all of them will likely file for it, but guarentee a large enough amount will - which will totally bombard the service centers,which are probably cringing in fear at the thought.

Basically, this is just an amnesty program. Gotta love the way he wants to forgive people who have broken the law.
God I'd hate to be a K-1 candidate at whichever SChas to process all those applications
Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:27 am
Andrew Defaria

sunflwrgrl13 wrote:

> What I want to know/understand (since I haven't fully read Bush's
    > proposal) is if Bush wants to allow people from foreign countries to
    > apply for a conditional (temporary?) Green Card if they get a job
    > offer, why the heck would we even need an H-visa category?? That
    > sounds a bit redundant to me.

Sounds to me like this plan was drawn up by the Department of Redundancy
Department! :-)

> And it just pisses me off that my fiance could have just gone ahead
    > and entered the country, waited for this little amnesty program to
    > start, and then adjusted his status. God knows how many people are
    > going to take advantage of this program, flood the job markets most
    > likely (unless the program limits what jobs can be applied for), and
    > backlog all the service centers for God knows how long.

You got it!

> I suppose I'm just being blind in that I don't see the advantages to
    > this program for Americans

It's not advantageous to Americans - It's advantageous to "new"
Americans or Americans-to-be.

> and what does this say to those of us who have gone through the
    > immigration process legally?

You've just been screwed. :-(
--
Some people are only alive because it is illegal to shoot them

Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Probably Texas will be swamped and then iot will be passed on to the NVC

Originally posted by ironporer
God I'd hate to be a K-1 candidate at whichever SChas to process all those applications
Old Jan 8th 2004, 3:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by lpdiver
Probably Texas will be swamped and then iot will be passed on to the NVC
I just pray that I can get my fiance here, get hitched, and get our AOS applied for, before this bill potentially passes and all the applications begin flooding in. I hope we can ALL get clear of the Service Centers before they get blasted.

This is just a slap in the face to all of us that have suffered the heartbreak of separation for months & months in order to do things the right way. This is not an example of "our tax dollars working for us." Maybe that's selfish of me to not consider what poor conditions these people possibly came from, but I feel the government has the responsibility to service us, the US Citizens, first - those that have been separated from loved ones for long periods of time - and not these people who have snuck across the border illegally. Why should those of us that are Citizens of this country have to wait in line (yet again!) behind the massive amount of people that will be filing for this? How many years would it then take for those of applying for AOS to get a GC, after getting our loved ones here, if this program is passed?

Guess you could say this new proposal really pisses me off.
But enough ranting, time for bed.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 4:09 am
L D Jones

elviswasmydad wrote:
    >

Not only Mexico

> This program will cause AOS waiting times to be much longer.

There's no proof of that. What if all the new work permits were handled
in a new center staffed by new employees? It could happen, I guess. It's
just a few vague proposals now anyway. People keep posting about this
thing as if it were already law

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.