Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

British parents traveling from US to Canada. Visa required?

British parents traveling from US to Canada. Visa required?

Old May 7th 2009, 10:33 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute
Default British parents traveling from US to Canada. Visa required?

Hi everyone

My British parents are visiting us here in Chicago. I (UK/USC) am taking them to Vancouver to visit her sister for 5 days. Do we need to do anything extra special to travel to Canada or not?

Thanks

Maggie
Old May 7th 2009, 10:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British parents traveling from US to Canada. Visa required?

Originally Posted by Maggs
Do we need to do anything extra special to travel to Canada or not?
As long as their I-94s and passports are current, it shouldn't be an issue.

Ian
Old May 7th 2009, 11:30 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ian

Thanks for the info. They arrive on May 10th here in the US. We are traveling to Vancouver May 23rd and returning to the US May 27th and they go back to UK June 6th. Passports are all current and have a long expiration date. I-94 will be current on arrival on May 10th and also the ESTA.

I did think it would be ok, just wanted to make sure. Thanks again.

Maggie
Old May 7th 2009, 11:34 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Maggie, they hang on to their I-94W cards when entering Canada, and reuse them when returning to the US. They will not get a new one with a new 90 days, but for whomever's reference, if you need an I-94W at the Canadian border, you have to go into the office there, and pay $6.

They've already got their (free) ESTA clearance?
Have a great visit with your folks and enjoy Vancouver. I think we'll go this summer. .I love it there!
Old May 7th 2009, 11:39 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Hi Meauxna

Thanks for the info about the I-94 and also how to get another one if necessary. I'll make sure they keep hold of it, don't want to spend any more money than needed! Yes, they have the ESTA clearance, I did it on their behalf a couple of months ago.

Everyone is very excited as my mum is the eldest sister and has never visited her younger (20 years younger) sister before. My mum is 86 and as excited as a 12 year old!

Bye for now

Maggie
Old May 8th 2009, 12:09 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

How sweet!
A lovely English lady took my family under her wing when we first arrived in Spain. She loaned or rented her holiday flat in Mallorca to my parents and we all lived in this tiny studio apartment that was *freezing* until we got settled.
Well, my mom stayed in touch with Eileen over the years and when we moved to Oregon, turns out Eileen is up in Vancouver, so we reconnected after all those years and had wonderful visits with her. Maybe that's part of why I like it there so much.

Eileen played 'godmother' for my sister and I so we would not be left out like poor orphans at Easter time, which is a big big deal in Spain.. awww, thanks for sparking the happy memories!
Old May 8th 2009, 12:19 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maggs
Hi Meauxna

Thanks for the info about the I-94 and also how to get another one if necessary. I'll make sure they keep hold of it, don't want to spend any more money than needed! Yes, they have the ESTA clearance, I did it on their behalf a couple of months ago.

Everyone is very excited as my mum is the eldest sister and has never visited her younger (20 years younger) sister before. My mum is 86 and as excited as a 12 year old!

Bye for now

Maggie
There are restrictions on food stuffs that you can bring and no plants/flowers. So if Mum wants to bring flowers with her she will have to buy them in Canada.

What a lovely Mother's Day present you are getting on May 10th. Ironic I was in Vancouver last May 10th broading our cruise ship to leave that night for Alaska. Have a great visit and bring your umbrellas.
Old May 8th 2009, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
There are restrictions on food stuffs that you can bring and no plants/flowers. So if Mum wants to bring flowers with her she will have to buy them in Canada.
... and if your dad buys any guns while he is in Chicago he shouldn't try to take them into Canada either ...
Old May 8th 2009, 2:35 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Be sure to check with the Visa Waiver wizard to make sure that you're mom's passport is in compliance with the newest regulations.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...sa_wizard.html
Old May 8th 2009, 3:40 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Thanks everyone for your great replies. Yes, it's going to be a lovely mothers day for me and my mum and also my daughter is traveling with them so it will be lovely for me and my daughter too! No flowers to Canada though! Their passports pass the test.

He he... I can't see my dad taking a gun with him. Although he was a rear air gunner in Lancaster bombers and Wellington bombers in WWII. He has some interesting tales to tell.

Nice memories for you Meauxna, I'm glad I could help!

Thanks again

Maggie