US Keyboard Layout

Old May 5th 2009, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default US Keyboard Layout

I thought about putting this in the Lab but figured it would only interest US residents (and even only slightly for them!).

I decided to get a US keyboard to replace my Microsoft Ergo UK keyboard so that I could get used to the differences (you know, in case I EVER get a job in IT here.....).

I can cope with the " and @ being switched around, but what's with the single-height Enter key......I keep hitting backslash!
Old May 5th 2009, 8:42 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Keyboard Layout

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
I thought about putting this in the Lab but figured it would only interest US residents (and even only slightly for them!).

I decided to get a US keyboard to replace my Microsoft Ergo UK keyboard so that I could get used to the differences (you know, in case I EVER get a job in IT here.....).

I can cope with the " and @ being switched around, but what's with the single-height Enter key......I keep hitting backslash!
Easiest way to get used to it is to buy a laptop. You have to relearn everything from scratch anyway, so it sets you up faster.
Old May 5th 2009, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

It took me a while to get used to the @ and " being switched. I never really noticed the Enter key.
One little thing that's slightly irritating is they (obviously) don't have the pound sign over here so when i'm sending emails to people back home i always have to write pounds or quid after the number.
Old May 5th 2009, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Try one of these?
Old May 5th 2009, 9:10 pm

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orangemirror
It took me a while to get used to the @ and " being switched. I never really noticed the Enter key.
One little thing that's slightly irritating is they (obviously) don't have the pound sign over here so when i'm sending emails to people back home i always have to write pounds or quid after the number.
Assuming you're using Windows, press and hold Alt while typing 0163 on the numeric pad.
Old May 5th 2009, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by syllk
Assuming you're using Windows, press and hold Alt while typing 0163 on the numeric pad.
Nice!
i should have realised there's a way and I'm probably the only Brit in America who doesn't know it. Now i just have to remember 0163.
Old May 5th 2009, 9:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

(\(\
( --)
((')(')

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 5th 2009 at 9:18 pm.
Old May 5th 2009, 9:27 pm

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Nice!
i should have realised there's a way and I'm probably the only Brit in America who doesn't know it. Now i just have to remember 0163.
Yeah, I had to look it up again!
Old May 5th 2009, 9:47 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

You can make £ with alt 156 too.

There are two sets, one with three digits and one with four digits.

167 makes º
171 makes ½
172 makes ¼

One rainy day when I had nothing to do, I set them up in a spreadsheet.
Old May 5th 2009, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

welshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud of

I have been trying to figure out for over 3 months how to get a £ sign, THANKS!! Lol
Old May 5th 2009, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Try one of these?
Need an ergo keyboard.....I'm a touchtyping geek.
Old May 5th 2009, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nice!
I'm going to think of JFK driving the General Lee in the mountains throwing pound notes out of the window. That might help me remember?
Old May 5th 2009, 11:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

£ Alt 156 is easier to remember...

But the thing that's annoying is the tild key shift as well odd little things like |...
Old May 6th 2009, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Need an ergo keyboard.....I'm a touchtyping geek.
OK, how about this one, Mr. Fussypants
Old May 6th 2009, 2:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
OK, how about this one, Mr. Fussypants
$200? You might as well go get the customisable OLED jobby and arrange the keys how you like...it's been out a while, they must have a ergo layout by now...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.