Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

British hubby getting US Citizenship

British hubby getting US Citizenship

Old Jan 1st 2019, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

pendledreams5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British hubby getting US Citizenship

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Having done some quick further research it looks like 'sunburn' could be correct. I based my answer on the actions of a relative of mine who moved back to UK while his naturalisation was processing and then returned to US to complete the process. However, whether he ever declared he had moved I don't know and it was years ago. Based on several answers from various forum when googling " going through naturalisation process in US, can I move/travel" the general consensus seems to be NOT a good idea, as one could be seen to be abandoning your permanent resident status (which one is if one is moving back to the UK).

Apologies .......
Thank you for taking the time to look into that and reply back!
Old Jan 1st 2019, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You messed things up, but it's fixable. Don't move back to the UK until he takes his oath ceremony and has a US Passport.

Rene
I wish we could wait, but with kids schooling beginning in September, we need to be settled over there...sigh, this is such a complicated process, not for the faint of heart!!
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

sun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
There is some leeway for travel abroad but they would question someone's commitment in becoming a citizen if the trips are too long/frequent, and if they've left their US employment.
I traveled quite frequently during that period. For conferences etc...but I had to provide the detailed rationale and keep careful track of my flights.
Travel is certainly permitted. I travel a lot, and I updated my travel information during the interview, since I had multiple business and personal trips in the 5 months between application and interview. I offered my updated I94 off the CBP site - it was one of the first questions asked and the interviewer was pleased to have the official record to quickly type up the new entries.

The OP is not 'traveling' - they are intent on returning to UK. As such, they are not maintaining residence, a requirement of their permanent residency and naturalization processes. It would be bad advice to recommend lying by omission as to both the nature of travel and what amounts to a sock puppet US address, which is why I have stated that it's best to wait until the day of oath, at the earliest. There's no 'taking chances' involved in this situation - short of N-470 requirements being met , this is indeed a case of abandonment of naturalization intent. Under the present circumstances it might result in heightened risk of denaturalization .
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it would be terrible advice to suggest someone lies. I don't see anyone suggesting that.

The point I was making was that even though there is leeway for travel, leaving the country in a permanent fashion, leaving residence, job etc, is a no-no.
The powers-that-be want applicants to be eager to become citizens, and to prove it where necessary.

Last edited by Hotscot; Jan 2nd 2019 at 1:48 am. Reason: Apostrophe in the wrong place.
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 3:22 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I think it must be possible because my neighbours did this. A gay couple, one was a USC and the other an aussie. they moved to Sydney after applying and the Australian came back for the interview. The officer very kindly gave her the oath ceremony the next day so that she wouldn't have to fly back from Sydney again for this. She got her passport and flew back a few days later.
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

But then they came back to the US?
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 3:54 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

nope. still in Sydney and no plans to come back to USA.
On a side note, we will be applying for citizenship in a couple of weeks. Any ideas how having son as a student in Amsterdam will play out? Got a phone call with the lawyer this week to get the ball rolling.
Old Jan 6th 2019, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pendledreams5
Thank you for all your replies! Seems like there’s some conflicting information. Kinda bummed to think that my hubby might have to forfeit his US citizenship application. I’m frustrated that the times for getting it have increased so much. We would have started the process sooner, he applied in November but we want to be moved by end of July, at the latest late August. Current wait times are between 8.5mos-16mos, just ridiculous
There are several recent threads on naturalization which, mine included, have been considerably faster than the projected completion date - mine is still showing on the website as having an estimated completion time as April 2019 despite the oath ceremony having been scheduled for the 24th of this month!

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
On a side note, we will be applying for citizenship in a couple of weeks. Any ideas how having son as a student in Amsterdam will play out?
His being in Amsterdam shouldn't have any bearing on your process, do you mean he's applying as well?
Old Jan 6th 2019, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by zzrmark
There are several recent threads on naturalization which, mine included, have been considerably faster than the projected completion date - mine is still showing on the website as having an estimated completion time as April 2019 despite the oath ceremony having been scheduled for the 24th of this month!

His being in Amsterdam shouldn't have any bearing on your process, do you mean he's applying as well?
ZZ, that sounds promising! When did you submit the application for USC? My fingers and toes are crossed!
Old Jan 6th 2019, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pendledreams5

ZZ, that sounds promising! When did you submit the application for USC? My fingers and toes are crossed!
​​​​​​The application was received by USCIS on 8th August 2018. My case may well have moved a little faster if it hadn't been held up for 30 days thanks to an RFE on my Permanent Residency case which had to be resolved before the N400 could proceed. Good news is that Christmas didn't seem to delay things much, as I was receiving notifications, etc on both the 22nd and 26th of December.

How far along are you guys, past biometrics or interview yet and presumably you're signed up for the USCIS 'myaccount' site to keep track of your case?
Old Jan 7th 2019, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Anne Elliot is just really niceAnne Elliot is just really niceAnne Elliot is just really niceAnne Elliot is just really niceAnne Elliot is just really niceAnne Elliot is just really niceAnne Elliot is just really niceAnne Elliot is just really nice

My spouse applied for US naturalization mid-September 2017. His acceptance was around the last week of September 2017. He completed the biometrics mid-October. Then, he waited, and waited, kept checking online, and waited... etc. Finally mid-July 2018 his interview appointment came through for 4 weeks later. 5 weeks after that was his citizenship ceremony, mid-September 2018. One whole year!! This was the San Antonio field office.

I concur with all posters who tell you NOT to lie, even by omission, on any of your applications or at the interviews. If you move out of the US you cannot pretend that you haven't. If the kids need to start school in September then let the other parent go with them. AFTER you have your US passport in hand - that only took two and a half weeks to come back for DH, expedited could be quicker - you may leave to reside elsewhere.

The possibility of leaving the US at some future point, and being able to get back whenever we want to, was the main reason for DH naturalizing.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 10:48 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I filled my N400 at the end of August 2018, I did the biometrics a couple of weeks later and the completion data is showing as August 2019, Estimated wait time is 5 months at present, I assume that is the interview. My office is Hartford CT, so no indication it is any faster in my location yet.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
I filled my N400 at the end of August 2018, I did the biometrics a couple of weeks later and the completion data is showing as August 2019, Estimated wait time is 5 months at present, I assume that is the interview. My office is Hartford CT, so no indication it is any faster in my location yet.
I filed my N400 at the end of February 2018 and my completion date was listed as December, 2018. I had my interview in November and my Oath ceremony was in December, this was in California.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht
Hi tht,
We are going through Hartford as well! He submitted paperwork in November 2018, had biometrics in December 2018, his account says November 2019
Old Jan 16th 2019, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Havnfun
I filed my N400 at the end of February 2018 and my completion date was listed as December, 2018. I had my interview in November and my Oath ceremony was in December, this was in California.
Hi havnfun,
Sounds like that's a standard time, so the interview and ceremony were about a month apart?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.