Books?

Old Jul 23rd 2004, 1:51 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Books?

Originally posted by a_J_Martin
I shall take a look, thanks! I'm more interested in the more mundane things like banking and tax, health care etc. Just so i have some idea what im talking about when i arrive.
Andy
Thats easy ..banking is slower.... they are just getting around to a new idea.. you call it direct debit..Tax pretty much the same as the Inland Revenue plenty of form that nobody understands
health care = money and lots of it ..life revolves around your credit rating here
http://www.accessidaho.org/
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 1:55 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ray6
Noddy and big ears is better...
Well you would know I suppose - I haven't seen Noddy since I was three, myself.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 2:39 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
Well you would know I suppose - I haven't seen Noddy since I was three, myself.
Think Euphemism
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 3:05 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Thats easy ..banking is slower.... they are just getting around to a new idea.. you call it direct debit..Tax pretty much the same as the Inland Revenue plenty of form that nobody understands
health care = money and lots of it ..life revolves around your credit rating here
Yes,, that is the BIGGEST culture shock for me here, the credit system, even renting an appartment needs a credit check. Without reasonable credit here you can hardly exist.
Tax is less that it was in Ireland, US taxes are not really that bad, no VAT (just sales tax at around 8%). Sales tax is added AFTER you checkout and is not on the marked prices, that was REAL hard to get used to.
Also car buying and selling is VERY different here. A dealer can pretty much give no real guarantee with a car they sell you, also if you trade in your car, the trade in value could be $3500 whereas the dealer will resell your car at twice that price. In Ireland it was actually better to trade in a car cause you would get a good deal against a new car, here the dealers take a huge commision on the trade in AND then get a big commission on the new car.
Patrick
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 3:56 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by inquisitive40
Yes,, that is the BIGGEST culture shock for me here, the credit system, even renting an appartment needs a credit check. Without reasonable credit here you can hardly exist.
Tax is less that it was in Ireland, US taxes are not really that bad, no VAT (just sales tax at around 8%). Sales tax is added AFTER you checkout and is not on the marked prices, that was REAL hard to get used to.
Also car buying and selling is VERY different here. A dealer can pretty much give no real guarantee with a car they sell you, also if you trade in your car, the trade in value could be $3500 whereas the dealer will resell your car at twice that price. In Ireland it was actually better to trade in a car cause you would get a good deal against a new car, here the dealers take a huge commision on the trade in AND then get a big commission on the new car.
Patrick
That's been very frustrating for my husband as well. There is no such thing as "credit" back in his country. There are deals made between people, but it's not the big banking thing it is here.

On his third day here, I took him with me to buy a new car. He was amazed that it could be done just like that, in about 3 hours time, and with absolutely no cash in hand. Even the small down payment was made on a credit card. Of course, they wouldn't put his name on any of the paperwork because he had no SSN at that time. In Iran, you wait until you have cash in hand to buy a car!

We went to get him a cell phone, and they wouldn't let him open his own account because he didn't have a SSN or credit history. We added him to my existing account.

He had to learn how to use a debit card, the ATM machine, and how to write a check. Everything is CASH back in his country. Our next step is to get him a secured credit card.

He was talking about the future and opening his own business. He started to say something about saving enough money to do that. That prompted a whole new discussion of getting a small business loan - if you wait until you save that much money, you'll never make it here.

This is an immigrant who not only has to deal with leaving his homeland and learning a new language, but also has to completely change his idea of how to handle finances and business. I have to say, he's doing very well, though!

Rene
sorry...went OT on all that, but just thought it was interesting how some people REALLY need to learn about life in America!
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 4:12 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Originally posted by Noorah101
That's been very frustrating for my husband as well. There is no such thing as "credit" back in his country. There are deals made between people, but it's not the big banking thing it is here.

On his third day here, I took him with me to buy a new car. He was amazed that it could be done just like that, in about 3 hours time, and with absolutely no cash in hand. Even the small down payment was made on a credit card. Of course, they wouldn't put his name on any of the paperwork because he had no SSN at that time. In Iran, you wait until you have cash in hand to buy a car!

We went to get him a cell phone, and they wouldn't let him open his own account because he didn't have a SSN or credit history. We added him to my existing account.

He had to learn how to use a debit card, the ATM machine, and how to write a check. Everything is CASH back in his country. Our next step is to get him a secured credit card.

He was talking about the future and opening his own business. He started to say something about saving enough money to do that. That prompted a whole new discussion of getting a small business loan - if you wait until you save that much money, you'll never make it here.

This is an immigrant who not only has to deal with leaving his homeland and learning a new language, but also has to completely change his idea of how to handle finances and business. I have to say, he's doing very well, though!

Rene
sorry...went OT on all that, but just thought it was interesting how some people REALLY need to learn about life in America!

Credit can be an issue in Ireland BUT is not as bad as here (even though I have heard they have gotten worse). In Ireland when I bought my house, all I needed was an address that had clean credit to apply for the mortgage, there is no SSN there and so you are not tracked the same way as here. Also in Ireland (when I was last there) you either got approved for a loan or your were not approved, there was no different loan rates depending on your credit, that is a REAL sucky thing here. The final thing here that REALLY hurts my head with credit is that unless you take out credit you cannot get credit. When we moved here from St Louis, we cleared all our outstanding bills because my SO did not have a job and so we cleared any bill that we could, consequentially we now have no loan payments or anything to show we are good for making payments and so pretty much have zero credit,, once I start working here we intend to get a secured credit card to get our credit back BUT it is such a crazy concept, you need a credit card basically to get credit. Also the way applying for credit can screw you and then simply closing a bank account decreases your credit score, it is a TOTAL minefield.
Patrick
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 4:22 am
Ray

Patrick.. The way it works here......if you need credit ..difficult
if you don't need credit ..you can have as much as you like ..
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 4:28 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

Patrick.. The way it works here......if you need credit ..difficult
if you don't need credit ..you can have as much as you like ..
EXACTLY....
You summed it up very nicely Ray
Patrick
Old Jul 24th 2004, 12:03 am
Andy

a_J_Martin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DCMark
Idaho is a very conservative state. Very farm-centric too with not too much big cities. Good luck
Yeah, i've been loads of times, i'm a bit worried about those things, well both the things you mentioned actually. But its a nice place and the weather is so good. It's early day yet anyway, we are definately starting out there because it's where her parents live.

But it all depends on where i can find a job ultimately!

Andy
Old Jul 24th 2004, 12:16 am
Andy

a_J_Martin is an unknown quantity at this point

hmmm... gives me a headache just thinking about it! I'm used to all my tax being done for me. And the thought of sorting out health insurance etc is a little daunting. I should imagine it's not that bad though. At least there's direct debit i use that to death.