Wikiposts

Books?

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:36 am
Andy

a_J_Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Books?

Can anyone reccomend a good book on living in america? By any chance?

Thanks

Andy
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:46 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Books?

Originally posted by a_J_Martin
Can anyone reccomend a good book on living in america? By any chance?Thanks Andy
Andy it might be better to go for a book on you State of destination...Things can vary so wildly...
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:58 am
AOS-LA District Office

mc898 has a brilliant futuremc898 has a brilliant futuremc898 has a brilliant futuremc898 has a brilliant futuremc898 has a brilliant futuremc898 has a brilliant future

Thanks

Andy
my fiance bought a book in the UK but I don't have the name of the book or the name of the author.

I'll ask him to post the info later.

Good luck in finding what you're looking for !
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 9:04 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Originally posted by mc898
my fiance bought a book in the UK but I don't have the name of the book or the name of the author.

I'll ask him to post the info later.

Good luck in finding what you're looking for !
I agree with Ray6, think of each state as seperate countries, we lived in St Louis Missouri and now live in SF Bay Area in California,,, TOTATLLY different experiences in lifestyle and living.
EXAMPLE: Walk down the street in Florrissant,, people look at you as if you must need a ride, NO one walks in Missouri, smoking is also much more acceptable.
All of the above are exact opposite in California, people are much more outdoor (humidity in summer and cold in winter in Missouri make outside not very nice in either summer or winter).
What do you think you might learn from a book anyhow?
Patrick
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 9:20 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Andy
Just curious if you're looking for a "book of facts" type of thing, or "real-life stories type" of thing. Do you mean a book about living in America from the point of view of an immigrant? I can recommend some books about life in America that were written by Iranian immigrants, if that interests you....

There is a series of books called "Culture Shock". I've seen many of them regarding Middle Eastern cultures. There might be one on America - USA. Check it out.

Rene
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 9:54 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Here's one you may find interesting - "Song of America" by George Mardikian. He was an Armenian-born, naturalized US citizen. The book looks at the US through the eyes of an immigrant.

Ian
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 10:05 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ian-mstm
Here's one you may find interesting - "Song of America" by George Mardikian. He was an Armenian-born, naturalized US citizen. The book looks at the US through the eyes of an immigrant.

Ian
Another good one (although kind of outdated...but still quaint) is "My Name is Aram", also by Armenian author William Saroyan. Not sure if the author is American-born or immigrated as a child with his parents, but it looks at life in America through the eyes of a child of immigrant parents.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jul 22nd 2004 at 10:08 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 10:08 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Ian
If he is american born how can he write a book through the eyes of an immigrant?
Personally speaking every person is different and feel different about living somewhere new. Where I live right now reminds me very much of the suburbs of Dublin, my main difficulty is always remembering I am some many thousands of miles from home. It also depends on your original lifestyle. If you are a drinker and liked the pubs of Europe, then the US will be a very different place for you. Also your age makes a difference also.
The main thing I think anyone immigrating to the US should consider is will their bride to be have the understanding and patience to deal with the low times and cultural differences that any immigrant suffers. I am very lucky with my SO and she has been there for me every step of the way. Remember your love of your life may be the only friend you have in your new country for many months and in some ways the friends you make here will be very different to the ones you left behind.
Patrick
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 10:10 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by inquisitive40
If he is american born how can he write a book through the eyes of an immigrant?
You should read more carefully - Armenian, not American!

Ian
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 10:11 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

You should read more carefully - Armenian, not American!

Ian
DUH !!! Eyesight must be dimming
Yes there would be a huge difference from Armenia.
Patrick
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 10:21 am

Personally speaking every person is different and feel different about living somewhere new. Where I live right now reminds me very much of the suburbs of Dublin, my main difficulty is always remembering I am some many thousands of miles from home. It also depends on your original lifestyle. If you are a drinker and liked the pubs of Europe, then the US will be a very different place for you. Also your age makes a difference also.
The main thing I think anyone immigrating to the US should consider is will their bride to be have the understanding and patience to deal with the low times and cultural differences that any immigrant suffers. I am very lucky with my SO and she has been there for me every step of the way. Remember your love of your life may be the only friend you have in your new country for many months and in some ways the friends you make here will be very different to the ones you left behind.
Patrick
Patrick,

The author is Armenian-born. Not American-born.

Rene
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 10:26 am
Account Closed

Originally posted by Noorah101
The author is Armenian-born. Not American-born.
I have to snicker here because it reminded me something... I once mentioned to someone that I was Canadian and they couldn't understand why I wasn't speaking French! "Your English is really good" she said! I really wanted to say something but bit my tongue instead!

Ian
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 10:34 am

Patrick
I find it very interesting to read about different cultures' impressions of America, and their experiences here. It's been very difficult to explain to my husband about taxes, life insurance, self-employment rules, credit cards, and bank loans....these thing just simply don't exist in his country. Although he's heard about them, it's another thing to actually learn to live with and utilize them. He asked me on the phone the other night if I remember how much he has in his checking account. I went right on line, looked it up, and even told him where and how much his last purchase was! He was a little taken aback that all this information is right there immediately! These are totally new concepts for him, and it makes life very interesting. If there's not a book out there, there should be! Maybe I should write one!

Rene
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

21stcenturylove is on a distinguished road

Can anyone reccomend a good book on living in america? By any chance? Thanks Andy
I think "101 American Customs : Understanding Language and Culture Through Common Practices" by Harry Collis, Joe Kohl would be an ideal start to learning the general American Culture.

It talks about very basic things like Blue is for Boys / Pink is for girls, Marking X for kisses, Hot dogs at baseball game, TGIF, An apple for the teacher, Chewing gum, The High Five, Potluck Dinners, The Man walks on the outside, Coupon clipping, and so on.....a very interesting read for the outsiders and its a very cheap book too.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 11:00 am
AOS-LA District Office

mc898 has a brilliant futuremc898 has a brilliant futuremc898 has a brilliant futuremc898 has a brilliant futuremc898 has a brilliant futuremc898 has a brilliant future

Thanks

Andy
Here is the detailed info on the book I mentioned:

UK Published
"Living and Working in America"
6th Edition Published 2004
Author: Steve Mills
ISBN #1-85703-913-0

it covers everything from issues such as
Visas & Immigration
Finding work
Money matters
Children and Education, and everything connecting with daily life in the U.S.

the publishers are
www.HowtoBooks.co.uk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.