Books?

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 12:13 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all
Default Re: Books?

Originally posted by Noorah101
I find it very interesting to read about different cultures' impressions of America, and their experiences here. It's been very difficult to explain to my husband about taxes, life insurance, self-employment rules, credit cards, and bank loans....these thing just simply don't exist in his country. Although he's heard about them, it's another thing to actually learn to live with and utilize them. He asked me on the phone the other night if I remember how much he has in his checking account. I went right on line, looked it up, and even told him where and how much his last purchase was! He was a little taken aback that all this information is right there immediately! These are totally new concepts for him, and it makes life very interesting. If there's not a book out there, there should be! Maybe I should write one!

Rene

That is so funny to me, my SO is the USC and it is me who always does the budgets and gets online to check accounts balances etc. I think for Europeans the US is very similar with the exception of the crap health care here in the US.
Patrick
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 12:21 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ray6
Andy it might be better to go for a book on you State of destination...Things can vary so wildly...
Especially in Windy Colorado
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 12:22 pm

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by a_J_Martin
Can anyone reccomend a good book on living in america? By any chance?

Thanks

Andy
Ask the people of this forum.. REAL experiences are better than books
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 12:30 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
Ask the people of this forum.. REAL experiences are better than books
I think the origin of the immigrant determines their experience of immigratin here, as Rene said her husband had a HUGE culture shock moving here, for myself and even maybe yourself had very little day to day living changes, for me it has been the nicer weather, in Ireland a summer can actually only have a few weeks of decent weather, a heatwave in Ireland is a month of sunshine which would rarely be anything over 70 degrees, today I am sitting in 90 degree heat, has been that way for the last few weeks,, now THAT is my culture shock.
Patrick
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 12:36 pm

Originally posted by inquisitive40
I think the origin of the immigrant determines their experience of immigratin here, as Rene said her husband had a HUGE culture shock moving here, for myself and even maybe yourself had very little day to day living changes, for me it has been the nicer weather, in Ireland a summer can actually only have a few weeks of decent weather, a heatwave in Ireland is a month of sunshine which would rarely be anything over 70 degrees, today I am sitting in 90 degree heat, has been that way for the last few weeks,, now THAT is my culture shock.
Patrick
I used to go to Ireland in summer.. there is beautiful beaches with very clear water but it wasn't warm enough (not even in August!).. bummer
Mother cliffs in Ireland was so BEAUTIFUL!!!

I hear people speaking Spanish everywhere I go.. now what's with the culture shock??
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 12:40 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

I used to go to Ireland in summer.. there is beautiful beaches with very clear water but it wasn't warm enough (not even in August!).. bummer
Mother cliffs in Ireland was so BEAUTIFUL!!!

I hear people speaking Spanish everywhere I go.. now what's with the culture shock??
Here in California I feel foreign cause I don't speak Spainish
I do remember when I was a child going swimming in the sea but the weather seems to have gotten worse through the years,, greenhouse effect?
Patrick
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 12:43 pm

Here in California I feel foreign cause I don't speak Spainish
I do remember when I was a child going swimming in the sea but the weather seems to have gotten worse through the years,, greenhouse effect?
Patrick
I can teach you Spanish!!
Global Warming:scared: :scared:
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 12:44 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

I can teach you Spanish!!
Global Warming:scared: :scared:
LOL.. getting WAYYYY off topic here
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 12:49 pm

LOL.. getting WAYYYY off topic here
Yeah.. so what??
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 12:27 am
Andy

a_J_Martin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mc898
Here is the detailed info on the book I mentioned:

UK Published
"Living and Working in America"
6th Edition Published 2004
Author: Steve Mills
ISBN #1-85703-913-0

it covers everything from issues such as
Visas & Immigration
Finding work
Money matters
Children and Education, and everything connecting with daily life in the U.S.

the publishers are
www.HowtoBooks.co.uk
Yeah, i think that's the kind of thing i was looking at. Is it any good?

Andy
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 12:32 am
Andy

Originally posted by ray6
Andy it might be better to go for a book on you State of destination...Things can vary so wildly...
Yeah i know but i just kind of want a bit of a head start on tax and education and how it all works stuff like that.

Just so i vaguely know what im talking about when i get there.

I'll see what books there are on the state though. I'm going to Idaho though so i don't think it's going to be easy.

Thanks for your help.

Andy
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 12:35 am
Andy

Originally posted by Noorah101
Just curious if you're looking for a "book of facts" type of thing, or "real-life stories type" of thing. Do you mean a book about living in America from the point of view of an immigrant? I can recommend some books about life in America that were written by Iranian immigrants, if that interests you....

There is a series of books called "Culture Shock". I've seen many of them regarding Middle Eastern cultures. There might be one on America - USA. Check it out.

Rene
I shall take a look, thanks! I'm more interested in the more mundane things like banking and tax, health care etc. Just so i have some idea what im talking about when i arrive.

Andy
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

Originally posted by a_J_Martin
Yeah i know but i just kind of want a bit of a head start on tax and education and how it all works stuff like that.

Just so i vaguely know what im talking about when i get there.

I'll see what books there are on the state though. I'm going to Idaho though so i don't think it's going to be easy.

Thanks for your help.

Andy
Idaho is a very conservative state. Very farm-centric too with not too much big cities. Good luck
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 1:26 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Bill Bryson "Walk in the Woods"

For when you need a laugh.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 1:45 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
Bill Bryson "Walk in the Woods"
For when you need a laugh.
Noddy and big ears is better...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.