Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

A bit of a mess!! exp. GC n-400 selective service questions

A bit of a mess!! exp. GC n-400 selective service questions

Old Feb 10th 2008, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

eventdrums is an unknown quantity at this point
Question A bit of a mess!! exp. GC n-400 selective service questions

Hi, looking for some help on the best course of action...

Quick Stats:
Born: Canada
Passport: British (renewed recently)

Became Permanent Resident: 1986 Boston (to present)
Green Card expired: 2006

Failed to register for the selective service after my 18th B-Day

I am looking to become a US Citizen. According to the "Guide to Naturalization" I need to renew my GC before applying. Is this correct? I have read older posts here to the contrary.

I understand that in regard to the selctive service issue I have to fill out a form from the SSS.gov. Send it to them and attach the returned letter to the N-400. Is stating that I was under the impression that I did not have to register because I was canadian a valid excuse?

In Nov. of 2008 I have plans to travel outside of the US on a business/vacation cruise. Hoping to not have to pay both fees (GC renewal and N-400) Should I attempt to apply anyway?

Thanks in Advance
Matt
Old Feb 10th 2008, 10:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A bit of a mess!! exp. GC n-400 selective service questions

Originally Posted by eventdrums
According to the "Guide to Naturalization" I need to renew my GC before applying. Is this correct?
That's what the Guide says, yup. This does seem to be an area of contention though... because your status does not expire, even though your card does. That said, just because it's in the Guide, doesn't necessarily mean that it's the law as much as it's a "strong suggestion". Perhaps someone else can clarify this.

I understand that in regard to the selctive service issue I have to fill out a form from the SSS.gov.
I'm not sure what the correct process is for this.

Is stating that I was under the impression that I did not have to register because I was canadian a valid excuse?
I'm afraid not. You were a PR... and that means you were required to register. The N-400 does, however, refer to "good moral character" and, in order to naturalize, you must demonstrate that you have had "good moral character" for no less than five years prior to applying. Not registering for SS indicates the opposite of GMC. Since the obligation to register for SS expired when you turned 26, now that you are 31, you are no longer restricted by that "good moral character" section... well, at least as far as selective service is concerned.

In Nov. of 2008 I have plans to travel outside of the US on a business/vacation cruise. Hoping to not have to pay both fees (GC renewal and N-400) Should I attempt to apply anyway?
Given the time issue, and the fact that it might take up to a year to get a new GC, you might first want to make an InfoPass appointment and see if you can get a one-year stamp in your passport. The worse they can do is say no. If you get the stamp, you're covered for the expired GC and won't need to spend money on that.

Ian
Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:35 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, looking for some help on the best course of action...

Quick Stats:
Born: Canada
Passport: British (renewed recently)

Became Permanent Resident: 1986 Boston (to present)
Green Card expired: 2006

Failed to register for the selective service after my 18th B-Day

I am looking to become a US Citizen. According to the "Guide to Naturalization" I need to renew my GC before applying. Is this correct? I have read older posts here to the contrary.

I understand that in regard to the selctive service issue I have to fill out a form from the SSS.gov. Send it to them and attach the returned letter to the N-400. Is stating that I was under the impression that I did not have to register because I was canadian a valid excuse?

Thanks in Advance
Matt
Hi Matt:

Curious, why did you not register. You were a small child when you immigrated, so you don't have the obvious excuse of not knowing [The high schools are pretty good in letting young men know about, and Selective Service is pretty good on putting out notices].

That said, failure to register is treated more as lacking good moral character. Once you hit 26, you could no longer register.

You will have to file for a new green card -- the I-90 can be done on line. It will generate a filing receipt which you can put with your N-400 application and a copy of the expired green card. No reason to delay filing of the N-400.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:55 am
Just Joined

eventdrums is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your answers!!

I believe I also thought I was ineligible for military service at the time because I was in a car accident and had a titanium rod in my leg.

Looks like I will have to renew the GC first and then apply for Naturalization.

Great site. much appreciated!
Matt
Old Feb 11th 2008, 1:19 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your answers!!

I believe I also thought I was ineligible for military service at the time because I was in a car accident and had a titanium rod in my leg.

Looks like I will have to renew the GC first and then apply for Naturalization.

Great site. much appreciated!
Matt
Hi:

APPLY to get a new card. You don't the card in hand to file for naturalization.