Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Birth Certificate Nortorization for I-130

Birth Certificate Nortorization for I-130

Old Feb 20th 2001, 9:59 pm
Sherry Mo

If USC would like to submit the petition of I-130 for parents AOS, does the birth
certificate nortarization of applicant has been within certain time frame or it does not
have any time limit ? I heard that it has to been after 1996 ? Is it true ?

Old Feb 21st 2001, 11:59 am
Andy Platt

The birth certificate doesn't have to be notarized it has to be certified and, by
definition, that has to be done as part of obtaining the certified birth certificate. When
you receive that is immaterial - mine's 32 years old.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

> If USC would like to submit the petition of I-130 for parents AOS, does the birth
> certificate nortarization of applicant has been within certain time frame or it does not
> have any time limit ? I heard that it has to been after 1996 ? Is it true ?

Old Feb 21st 2001, 8:37 pm
Sherry Mo

If there is no birth certificate and but based on some other government document, the
government issued certain proof. Does it have a life time ?

Andy Platt wrote:

> The birth certificate doesn't have to be notarized it has to be certified and, by
> definition, that has to be done as part of obtaining the certified birth certificate.
> When you receive that is immaterial - mine's 32 years old.
>
> Andy.
>
> --
> I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

> > If USC would like to submit the petition of I-130 for parents AOS, does the birth
> > certificate nortarization of applicant has been within certain time frame or it does
> > not have any time limit ? I heard that it has to been after 1996 ? Is it true ?
> >

Old Feb 21st 2001, 8:56 pm
Sylvia Ottemoeller

The U.S. government is not interested in what any other government regards as "certain
proof." The U.S. government has its own rules on acceptable documentation of birth in the
absence of a birth certificate.

See http://foia.state.gov/famdir/Fam/09fam/09fam.asp, and check your country.

This is a typical entry for a country: "In cases where birth certificates from the
authorities are unavailable or contain insufficient information regarding the birth or the
parents, a sworn affidavit executed by either the parents, if living, or other close
relatives older than the applicant, may be submitted. It should set forth the relationship
between the deponent and the applicant, how well the deponent knows the applicant, date
and place of the applicant's birth, the names of both parents, and any other related
facts. Such an affidavit, when a birth certificate is unavailable, should be accompanied
by a document from a competent governmental authority confirming that the certificate does
not exist, or no longer exists."

So the person may submit an affidavit in lieu of birth certificate. (You only need one
affidavit from one parent.) However, it must be accompanied by a letter from the
government authorities confirming that the person's birth was not recorded.

Sherry Mo wrote:

> If there is no birth certificate and but based on some other government document, the
> government issued certain proof. Does it have a life time ?
>
> Andy Platt wrote:
>
> > The birth certificate doesn't have to be notarized it has to be certified and, by
> > definition, that has to be done as part of obtaining the certified birth certificate.
> > When you receive that is immaterial - mine's 32 years old.

> > > If USC would like to submit the petition of I-130 for parents AOS, does the birth
> > > certificate nortarization of applicant has been within certain time frame or it does
> > > not have any time limit ? I heard that it has to been after 1996 ? Is it true ?