Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

passport not stamped at green card interview--what does this mean??

passport not stamped at green card interview--what does this mean??

Old Feb 20th 2001, 6:22 pm
Susan Manning

hi, my husband and i had our green card interview today in baltimore. i am a us citizen
and he applied based on marriage. the officer did not stamp his passport as
expected--instead she said she couldn't make a decision right away but needed to talk to
her supervisor. does anyone have any experience with this? there were a couple of
documents she asked about that we didn't have (that weren't on the list to bring, e.g.
previous lease) and she thought it strange that my husband had listed my sister instead of
me as an emergency contact. but our marriage is completely legitimate. is there any chance
they could reject us, and if so on what basis? how long will this take? thanks!!!

Old Feb 21st 2001, 5:54 pm
Ed MacNeil

Hi,

THIS SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED TO BE LEGAL ADVICE. I AM NOT A LAWYER. I DON'T EVEN PLAY
ONE ON TV!

This isn't particularly unusual and is a fairly standard practice if the interviewing
officer had any doubts. You can now expect either a request for additional
information/documents or a request to appear to have your passport stamped.

Ed MacNeil Ancient Aviator North Hampton, NH, USA

Susan Manning wrote:

> hi, my husband and i had our green card interview today in baltimore. i am a us citizen
> and he applied based on marriage. the officer did not stamp his passport as
> expected--instead she said she couldn't make a decision right away but needed to talk to
> her supervisor. does anyone have any experience with this? there were a couple of
> documents she asked about that we didn't have (that weren't on the list to bring, e.g.
> previous lease) and she thought it strange that my husband had listed my sister instead
> of me as an emergency contact. but our marriage is completely legitimate. is there any
> chance they could reject us, and if so on what basis? how long will this take? thanks!!!

Old Feb 21st 2001, 8:36 pm
Kathy

Dear Ed, Thanks for writing! Is there any chance she could decide the marriage is
fraudulent and deny the application?? If so what recourse would we have? Should I be going
around collecting additional affidavits to deliver to the INS office or is this not
necessary??? Susan

> Hi,
>
> THIS SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED TO BE LEGAL ADVICE. I AM NOT A LAWYER. I
DON'T
> EVEN PLAY ONE ON TV!
>
> This isn't particularly unusual and is a fairly standard practice if the interviewing
> officer had any doubts. You can now expect either a request
for
> additional information/documents or a request to appear to have your
passport
> stamped.
>
> Ed MacNeil Ancient Aviator North Hampton, NH, USA
>
> Susan Manning wrote:
>
> > hi, my husband and i had our green card interview today in baltimore. i am
a us
> > citizen and he applied based on marriage. the officer did not stamp his passport as
> > expected--instead she said she couldn't make a decision
right
> > away but needed to talk to her supervisor. does anyone have any
experience
> > with this? there were a couple of documents she asked about that we
didn't
> > have (that weren't on the list to bring, e.g. previous lease) and she thought it
> > strange that my husband had listed my sister instead of me as
an
> > emergency contact. but our marriage is completely legitimate. is there
any
> > chance they could reject us, and if so on what basis? how long will
this
> > take? thanks!!!

Old Feb 21st 2001, 9:01 pm
Terrence Pardoe

My I130/I485 interview is coming up in about 6 weeks IN NYC.

Can you post a reply saying specifically what you were asked for which was not on the
printed list they sent you ?

> Newsgroups: misc.immigration.usa Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:22:51 GMT Subject: passport
> not stamped at green card interview--what does this mean??
>
> hi, my husband and i had our green card interview today in baltimore. i am a us citizen
> and he applied based on marriage. the officer did not stamp his passport as
> expected--instead she said she couldn't make a decision right away but needed to talk to
> her supervisor. does anyone have any experience with this? there were a couple of
> documents she asked about that we didn't have (that weren't on the list to bring, e.g.
> previous lease) and she thought it strange that my husband had listed my sister instead
> of me as an emergency contact. but our marriage is completely legitimate. is there any
> chance they could reject us, and if so on what basis? how long will this take? thanks!!!
>