BICS and AP Baltimore

Old Jul 16th 2003, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

curlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nice
Default BICS and AP Baltimore

Does anyone have experience with getting their AP from Baltimore office? It says on their WEBsite you have to apply for it in person and they will approve (or not) on the spot. I hope to go home for a reception following my wedding here - will they grant AP on these grounds?

thanks for any advice
Old Jul 16th 2003, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

mqwang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BICS and AP Baltimore

Maybe yes, maybe not - but the reason of your trip is not really important. What really matters is your current status in the US. I am assuming that you already filed for AOS.

In such situation, the key question you should be asking yourself is for how long have you been out of status prior to filing for AOS. If you were out of status for 180 days or more, then there is no point in applying, because your application will be most likely denied.

mqwang

Originally posted by curlylocks
Does anyone have experience with getting their AP from Baltimore office? It says on their WEBsite you have to apply for it in person and they will approve (or not) on the spot. I hope to go home for a reception following my wedding here - will they grant AP on these grounds?

thanks for any advice
Old Jul 16th 2003, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

curlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nice

I have not yet applied for AOS. I am in status on an F1 visa, and will be married in September. Once I have filed for AOS, I want to apply for AP so that we can go back to the UK for a reception. There is no time I will be "out of status"
Old Jul 16th 2003, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for any advice
Dont worry about the reasons why you want to return home. I went to Baltimore Federal Building and was issued AP on the spot.

Rob
Old Jul 16th 2003, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

mqwang is an unknown quantity at this point

Then you have nothing to worry about. I don't know if a wedding reception is a reason good enough - in most cases people applying for AP usually justify the AP application by more "dramatic" reason, such as sickness of close family member (mother, father or both), accident etc. So just to be sure, I would use the same reason.

From my experience (my wife filed for AP in Miami), some BCIS offices do not really care about the true reason for the trip, as long as you qualify for AP. In case of my wife, the BCIS officer didn't even look at the explanation letter that she attached to her AP application, nor asked any questions for the reason of the trip. The only two things they cared was the AOS application and her status, i.e. they checked in their system if the application was filed in Miami and what was the status of my wife at the time of filing the application - that was it. After a week, she came back to pickup the AP.

Unfortunately, I am not sure how it works in Baltimore.

mqwang
Old Jul 17th 2003, 1:13 pm
Will

mqwang wrote in message news:...
    > Then you have nothing to worry about. I don't know if a wedding
    > reception is a reason good enough - in most cases people applying for AP
    > usually justify the AP application by more "dramatic" reason, such as
    > sickness of close family member (mother, father or both), accident etc.
    > So just to be sure, I would use the same reason.
    >
    >
    >
    > From my experience (my wife filed for AP in Miami), some BCIS offices do
    > not really care about the true reason for the trip, as long as you
    > qualify for AP. In case of my wife, the BCIS officer didn't even look at
    > the explanation letter that she attached to her AP application, nor
    > asked any questions for the reason of the trip. The only two things they
    > cared was the AOS application and her status, i.e. they checked in their
    > system if the application was filed in Miami and what was the status of
    > my wife at the time of filing the application - that was it. After a
    > week, she came back to pickup the AP.
    >
    >
    >
    > Unfortunately, I am not sure how it works in Baltimore.
    >
    >
    >
    > mqwang

If you live in Baltimore, apply for AP with your I-485 and send them
all together to Vermont. The process for Baltimoreans is unique.

Old Jul 17th 2003, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

I would include my AP application with my I-485 application, but for Baltimore, it says you have to apply in person. If you mail an application in they will mail it back for you to bring it personally - this is according to the BCIS Baltimore WEBsite anyway. Does anyone know any different?

Thanks
Old Jul 17th 2003, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

I would include my AP application with my I-485 application, but for Baltimore, it says you have to apply in person. If you mail an application in they will mail it back for you to bring it personally - this is according to the BCIS Baltimore WEBsite anyway. Does anyone know any different?

Thanks
If you apply for your AP through Vermont they only transfer it to Baltimore anyway. Wait until your have you AOS receipt from Vermont and then just go to Federal Plaza building and walk out with your AP.

It really is that simple, they process same day. if you have send your AOS and EAD application recently you will get both your finger print and EAD appointments in around 7 and 8 weeks respectivly, and your AOS appintment letter in about 10 weeks, wait for the first two to arrive and do them all in one hit. The AOS interview will be roughly 7 months from date of application based on current times.

Rob
Old Jul 17th 2003, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you so much for all the info! I am a beginner at all this, I still have 2 months before I get married, but I want to make sure I have all my bases covered before then so we can get moving on the visa issues.
So if I'm understanding correctly, once I have SUBMITTED my I-485 and got a receipt that they have recieved it, I can apply for my AP right away? So I can travel while they are processing my application?
Old Jul 17th 2003, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you so much for all the info! I am a beginner at all this, I still have 2 months before I get married, but I want to make sure I have all my bases covered before then so we can get moving on the visa issues.
So if I'm understanding correctly, once I have SUBMITTED my I-485 and got a receipt that they have recieved it, I can apply for my AP right away? So I can travel while they are processing my application?
Yes while the AOS is being processed and once you have taken the application receipt to Baltimore and come away with your AP in your hand, you are free to travel.

Rob
Old Jul 17th 2003, 3:36 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

mq,

Then why are you responding to the question "Does anyone have experience with getting their AP from Baltimore office? "

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by mqwang

Unfortunately, I am not sure how it works in Baltimore.

mqwang
Old Jul 17th 2003, 8:42 pm
Robin

Our recent experience in Baltimore:

Sent AOS paperwork to VSC THanksgiving week 2002
Cancelled checks showed up on internet banking last week of December.
Used EAC #'s to check status online
Got fingerprint letter 3rd week January - Appt 10 February
Got EAD and AOS interview letters 1st & 2nd week of February 2003
EAD Appt - February 24th, 2003.
AOS Interview Appt - March 6th, 2003
AOS Approval Letter - 3rd/4th week in March - Stated if needed could go up to
Baltimore to get I-551 stamp. (Husband did this for vacation to BVIs)
Welcome to America/Greencard letter in April
Actual Greencards arrived late May.

EAD Appt - You get a #, when called go in room and they take your paperwork and
make up your card and call you back in when ready. (About 1 - 2 hour wait total)
(We thought about not getting the EAD cards but we had paid the fees and
I needed my SS to have a SSN# for Income Tax form purposes)

AOS Interview - Husband and SS didn't get stamps - had to wait for background
check.

Old Jul 17th 2003, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

Glad to hear Baltimore works fairly efficiently (compared to some offices I've read about on this forum!) I am a Grad. student so I dont need EAD; but I DOOOO need AP so I can go home and introduce my new hubby to all my family and friend in the UK (my parents want to throw a UK reception for us). We had originally planned to go before I changed my status from F1 but I recently found out this is kinda risky so I think we are going to postpone it.
Old Jul 18th 2003, 1:25 pm
Will

I went through all this last year also. I sent everything-I-485,
I-130, AP, EAD appication, etc to Vermont. Ap arrived with my NOA (but
in a seperate envelop) in no time. So I would say if you really want
to save time, do send everything to Vermont. That way you don't have
to wait for NOA and then go to Baltimore office, etc. At least that
was my experience. But if you don't mind waiting a little bit, follow
other Baltimoreans' experience.

regards,

Will

curlylocks wrote in message news:...
    > Glad to hear Baltimore works fairly efficiently (compared to some
    > offices I've read about on this forum!) I am a Grad. student so I dont
    > need EAD; but I DOOOO need AP so I can go home and introduce my new
    > hubby to all my family and friend in the UK (my parents want to throw a
    > UK reception for us). We had originally planned to go before I changed
    > my status from F1 but I recently found out this is kinda risky so I
    > think we are going to postpone it.

Old Jul 18th 2003, 9:58 pm
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future
Default Balto process is unique

For Baltimore, you do, in fact, apply for AP in person at the Fallon Federal Bldg... but you do have to have "in hand" your reciept of your AOS application from Vermont. Be forewarned it could take at least a month to get this receipt from Vermont, but once you get it, justmarch yourself straight down to the Balmer office and get the AP- the same day.

My husband did this two summers ago when the BCIS was called the INS. I assume the process is the same.

The rest of the "stuff" of course, goes to Vermont. I recommend sending of that AOS package as soon after the wedding as possible to cut down on waiting time (for the receipt). And student or not- apply for the EAD- you never know, you may end of needing it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.