Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

BELFAST - got B1 / B2 VISA with criminal record....

BELFAST - got B1 / B2 VISA with criminal record....

Old Apr 28th 2009, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Sportychico is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BELFAST - got B1 / B2 VISA with criminal record....

Theres alot of comments on here from people who have not gone through the process....

So as i had my interview last week I feel qualified to give advice:

1) go to the US consultate in Belfast (i live in England) - quicker to get appointment, i was there only 1.5 hours as opposed to 5 in London. Loads of flights from around the UK and hotels cheaper than London...i stayed in Hilton and got taxi (£7) to consultate.

2) Dress - in a suit or look smart at least...i couldnt believe how some people had turned up..tracksuits and unshaven!!

3) Have all paperwork including ACPO certificate....if you have a police record....most older crimes will be marked down and show as 'NO LIVE TRACE' on certificate......this is a good start. Most crimes that are less serious will be 'stepped down' after 5 years......the moral turpitude is such a grey area as well...the consulate staff are NOT legal experts...common sense will prevail...if you have committed a 'major crime' - drugs trafficking, murder, rape etc you will NOT get in...theft, GBH you may be ok if it was over 5 yrs ago............

4) I took references, bank statements to show what a pillar of society i was and my 'crime' was a one off....they didnt look at this added information but the more you have to back you up the better...

Good Luck
Old Apr 28th 2009, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BELFAST - got B1 / B2 VISA with criminal record....

Originally Posted by Sportychico
Great post. Did you get the visa?

Ian
Old Apr 28th 2009, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Britneedshelp is an unknown quantity at this point

I was exactly the same, filled the exact criteria in terms of info i took with me, bank statements, utility bills etc. Of course freshly shaved and a suit will always give a good impression of charactor. I went to London and was amazed how people were generally not prepared documention wise or in appearance.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 1:32 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sportychico
Theres alot of comments on here from people who have not gone through the process....

1) go to the US consultate in Belfast (i live in England) - quicker to get appointment, i was there only 1.5 hours as opposed to 5 in London. Loads of flights from around the UK and hotels cheaper than London...i stayed in Hilton and got taxi (£7) to consultate.

2) Dress - in a suit or look smart at least...i couldnt believe how some people had turned up..tracksuits and unshaven!!

3) Have all paperwork including ACPO certificate....if you have a police record....most older crimes will be marked down and show as 'NO LIVE TRACE' on certificate......this is a good start. Most crimes that are less serious will be 'stepped down' after 5 years......the moral turpitude is such a grey area as well...the consulate staff are NOT legal experts...common sense will prevail...if you have committed a 'major crime' - drugs trafficking, murder, rape etc you will NOT get in...theft, GBH you may be ok if it was over 5 yrs ago............

4) I took references, bank statements to show what a pillar of society i was and my 'crime' was a one off....they didnt look at this added information but the more you have to back you up the better...

Good Luck
Did you get it? Did they say anything about the shoplifting caution?
Old Apr 28th 2009, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

The post title says "Got B1/B2 Visa", so looks like he did get it.
It's not clear from the the post though....
Old Apr 28th 2009, 2:20 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
The post title says "Got B1/B2 Visa", so looks like he did get it.
It's not clear from the the post though....

Well if he got it, then the fraud could have been a single petty offense and the shoplifting caution have been considered irrelevant.

I'm trying to keep track of how people make out when they have cautions. More and more people are getting visas without needing a waiver when they have a caution. The caution =conviction/admission theory is being eroded on a regular basis around here.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

snowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by crg14624
Well if he got it, then the fraud could have been a single petty offense and the shoplifting caution have been considered irrelevant.

I'm trying to keep track of how people make out when they have cautions. More and more people are getting visas without needing a waiver when they have a caution. The caution =conviction/admission theory is being eroded on a regular basis around here.

Though this was an case under Section 43 Telecommunications Act 1988 (called a call centre up and called them a bad word).
Old Apr 28th 2009, 4:55 pm
crg
American Expat

Originally Posted by snowguy
Though this was an case under Section 43 Telecommunications Act 1988 (called a call centre up and called them a bad word).
I may be mixing up my OPs.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

OMG - you mean that if you call up a call center and the person you speak to is a ****ing idiot you can't tell them that they are a ****ing idiot?
Old Apr 28th 2009, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

snowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by md95065
OMG - you mean that if you call up a call center and the person you speak to is a ****ing idiot you can't tell them that they are a ****ing idiot?
Correct

(1) A person who
(a) sends, by means of a public telecommunication system, a message or other matter that is grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character or
(b) sends by those means, for the purpose of causing annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to another, a message that he knows to be false or persistently makes use for that purpose of a public telecommunication system,
shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale or both.

However, most of the call centes are abroad now, and they don't speak good enough english to understand swear words.

Last edited by snowguy; Apr 28th 2009 at 5:12 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Correct
However, most of the call centes are abroad now, and they don't speak good enough english to understand swear words.

Old Apr 29th 2009, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds to me as if many call center personnel might also be guilty based on 1 (b) when they give out information that they know to be false "for the purpose of causing annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to another" ...
Old Apr 29th 2009, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

handbagsatdawn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by md95065
Sounds to me as if many call center personnel might also be guilty based on 1 (b) when they give out information that they know to be false "for the purpose of causing annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to another" ...

Now I have to say, I worked in a call centre for a major bank for 6 months after graduating and some of the customers were so stupid it was highly frustrating..can you imagine having to deal with that all day every day? One of the little highlights of my day was enforcing a petty rule that I knew would cheese them off. Sad, isn't it.