B2 Visa interview in another city

Old Jan 12th 2023, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

brianglasgow11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default B2 Visa interview in another city

Looking for some help please on B2 visa interviews.

I'm a UK citizen, currently in Saudi Arabia with work. The waiting time to get a Visa interview appointment in the UK seems to be around 90 days, wheras in Kuwait it's just 2 days.

Has any others gone to cities they are not resident/citizens in for this process and could share their feedback.

Thanks,
Old Jan 12th 2023, 3:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 Visa interview in another city

It is extremely difficult for a British citizen of working age (are you a British citzen? ) to get a B-2 visa if you are eligible for the ESTA/VWP.

Are you certain that you need (Uncle Sam's definition, not yours), a B-2 visa to enter the US?
Old Jan 12th 2023, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

As I understand, B2 visa seems to be a pretty standard tourism visa.

I'm certain I do need the visa, as my ESTA application was rejected having disclosed that I'd visited Iraq briefly with work a few years ago.

Old Jan 12th 2023, 3:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brianglasgow11
As I understand, B2 visa seems to be a pretty standard tourism visa. .....
You're sort of correct, however most British citizens who are of working age and VWP-eligible get rejected for a B-2; those with a criminal conviction are the most common exceptions to eligibility for the VWP, and of course many of those are also rejected for a B-2.

In the Middle East you may be working along side many people who are not VWP eligible. Basically citizens of Middle East and South Asian countries are all ineligible for the VWP. So it is common for people living in the Middle East to think that getting a B-2 is routine and easy.

And yes, it sounds like you're ineligible due to your visit to Iraq.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 12th 2023 at 3:55 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2023, 4:46 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in practice, the attitude of consulates towards TCN (Third Country Nationals) would vary a lot and was subject to constant change.

General point, the ESTA procedures allow for a new application after a prior denial. Passage of time sometimes works wonders.

Out of idle curiosity. You are physically present in Saudi. But you ask about Kuwait. Why?
Old Jan 13th 2023, 8:10 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brianglasgow11
As I understand, B2 visa seems to be a pretty standard tourism visa.

I'm certain I do need the visa, as my ESTA application was rejected having disclosed that I'd visited Iraq briefly with work a few years ago.
may understanding is it is the only tourist US visa available, but as others note, certain countries are eligible for a VW with an approved ESTA, thus saves many who are eligible both time and money. The trade off… 90 days max vs up to 180 on a B2 entry… but you can do all the same stuff on VW-B and VW-T as a B1/B2…
Old Jan 14th 2023, 3:08 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
may understanding is it is the only tourist US visa available, but as others note, certain countries are eligible for a VW with an approved ESTA, thus saves many who are eligible both time and money. The trade off… 90 days max vs up to 180 on a B2 entry… but you can do all the same stuff on VW-B and VW-T as a B1/B2…
A B-2 visa admission allows for later extension of stay or for change of classification. A VWT or VWB admission cannot be extended or changed.

If a VW applicant is refused admission at Port of Entry, it does not constitute a formal removal with the concomitant disabilities. In contrast, refusal of admission of a B-2 applicant does constitute a formal removal. (BTW, if a visa applicant is offered an opportunity to “withdraw” an application for admission, generally speaking the offer should be taken.).

After admission, a VW who overstays can be summarily removed. In contrast, a B-2 overstay gets to see an Immigration Judge.
Old Jan 15th 2023, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Kuwait was a potential option as it was close by and had a much shorter estimates wait time for an interview compared to KSA.

I’ve now managed to get an appointment in London which works well with a trip back to the UK next month